Boxing (adapted) or MT for mma?

Teknik Mao said:
Fair points made but I think to much emphasis is being put on the more dynamic kicking techniques, if possible time should ALWAYS be made available for strong low kicks.

Knee's are important especially in the initial stages of the clinch as useful tools if you are looking for control and a quick takedown.

Finally MT elbows are something that every great grappler should practice. I have mentioned before my suprise at superior grapplers or BJJ practioners who fall down when it comes to this weapon.

The control exercised by anybody dominant on the ground could be much more effective with superior elbows to body and head.

As long as you distinguish boxing and MT I believe you are only hurting your self as a fighter. I understand the point of developing single skills to the maximum of your potential but isn't not using practical MT techniques just limiting you as an all round fighter.

So I will reiterate IMO they are not mutually exlusive and ignoring one or the other from both perspectives is not only against MMA but would make you a very poor MT fighter in todays climate!! (Its the science of 8 limbs not 6)

I am a newbie when it comes to this as I would like to to train both styles but have been told the stances and footwork are different and I may confuse myself by training both at the same time. Thoughts?

adept boxing to mt then that to your ground/sub/clinch game=good mma

Boxing as a base but MT for the MMA diversity. Need more than you hands in the MMA arena. Just look at those traditional boxers that got destroyed in the early UFC, with NO Leg, or Ground game.

Back