Boxing for MMA

Well, I'm not a boxing expert, that is why I am asking the question. I can tell you a whole lot of wrestling, judo, and bjj techniques that don't work in MMA. I understand any technique can work in theory, but most techniques from judo and bjj that utilize the gi don't work in MMA, only a certain percentage are even adapted to be used in no gi. As for wrestling, when was the last time you saw a fireman's carry done in MMA?

Thats besides the point. I didnt ask about Judo and BJJ, as im aware there are moves used in grappling just for points and flash. But Boxing is the aspect of pure hands. Hands are used in every and any stiking art you take, MT, TKD, Joe Son Do, whatever it maybe.

So you specifically said

"The point is, some techniques from boxing are negated by kicks, takedowns, etc."

Im not trying to chew you out. You made the statement and i simply asked you to name which techs from boxing you think wouldnt work.

Someone did mention shuffling forward to land a jab didnt work, which i find is plain ridiculous, but he hasnt returned to back up his point as to why.

Someone did mention shuffling forward to land a jab didnt work, which i find is plain ridiculous, but he hasnt returned to back up his point as to why.

Actually, it is a wonderful way to throw a jab in MMA. I use it alot.

I'll have to disagree with #3. Being elusive is your best friend. I dont think you should ever be looking to block anything. Puts you on the defensive and you're still taking damage.

The problem with that is the that it is very hard to counterstrike.

Thats besides the point. I didnt ask about Judo and BJJ, as im aware there are moves used in grappling just for points and flash. But Boxing is the aspect of pure hands. Hands are used in every and any stiking art you take, MT, TKD, Joe Son Do, whatever it maybe.

So you specifically said

"The point is, some techniques from boxing are negated by kicks, takedowns, etc."

Im not trying to chew you out. You made the statement and i simply asked you to name which techs from boxing you think wouldnt work.

My point is that in every art there are techniques that do not translate to MMA. Since the rule holds true for Judo, BJJ, and Wrestling, a person of average intelligence should be able to deduct that the same holds true for Boxing.

Since you seem to desperately need me to list a technique for you I'll go with the "Philly Shell or Crab Guard." Never seen it in MMA, seems like it would get you killed. I hope you are satisfied.

The problem with that is the that it is very hard to counterstrike.

lol ever heard of, make em miss by an inch not by a mile? Im not suggesting you turn your back on your opponent and hightail it like tito ortiz. Maybe watch some Machida, hes very good and being elusive and it doesnt seem all to hard for him to counterstrike.

My point is that in every art there are techniques that do not translate to MMA. Since the rule holds true for Judo, BJJ, and Wrestling, a person of average intelligence should be able to deduct that the same holds true for Boxing.

Since you seem to desperately need me to list a technique for you I'll go with the "Philly Shell or Crab Guard." Never seen it in MMA, seems like it would get you killed. I hope you are satisfied.

lol okay. You're comparing striking to grappling. Comparing apples to oranges. Boxing doesnt even come close to BJJ or Judo, so i dont know where you came to the conclusion that the so called "rules" you say that hold true for judo, bjj and wrestling apply to boxing.

The only reason why you cant apply all wrestlign techniques to MMA is because alot of it is used for point scoring like i mentioned. In Boxing, although the amateurs may be based on a point system, All the basic fundamentals they teach you is the meant to be the most efficient and textbook way to dismantle your opponent with your fists while avoiding his. Even if you fight MT, TKD, MMA, the way you throw a punch, the way you move your feet and circle, none of that should change. Boxing is Boxing. Whether you're doing MMA or MT.

So yeah, while they might have to be modified, they can all be 'translated' in to MMA.

So you made the statement that techniques from boxing are negated by kicks and takedowns. Same argument was made for the jab. "oh just forget the jab because its uber weak and leaves you open for the take down"..Case and point. BJ Penn vs the takedown machine that is Sean Sherk.

oh, and the "Philly Shell" or "Crab guard" isnt a technique. A person of average intelligence should be able to deduct that :rolleyes: Try again.

Why's it called the Philly Shell? The only place I hever heard it called that was Fight Night 3 - and I thought they made it up for the video game. Is the act of drawing your shoulder historically called "Philly Shell"? I always thought it was just called "drawing your shoulder" lol

Yeah, I hear ya. I don't often get in these discussions anymore because it does indeed get old. No worries.

