1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Boxing (adapted) or MT for mma?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Q mystic, Nov 11, 2005.

1. funkgsus Orange Belt

It really depends on what you are like as a fighter. Boxing is focusing on hands only, so you improve fast with your hands but you'll be open to kicks, knees and elbows. MT is great but there is so much to work on that you'll take much longer getting better. Your best bet would to take both but if you can't, I'd say go to the gym with the better coachs, maybe one of them suck. If the coach seems kool, tell him what your intentions are and maybe he can help you adapt to MMA. Thats the best advice I can give ya bro

2. chlorox Blue Belt

Kickboxers are uncomfortable there/ but a true MT stylist should thrive in that environment...having said that, MTers would have to adjust their clinch to counteract throws. I think that MT elbows are really not used enough by MMA fighters (unlike knees which have become popular) and could become a great weapon in the clinch.

3. el diablo Death Dealer

Either style you should make sure you have a solid base built. Then you can expand your arsenal from there. Its great to see stand up made a come back in MMA

4. loksxronin Blue Belt

two words, CROSS TRAIN do both to improve both, if both are good, then your doing better. its like cross training judo and bjj, you get the benefits of both worlds and improve the most.

5. devante Silver Belt

i say boxing, most people prepare for leg kicks and can defend them; 95% of mma fighters still don't know how to counter/slip a jab, or use footwork/angles to take away an opp striking opportunities, what's worse is most can't eff put together strikes or close/increase range.

boxing does all of that and more, i am not saying not to use mt; but most everyone is comfortable there, even after all this time mma's guys hands suck ass plain and simple. Guy can check a leg kick, but can't slip a punch, can throw a leg kick..but not a jab, can use knees...but not an uppercut; If u really work on ur hands u will be a leg up.

an as blkbelt now mentioned, the headmovement, timing and tying up aspect is second to none; most arts don't teach u how to use head/upper body movement to def strikes, that works on the ground and on the feet...

ex look at all of rashad's fights... using mobility..timing..angles he eff nullified the all round striking of every guy he faced... whereas someone like luke who had the better rounded skills, was a def liability standing, using his off to offset his pourous def.. that is the case when i see boxer compared to kicboxers in an mma forum.

6. Chthon Silver Belt

I swear, this has to be one of the least intelligent posts i've seen in a while.

You're basically making a big sweeping generalization about most fighters that we all know you can't possibly back up.

7. Zankou Bringing peace and love Staff Member Senior Moderator

You can't really go wrong with either ... that said I think boxing is more efficient to train because for the same amount of training work it is harder to become proficient at MT. You can either be a mediocre puncher/kicker or a good puncher, to become good at both takes forever. That and I feel most boxers learn to take hits and flurries better and earlier than most kickboxers ...

It's a shame not to train both though if you can. It's imperative to learn low kick defense, so you gotta learn some MT at some point.

8. driano White Belt

that

9. Teknik Mao Amateur Fighter

I have never understood this argument and I never will, I can only assume that I train differently to the other people on the forum.

I train ABA boxing three times a week 1 1/2 hours and then straight into a MT session 1 1/4 hours followed by sparring. My boxing like every one at my club and I believe IMO like most pro MMA fighters is simply one part of my MT. Training specifically boxing in no way affects my MT and only small adjustments need to be made in terms of fluidity of movement etc.

My point is WHEN?? did they become mutually exclusive???? Boxing is a major part of MT so firstly anyone who thinks they are different and secondly anyone who thinks they in some way can do one or the other is a MORON, a NEWB and obviously someone who trains boxercise and Thaibo once a week to work off their beer belly and know jack shit about stand-up.

........Harsh but true

10. Q mystic Silver Belt

Well, I did kickboxing a few years ago and recently started boxing and the boxing seems much more technical to me. Prolly a shitty kikboxing coach because, as you say, I would also assume the hands were 'boxing' and they weren't. My kikboxing coach thought I had good hands and my boxing coach has made me start from scratch.:)

I don't like to kick. If, instead of kicking, I just spent time on my hands and defense vs leg attacks would that put me at a big disadvantage?

