Boxing for MMA

Shuffling forward to land a jab?

lol wait so, What are your other options if not shuffling forward? What would make it more MMA appropriate? Maybe lunging with the jab? Maybe a Jump? Shuffling is basic footwork. How else? If not shuffling or taking little steps?

This thread reminds me of "the jab does not work in Mixed Martial Arts"..first we argued the jab doesnt work, now we're arguing that the footwork used to deliver it doesnt work in MMA. Ridiculous. I agree with the fact that pure boxing stance might not work, but im goign to need you to convince me otherwise on the footwork.

I never understand when people say the boxing stance doesnt work in MMA because it will get you taken down.

What striking stance wont get you taken down?

You probably have a better chance of being on your back with a muay thai/kickboxing stance than you do a boxing stance.

The point is you have to rely on other skills to prevent being taken down. Those skills include athleticism, quickness and wrestling ability.

Not everyone needs to kick either. Just because MMA allows for kicks, doesn't mean they're a necessity to winning.

Leg kicks are very underrated and can be used effectively to keep a taller, faster, and/or aggressive opponent off balance. Nick Serra got beat with leg kicks on the CBS undercard. Every time he came in for the takedown, he got punished with a leg kick.

Leg kicks are very underrated and can be used effectively to keep a taller, faster, and/or aggressive opponent off balance. Nick Serra got beat with leg kicks on the CBS undercard. Every time he came in for the takedown, he got punished with a leg kick.

You misunderstood him.

This guy named BJ...he's kinda good...he doesn't use kicks.

There's this other guy named Gomi who doesn't hardly ever use kicks. He's okay too, kind of a can according to most of the "experts" in the heavyweights forum. :rolleyes:

He's correct. Listen to him.

i think it has more to do with the stance than any other technique. You need to be a bit more squared up in mma/kickboxing. Other than that.. i don't think it really matters.

I don't see how anyone who watches enough MMA and boxing can come to that conclusion.

If you actually train and disagree with me here, please say why and I'd be happy to talk about it. If you do not train and your experience comes from the shows you watch, don't waste my time.

If you actually train and disagree with me here, please say why and I'd be happy to talk about it. If you do not train and your experience comes from the shows you watch, don't waste my time.

I have another proposal.

How about when you don't know who trains around here and who doesn't, who contributes valuable information and who doesn't, you can the attitude?

Rink's a good poster, who indeed trains.

Nah dude, Ibeen bullshitting everyone. I get all my stuff from TUF. Season 7 is really taking my skills to the next level.

I would, but I discussed this issue many many times. It kinda gets old explaining the same shit after awhile, you know? If I'm bored enough later tonight, I'll think about.

I have another proposal.

How about when you don't know who trains around here and who doesn't, who contributes valuable information and who doesn't, you can the attitude?

Feel free to read my post again if it didn't make sense the first time. I never questioned what type of poster Rink was. And if he trains and disagrees I'd be happy to discuss it, exactly as I stated in my post.

I would, but I discussed this issue many many times. It kinda gets old explaining the same shit after awhile, you know? If I'm bored enough later tonight, I'll think about.

Yeah, I hear ya. I don't often get in these discussions anymore because it does indeed get old. No worries.

Feel free to read my post again if it didn't make sense the first time. I never questioned what type of poster Rink was. And if he trains and disagrees I'd be happy to discuss it, exactly as I stated in my post.

Despite your condescending, your post made perfect sense the first time. You very clearly indicated perceiving that Rink might be the kind of person who inferred his perspective from watching shows. Either that or you just tossed out an antagonistic comment just to do it.

However, I'd not so quickly dismiss the tool of observation. Training is one thing, seeing good Fighters in action who practice antithesis methods to the notions expressed may provide a base for ideas that exist outside the scope of training.

To listen to some people in this thread, and MMA Fighter must stand square, not ever slip anything other than a jab, and practice less developed footwork, all simply out of fear for what may happen. Yet questions remain unanswered, such as why should I be wary of slipping a punch and being clinched if a clinch may just be my goal?

A person could train very much and not encounter such a notion, depending on the instructor.

yes, most fighters can slip, bob, weave, jab to the body, duck, sway all day in mma
because 99% of mma fighters don't know how to box or use muay thai, neither the proper techniques or timing of kicks or knees

I have another proposal.

Why the hell don't "good posters" worry less about negative attitudes and more about strengthening a fairly weak striking discussion board. I think I brought up a few decent discussion topics that I really would like to see discussed. Instead you are using this as a platform to argue about nonsense.

Well, I'm not a boxing expert, that is why I am asking the question. I can tell you a whole lot of wrestling, judo, and bjj techniques that don't work in MMA. I understand any technique can work in theory, but most techniques from judo and bjj that utilize the gi don't work in MMA, only a certain percentage are even adapted to be used in no gi. As for wrestling, when was the last time you saw a fireman's carry done in MMA?

I was born into boxing and my pet peeve is watching a MMA match where fighters continuously, just cover their heads and try to weather the storm. That's fine for a beginner, but a professional should learn to parry and slip for pete's sake!!

Back