I see you're in SF - where do you train? I'm looking for a new boxing gym in the city - feel free to PM me info where you might be able to introduce me and show me around

So you specifically said

A technique that does not work is static blocking of punches, in boxing you can put your hands on your head and protect your self against several punches because you have those big padded gloves (same goes for Kickboxing and Muaythai), so you always have to work with active blocking of punches in MMA, so therefor not as much time is spent on training boxing defense as there is on boxing offence. If you had a boxing match with MMA gloves, there would be much more emphasise on Crazy Monkey guard.

A technique that does not work is static blocking of punches, in boxing you can put your hands on your head and protect your self against several punches because you have those big padded gloves (same goes for Kickboxing and Muaythai), so you always have to work with active blocking of punches in MMA, so therefor not as much time is spent on training boxing defense as there is on boxing offence. If you had a boxing match with MMA gloves, there would be much more emphasise on Crazy Monkey guard.

lol, Static blocking in Boxing is more of a last resort defense for humans, not an actual "technique". My trainer never specifically said "Okay today we're going to practice static blocking, you put your gloves up in front of your face, keep them there and i punch at it" LOL, Thats hardly defense. As with any striking art. You shell up when you're getting your ass bombed on. In reality, you're supposed to roll and utilize elbow parries, very much like CM except your elbows arent held so high. I dont know about you or any boxers, but i was never taught to block punches statically as a technique. So no i dont count that as a viable technique.

So so far we got the philly shell and static blocking as two boxing "techniques" that dont translate into MMA.

Hey guys I am back

My post on the shuffle jab was about coming in from the outside. If you are coming at your oppenent he can easily stop you by just putting a foot on your shin. This is not an observation but comes from first hand experience. You must approach at a much greater angle. Watch chuck l. style of advancing.

You guys act like I am slaping your mommas when I say boxing does not always directly translate to mma. I speak from experience.

Brawling or in fighting with out watching for knees, well it hurts. Putting more weight on your lead foot to transfer a harder jab ,that hurts too.

I am not saying boxing sucks, I enjoyed it for many years. I also feel it is the one art that could transform a grappler into a champ however to say every bit of boxing lore ans skill transfers to mma is simply not true.

Hey guys I am back

My post on the shuffle jab was about coming in from the outside. If you are coming at your oppenent he can easily stop you by just putting a foot on your shin. This is not an observation but comes from first hand experience. You must approach at a much greater angle. Watch chuck l. style of advancing.

You guys act like I am slaping your mommas when I say boxing does not always directly translate to mma. I speak from experience.

Brawling or in fighting with out watching for knees, well it hurts. Putting more weight on your lead foot to transfer a harder jab ,that hurts too.

I am not saying boxing sucks, I enjoyed it for many years. I also feel it is the one art that could transform a grappler into a champ however to say every bit of boxing lore ans skill transfers to mma is simply not true.

lol thought you meant the basic shuffling forwards and backwards. As in footwork. Cant blame me.

And i think people are getting the wrong idea of what i mean by techniques. You mentioned brawling and infighting, and Mongomudd mentioned the philly shell. Those are just all all ways a boxer goes about fighting.

What i mean by techniques is the basic, left hook, jab, straight right, slip, bob, and weave, catch, parry, all that good stuff, down to the footwork.

So now that i made that clear, yeah Mongo, i'd like you to state more boxing techniques that wouldnt translate into MMA.

lol, Static blocking in Boxing is more of a last resort defense for humans, not an actual "technique". My trainer never specifically said "Okay today we're going to practice static blocking, you put your gloves up in front of your face, keep them there and i punch at it" LOL, Thats hardly defense. As with any striking art. You shell up when you're getting your ass bombed on. In reality, you're supposed to roll and utilize elbow parries, very much like CM except your elbows arent held so high. I dont know about you or any boxers, but i was never taught to block punches statically as a technique. So no i dont count that as a viable technique.

So so far we got the philly shell and static blocking as two boxing "techniques" that dont translate into MMA.

Stop arguing troll. You've been proven wrong multiple times now and are obviously just looking for an argument. Get a life.

Stop arguing troll. You've been proven wrong multiple times now and are obviously just looking for an argument. Get a life.

LOL oh yes. Make blanket statements on a forum and then get butthurt when you're too imcompetent to answer them. good work dumbass

lol thought you meant the basic shuffling forwards and backwards. As in footwork. Cant blame me.

