Boxing (adapted) or MT for mma?

I'd go with MT. You learn a lot of handy tricks for MMA. Being able to throw low kicks and shin block effectively is a valuable skill IMO. It offers you more tools to use.

Muay Thai.... as long as the thai fighter doesnt neglect hand training. There nothing I hate more than when I see a muay thai fighter who NEVER works on punching skill. Theres a few of them at my gym, they just want to throw kicks and knees, and not work on punches at all.

I havent spared that much MMA, but having trained boxing has helped me alot in Muay thai. So if you have the time working some pure boxing besides doing muay thai would be the best imo.

I believe that if you learn defence to kicks with boxing is the best. The hands are too efficiant for any other possibilities. Imo. I need to be convinced otherwise.
Even Botha in K1 is enuff for me. Mma gloves and Botha wouldve won his losses.

And have seen amateur boxing nat level smoke kickboxing champs. In sparring though.

I say boxing, and my reasoning why most people chose MT is b/c boxing is just rising recently in the MMA world. I'm not going into details, but my reaosning why boxing is better is the seame as why Greco is more successful than freestyle

i say boxing but you should still learn a little muay thai, especially the clinch

Id say boxing and clinch work. In reality you need both but i personaly do boxing and it suits me good. However im working on geting flexible enough to throw highkicks, once im able to snap a highkick with some KO power i might change my mind, i picture myself throwing some highkicks to someones head and it makes me excited...i cant wait.

BlackBeltNow said:
I say boxing, and my reasoning why most people chose MT is b/c boxing is just rising recently in the MMA world. I'm not going into details, but my reaosning why boxing is better is the seame as why Greco is more successful than freestyle

Agreed with boxing. GR wrestling really only works better up top right?

I think mma will end up looking like a judo and boxing mix.

triggertap79 said:
i say boxing but you should still learn a little muay thai, especially the clinch

GR or judo should cover that. But I know what you are saying. Knees and elbows.:)

codysweet02 said:
Id say boxing and clinch work. In reality you need both but i personaly do boxing and it suits me good. However im working on geting flexible enough to throw highkicks, once im able to snap a highkick with some KO power i might change my mind, i picture myself throwing some highkicks to someones head and it makes me excited...i cant wait.

Yeah, but when it comes down to amount of time to work will you still spend it on hi left kicks if you know you need more sub work or takedown or even hand tech?

i am primarilly a muay thai fighter and i personnally beleive that good muay thai is much harder to adapt to mma than boxing..... so i personally think that boxing is better for mma, and should be focussed on mostly. however the boxing must also be addapted for dirty boxing and offensive clinch work. knees are also a big factor that must be utilized. its just that much harder to kick with someone shooting in on you.

Just do both. You need to have a complete arsenal of weapons and then specialize the thing you'll probably use most, your hands. Don't just have a generalized assault, specialize in something, whether it be kicks, knees, or punching. But the thing you'll probably be using the most is your hands.

do both but if you had to choose one, go for muay thai but don't neglect your hand techniques.

If you can only train one go for mma, boxing will tend to leave you open for low kicks and the clinch work is necessary for mma, when you then factor in knees and elbows boxing really looks like a poor substitute. However, you will find that there are plent yof MT gyms where they spend insufficient time on hand work, so it is imperative that you find a MT coach who can make sure your punching does'nt suffer.

Even Botha in K1 is enuff for me. Mma gloves and Botha wouldve won his losses.

I suggest you watch Botha vs mighty Mo, Botha was hit with repeated over hand rights, in fact thats trhe only tthing Mo threw, and was knocked out seemingly effortlessly, the guy is not a good example to bring up if you want to show the dominance of boxing. That, and watching Aerts fight last year against an American boxer, can't remember the guy's name, where he was chopped down with low kicks shows that only training the hands will only get you so far for mma.

SmashiusClay said:
If you can only train one go for mma, boxing will tend to leave you open for low kicks and the clinch work is necessary for mma, when you then factor in knees and elbows boxing really looks like a poor substitute. However, you will find that there are plent yof MT gyms where they spend insufficient time on hand work, so it is imperative that you find a MT coach who can make sure your punching does'nt suffer.

I suggest you watch Botha vs mighty Mo, Botha was hit with repeated over hand rights, in fact thats trhe only tthing Mo threw, and was knocked out seemingly effortlessly, the guy is not a good example to bring up if you want to show the dominance of boxing. That, and watching Aerts fight last year against an American boxer, can't remember the guy's name, where he was chopped down with low kicks shows that only training the hands will only get you so far for mma.

Mighty Mo is a boxer isn't he? I don't consider Botha that good just that most I've seen him is hammering a kikboxer in the corner the whole fight and then both times getting :eek::eek::eek::eek:d in the head at the end. I don't think mma gloves would allow you to cover so much though.

I know Mercer hasn't done that well in k1, but I mean a boxer who was prepped and trained in defense of mt styles.

I guess I am saying I would do 100 percent boxings offense and work mt defense vs mt'ers.

Q mystic said:
Mighty Mo is a boxer isn't he? I don't consider Botha that good just that most I've seen him is hammering a kikboxer in the corner the whole fight and then both times getting :eek::eek::eek::eek:d in the head at the end. I don't think mma gloves would allow you to cover so much though.

I know Mercer hasn't done that well in k1, but I mean a boxer who was prepped and trained in defense of mt styles.

I guess I am saying I would do 100 percent boxings offense and work mt defense vs mt'ers.
I always thought mo was a kickboxer, anyway I work MT as it gives me more weapons when standing with which to attack and I'd rather not develop bad defensive habbits, but then again its certainly possible to work a modified boxing regime and have a lot of success in mma, I guess it partly comes down to the quality of the gyms in your area, its not everybody who has a decent MT gym near them, or boxing for that matter which may well force your hand.

My original background is in boxing, I train in MT now. MT has boxing, and more; I don't see how a smaller arsenal would be better for MMA.

That being said, if you can't box then you can't kickbox. Learn to use your hands first and everything else will come easier to you.

Chthon said:
My original background is in boxing, I train in MT now. MT has boxing, and more; I don't see how a smaller arsenal would be better for MMA.

That being said, if you can't box then you can't kickbox. Learn to use your hands first and everything else will come easier to you.

you can say the same for freestyle. on paper, FS seems better b/c its greco + leg attacks. but in practice, seems like training w/o leg attacks pays off when in an MMA fight. I really feel this way in boxing, although it's harder to use examples b/c boxing has had a bad image/reputation in MMA.

I guess I can bring up one example where you'd be glad u boxed: ground fighting. When I did MMA before I did boxing, when you have someone in your guard you have to "fish" (attempts to head mvt plus overhooking opponents arm) when someoe gnps. It used to be difficult, cuz I would flinch and be scared to get hit. Now that I box, fishing is a joke. I'm a short boxer, so I trained in a lot of head movmenet and I consider myself decent at it. Any non-boxer MMAer who tries to gnp me is easy to "fish" if he's ever in my guard.

kickboxers def do not have as much comfortability here, b/c unlike boxers, kickboxers usually backpedal away or just block during a pummelling in a standup fight, wheras a boxer stays inside the danger zone and is very comfortable defending a flurry of punches. and this is very useful in ground striking. I really believe this skill/comfortability is exclusively a boxing skill.

Back