Boxing for MMA

Lol blanket statements ok. You are the one being WAAAAAAY too literal and limiting everyone's counterpoints to the absolute strict definition of the word "technique," ignoring the simple fact that there have been listed several CONCEPTS from boxing that absolutely cannot be used effectively in MMA (philly shell for one). As for my competence, I have already admitted that I am no expert in boxing. See unlike you I can admit I don't know everything. So although I'd love to keep arguing with your stubborn ass, I have to go practice Bruce Lee's 1 inch punch so I can try that in my next fight since every technique from every striking art works in MMA. Troll.

YOU CAN SAY THAT ABOUT ABSOLUTELY ANY TECHNIQUE FROM ANY DISCIPLINE!!!! Theoretically, you could attempt 100 flying armbars in a single MMA fight as long as they weren't done "improperly, or at grossly inappropriate times." Damn dude try a little harder to understand something....No one ever said that something had absolutely no chance in hell of ever working in MMA. But there are such things as high percentage moves, low percentage moves, and EXTREMELY low percentage moves. I am trying to identify if what my trainer told me about some of the very low percentage moves is true or not. I'm certainly not interested in the philosophy or MMA or whatever the hell you are trying to argue.

Furthermore, if everyone who is posting here had flawless proper boxing technique, they would have no use for this or any other striking discussion topic. They would be making millions of dollars as top level professional boxers. The fact is even great strikers make mistakes, see Chuck vs Rampage 2. Not saying Chuck's hook to the body is low percentage but it did get him knocked out. I'm trying to find out what boxing techniques are MORE likely to get me knocked out in a MMA fight.

1. I think fightingrabbit posts when he's high sometimes but he ain't no troll. He's good people (Been reading KK's log too much).

2. What makes you say the philly shell "absolutely cannot" be used in MMA? That's a pretty bold statement. I would like some insight from KK on this as well since I don't know much about the shell.

3. Low percentage or high percentage of a technique depends on the fighter. A spinning back kick from matt hughes would a have a lower chance of working than one from GSP. I remember people used to tell me "krotty" moves don't work in "real" fights like in MMA. Its pretty obvious they do if you know how to use them. We've already seen boxing techniques such as headmovement, jabs, and body shots from guys who aren't stellar boxers. It all depends on the situation, opponent and how the fighter applies his skill. like I said before, never say never.

4. What does making mistakes and boxing technique have to do with anything? You can fuck up an armbar attempt and get your face pounded for it. You can fuck up a jab and get floored with a counter.

I havent definetly decided on blocking yet. I think a boxers defence is the best going right now . I have however seen a couple of guys get their arms broken defending head kicks,using the classic boxer block. I think placing the elbow on the ribs and the fist on the head is just a break waiting to happen. I havent though of a good alternative yet.

I spar with a lot of kickboxers who block head kicks with their fist on their head but raise their elbow up so that their forearm covers more of their head than just their hand would in the classic boxer block. This does open up their ribs for attack but since I don't throw many head kicks I can't really take advantage of that. I'm not sure if this makes a break more or less likely, you tell me.

1. I think fightingrabbit posts when he's high sometimes but he ain't no troll. He's good people (Been reading KK's log too much).

2. What makes you say the philly shell "absolutely cannot" be used in MMA? That's a pretty bold statement. I would like some insight from KK on this as well since I don't know much about the shell.

3. Low percentage or high percentage of a technique depends on the fighter. A spinning back kick from matt hughes would a have a lower chance of working than one from GSP. I remember people used to tell me "krotty" moves don't work in "real" fights like in MMA. Its pretty obvious they do if you know how to use them. We've already seen boxing techniques such as headmovement, jabs, and body shots from guys who aren't stellar boxers. It all depends on the situation, opponent and how the fighter applies his skill. like I said before, never say never.

4. What does making mistakes and boxing technique have to do with anything? You can fuck up an armbar attempt and get your face pounded for it. You can fuck up a jab and get floored with a counter.