And i think people are getting the wrong idea of what i mean by techniques. You mentioned brawling and infighting, and Mongomudd mentioned the philly shell. Those are just all all ways a boxer goes about fighting.

What i mean by techniques is the basic, left hook, jab, straight right, slip, bob, and weave, catch, parry, all that good stuff, down to the footwork.

So now that i made that clear, yeah Mongo, i'd like you to state more boxing techniques that wouldnt translate into MMA.

I see we are gonna have a disagreement with termanology. IMO in fighting is a technique.
but hey what ever.

Of course all punches translate well to mma. I have one point of contention however, footwork. The footwork must be altered and the stance to take advantage of the other tools available in mma. Will you lose every fight if you dont? probably not. yet adapting will definetly help.

I havent definetly decided on blocking yet. I think a boxers defence is the best going right now . I have however seen a couple of guys get their arms broken defending head kicks,using the classic boxer block. I think placing the elbow on the ribs and the fist on the head is just a break waiting to happen. I havent though of a good alternative yet.

1. "Most evasion tactics (other than moving/range) are dangerous in MMA" Here he was trying to convey that bobbing & weaving, slipping and especially ducking are too dangerous in MMA because they either get you taken down or get you kicked/kneed. He went on to say that "you are better off blocking a hook than ducking one."

you can use all the above defenses to beautifully set up your own takedowns too. therefore, mixing boxing and wrestling very effectively. example, slip the straight right and come forward at the same time with your shot/clinch at a different angle than most guys are used to. also, it depends on what kind of opponent your fighting. some fighters you fight, you can use a boxing style that looks near exact like your normal boxing while others require more adjustment.

I see we are gonna have a disagreement with termanology. IMO in fighting is a technique.
but hey what ever.

Of course all punches translate well to mma. I have one point of contention however, footwork. The footwork must be altered and the stance to take advantage of the other tools available in mma. Will you lose every fight if you dont? probably not. yet adapting will definetly help.

I havent definetly decided on blocking yet. I think a boxers defence is the best going right now . I have however seen a couple of guys get their arms broken defending head kicks,using the classic boxer block. I think placing the elbow on the ribs and the fist on the head is just a break weighting to happen. I havent though of a good alternative yet.

Blocking is always a tricky subject. Thats why i say evade. lol, and i dont kickbox, but there is a certain way to block headkicks which involve both forearms. Even then you get your shit broken. Like Randy and Gonzaga.

LOL oh yes. Make blanket statements on a forum and then get butthurt when you're too imcompetent to answer them. good work dumbass

Lol blanket statements ok. You are the one being WAAAAAAY too literal and limiting everyone's counterpoints to the absolute strict definition of the word "technique," ignoring the simple fact that there have been listed several CONCEPTS from boxing that absolutely cannot be used effectively in MMA (philly shell for one). As for my competence, I have already admitted that I am no expert in boxing. See unlike you I can admit I don't know everything. So although I'd love to keep arguing with your stubborn ass, I have to go practice Bruce Lee's 1 inch punch so I can try that in my next fight since every technique from every striking art works in MMA. Troll.

No, like your other two examples there, the techniques claimed to be negated from Boxing are only negated if done improperly, or at grossly inappropriate times.

YOU CAN SAY THAT ABOUT ABSOLUTELY ANY TECHNIQUE FROM ANY DISCIPLINE!!!! Theoretically, you could attempt 100 flying armbars in a single MMA fight as long as they weren't done "improperly, or at grossly inappropriate times." Damn dude try a little harder to understand something....No one ever said that something had absolutely no chance in hell of ever working in MMA. But there are such things as high percentage moves, low percentage moves, and EXTREMELY low percentage moves. I am trying to identify if what my trainer told me about some of the very low percentage moves is true or not. I'm certainly not interested in the philosophy or MMA or whatever the hell you are trying to argue.

Furthermore, if everyone who is posting here had flawless proper boxing technique, they would have no use for this or any other striking discussion topic. They would be making millions of dollars as top level professional boxers. The fact is even great strikers make mistakes, see Chuck vs Rampage 2. Not saying Chuck's hook to the body is low percentage but it did get him knocked out. I'm trying to find out what boxing techniques are MORE likely to get me knocked out in a MMA fight.

Back