Time and age are factors for me personally.

11. SmashiusClay Avatar of Cyttorak

For a lot of us its a time thing I cant really manage to get away for several boxing sessions a week, especially as my universities boxing club clashes with my Sombo, on top of training in MT/kickboxing plus a grappling art plus lifting/cardio work three times a week and a session of Vale tudo work. As it is I keep forgetting what it is I'm supposed to be getting a degree in.
    This is a problem with their coach or their training not their martial art, Mt should be trained to have the same hand skills as boxing, anyone who cant slip a jab or throw a decent combination needs to buck their ideas up and stop training at a mickey mouse MT gym.

12. TexDeuce Blue Belt

I am a BJJ guy who has started boxing about 5 months ago. I started boxing because I want to start fighting MMA in a year or 2. I don't care to kick much, and from what I have seen the hands have been more important than the kicks in mma. Is it better to be great at both? Sure. I don't have time to grapple and become good at kicking and punching. It is much better to be a good boxer than a mediocre Muay Thai guy in an MMA fight. I am a grappler first, but plan on becoming a damn good boxer as well. I will learn how to block leg kicks and work some knees from the clinch and this will be adequate for me.

13. codysweet02 Brown Belt

I think boxing is most imporant, you must know some MT to compete but any fight you watch there is probably 10x more punchs thrown than kicks. Personaly i train very very very little kickboxing, i just do boxing and sub wrestling. However im moving in a couple months and am going to be training MT at a gym also. Its up to you really man, but personaly i think boxing is most important. Also if you get into a street fight(i know everyone says not to but shit happens) once you start throwing kicks and knees it becoms assault with a deadly weapon.

14. Teknik Mao Amateur Fighter

Fair points made but I think to much emphasis is being put on the more dynamic kicking techniques, if possible time should ALWAYS be made available for strong low kicks.

Knee's are important especially in the initial stages of the clinch as useful tools if you are looking for control and a quick takedown.

Finally MT elbows are something that every great grappler should practice. I have mentioned before my suprise at superior grapplers or BJJ practioners who fall down when it comes to this weapon.

The control exercised by anybody dominant on the ground could be much more effective with superior elbows to body and head.

As long as you distinguish boxing and MT I believe you are only hurting your self as a fighter. I understand the point of developing single skills to the maximum of your potential but isn't not using practical MT techniques just limiting you as an all round fighter.

So I will reiterate IMO they are not mutually exlusive and ignoring one or the other from both perspectives is not only against MMA but would make you a very poor MT fighter in todays climate!! (Its the science of 8 limbs not 6)

15. OpethDrums Banned Banned

i think boxing easy too. but only someone who's done both would know and i don't think most of these guys have been to a boxing gym

16. OpethDrums Banned Banned

for me learning how to block and throw kicks and knees was much easier to learn than the intricacies of boxing.

17. Teknik Mao Amateur Fighter

Are these posts supposed to be argumentative or something because I doubt you were of any kind of standard in either if you belive landing and blocking shots is easier than boxing. I started of boxing ABA and have continued for 8 years combining with 5 years of MT in Thailand and at home. Landing shots with all weapons including combo's is dependant on the standard of your training/gym/opponent.

Effectiveness is obviously dictated by the dedication you have to one or more specific area.

These generalistations are uninformed and pointless, it just sounds like people looking for and believing that there is an easy option...........!!

18. gentlesilva21 Purple Belt

I just watched the bushido tourney and gomi seems to do well with what he primarly used, which was boxing... sure he took a bunch of leg kicks but the guy is great... I know he uses knees too, cause i saw him take out a gracie with it, but tonight he was all about pressure and body and head punches.

19. phenomfan1529 Brown Belt

id proly say boxing. especially if your good in the clinch. but i think checking leg kicks is important as well

20. Basu Rutten Blue Belt

Muay/Thai/Kickboxing/Savate over boxing training for sure imho for MMA.