1. He acts like a dick. If he knows his stuff then he needs to work on his delivery.
2. I suppose I mis spoke, THEORETICALLY anything can work, but have you ever seen it in any MMA fight? If so please link.
3. Somewhat true but a flying armbar is still low percentage for Minotauro. It is higher percentage then if I tried it, but it is MUCH lower percentage for Minotauro than if he tried something else.
4. Making mistakes has to do with King's comment that all techniques work if they are done perfectly. No fucking shit. But no one here is or ever will be a perfect striker. So it goes to reason that we should at least know which techniques require less than perfection to be effective MOST of the time.

Lol blanket statements ok. You are the one being WAAAAAAY too literal and limiting everyone's counterpoints to the absolute strict definition of the word "technique," ignoring the simple fact that there have been listed several CONCEPTS from boxing that absolutely cannot be used effectively in MMA (philly shell for one). As for my competence, I have already admitted that I am no expert in boxing. See unlike you I can admit I don't know everything. So although I'd love to keep arguing with your stubborn ass, I have to go practice Bruce Lee's 1 inch punch so I can try that in my next fight since every technique from every striking art works in MMA. Troll.

ni gga what?? i'd triple spinning backfist you into oblivion son :mad:

The fact is even great strikers make mistakes, see Chuck vs Rampage 2. Not saying Chuck's hook to the body is low percentage but it did get him knocked out. I'm trying to find out what boxing techniques are MORE likely to get me knocked out in a MMA fight.

LOL man the only mistake Chuck made was not learning how to box correctly. Chucks a great puncher but hes not a great striker. Know why?? Cause he didnt bother to learn to box correctly. If he did learn proper left hook technique, he woulda never thought to throw that half assed left hook to rampages body without changing levels. Thats why it got him knocked out. Brings me back to the main point. technique.

*awaits angry response*

ni gga what?? i'd triple spinning backfist you into oblivion son :mad:

Your backfists would be rendered useless as I would be in the philly shell guard and using drunken monkey and capoeira striking since it will all most certainly work in MMA.

Your backfists would be rendered useless as I would be in the philly shell guard and using drunken monkey and capoeira striking since it will all most certainly work in MMA.

lols learn 2 read man. these comments are convincing me that you got lost somewhere along these 7 pages.

I believe the topic was "Boxing for MMA", go back and quote when i said all strikes from all striking arts, such as kung fu or capoeira would work for MMA. I specifically stated Boxing in every post i made. I maybe a troll but you need some reading comprehension.

ya stupid sonofa

lols learn 2 read man. these comments are convincing me that you got lost somewhere along these 7 pages.

I believe the topic was "Boxing for MMA", go back and quote when i said all strikes from all striking arts, such as kung fu or capoeira would work for MMA. I specifically stated Boxing in every post i made. I maybe a troll but you need some reading comprehension.

ya stupid sonofa

Thats besides the point. I didnt ask about Judo and BJJ, as im aware there are moves used in grappling just for points and flash. But Boxing is the aspect of pure hands. Hands are used in every and any stiking art you take, MT, TKD, Joe Son Do, whatever it maybe.

Ok so all grappling arts use moves for "points and flash" but not all striking arts? Kung Fu does, Capoeira does, MT does, JKD does, Joe Son Do does, but not Boxing? Moron.

I use Karate blocking for MMA. I think I'll stick with that. Leg kicks and mid kicks can basically be negated. Slip up and you could break the back of your forearm doing it though.

Well.

Once you start telling yourself you "can't" do something it limits you.

Mixed Martial Arts is about No limits.

There is always a situation where the thing "you can't do" is the right thing to do. Just as the high risk move can make a lot of sense in the right situation.

As for Head Movement. Full on Boxing head movement works and can work HOWEVER you have some real danger in having Predictable head movement because then your opponent will time you and hit you with a knee.

The complexity of the fight is much much greater but there are no "off limit's moves".

Listen to your trainer obviously but keep an open mind.

Also the jab to the body may not be effective in terms of damage. But in terms of setting up a shot/throwing your opponent off b/c he thinks shot with the level change vs. jab. Makes it useful.

I disagree with everything, because you should be well rounded and not worry about getting tooken down if you are competing in MMA. Also, the jab to the body is a tool hardly anyone uses, but I have no clue why.
1)It opens up so many more options
2)It can hurt and wear down your opponent
3)It keeps your opponent guessing

Back