• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Books are ruining Movies and TV for me.

I can see that. I don't read enough but have preferred books over TV for awhile, though I like both. Books are great for the attention span too. To enjoy books more I used to force myself to read back in the day, meow I enjoy it a lot. My attention span has turned to dog shit the few years (in ways it was always terrible unless I was REALLY interested in something, it just got much worse, likely because of technology among other things, like the hours I worked the last few years) and books are great for that - no bells and whistles or shiny objects to distract you; they require focus, imagination, and patience.

I find reading improves the rest of my life. My only problem is I tend to not read much and then sink my teeth into a book and ONLY read (sometimes to the exclusion of nigh everything else lol).

In the long term I think books are probably the most... reliable maybe? Form of entertainment, there's really never a shortage of good books, fiction or nonfiction, a lot of shows and movies are meh.

most movies suck since the mcu-verse has plagued us all.

There was an interview Tarantino did where he explained that Disney basically forced a theater to not play Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and continue playing Star Wars through the holiday, despite a contract with QT, and Disney was able to get away with this.
Also, when Dr. Strange came out this weekend, most movies stopped being available to watch in theaters to make way for more Dr. Strange showings.

Not only they dominating financially, but they’re also actively pushing out other movies as a result.

Always watch movie first and then read novel. That way you're saved from knowing when you watch and when you read all the missing stuff gets filled in

sounds like a you problem. i love to read, but it’s never affected my love for cinema, & if anything, it has elevated it because novels will expand your apperception which in turn will enrich a person’s movie viewing experience.

Last edited:
@lsa loves a good book

afd2fd9c7b963c3138afb1cc1d2a3b7f.gif
He can't read though:(

Has this ever happened to you? what did you do to enjoy both books and visual media?

I've never been much of a movie or television guy, but I found that if a story and/or setting was imaginative enough (pre-2008 Forgotten Realms novels was that for me) then I could also enjoy the visuals of it as well.

I'm not the most avid reader out there, but I found out that I really enjoy Sci-fi and Fantasy novels.
the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams is what got me well on my own reading journey. It literally changed my entire outlook on books and how much of a rich experience they can be in your life.
I’m currently reading Dune and I already hate new movies lol I know a lot of the story is unfilmable
but so much of the politics and character motivation are lost in translation.

I could be wrong about movies and tv shows, but it's becoming increasingly harder and harder for me to find a great or just good film that I haven't seen yet. I'm constantly searching through IMDB and Letterboxd lists and lists I find on the internet in general, but mostly everything listed, I've watched already.
Now I just download them on my hard drive and they just sit there, and whenever I start to watch I can't go past 30min mark. new Movies usually feel too shallow and very rushed due to the time limit, they always leave me disappointed.
Has this ever happened to you? what did you do to enjoy both books and visual media?
I've read most of Tad Williams stories and enjoyed them all. One of my favorite authors.

movies are just the brain bleeders of books. they feed a lazy opiate.

Television has never been better. With all the streaming and competition, we get the best quality we have ever had. Yes, the sitcom is basically dead, and yes we do get woke garbage like Rings of Power and The Sandman crap. But we also get amazing sci fi like Dark, Archive 81, Fallout, Stranger Things, The Rain, etc. Movies are struggling, but as long as Disney doesn't touch it, there are some good things to find.

but saying it’s the best and above Star Trek? Idk man.

For real? How many books have you read? It has a very interesting build in philosophy, critical interesting reflection on religion,use of power, has way more interesting alien species (Tyrannid, Thau, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Chaos...etc)
It has much more interesting world building with steaming hive citys rampant with crime, cults, factions...etc and the world itself with the idea of Chaos as an existing entity mirroring our emotions but also creating "gods" with cataclystic events .

The reflection of the buildup of the imperial cult and why they need that alone is more interesting than everything Star Trek etc has to offer. For that you need to read more books as there is no canon and also avoid the trash books that certainly also exist.

For real? How many books have you read? It has a very interesting build in philosophy, critical interesting reflection on religion,use of power, has way more interesting alien species (Tyrannid, Thau, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Chaos...etc)
It has much more interesting world building with steaming hive citys rampant with crime, cults, factions...etc and the world itself with the idea of Chaos as an existing entity mirroring our emotions but also creating "gods" with cataclystic events .

The reflection of the buildup of the imperial cult and why they need that alone is more interesting than everything Star Trek etc has to offer. For that you need to read more books as there is no canon and also avoid the trash books that certainly also exist.
I think I’ve read 12 or so.

I just see the races in WH as very generic. Tau being East Asian with basic looking mechs. Space elves, whose name for us is Mon’ Keigh..Necrons look like Egyptian terminators. The list goes on. Copy past Aliens into WH and you get Nids. Just a macho hodgepodge of other SF/fantasy tropes. I love it, but it is not original to me at all. In comparison to Star Trek, it doesn’t present nearly as much in way of actual though-providing content. it is not close at all imo. Different strokes I suppose.

If you like sci fi I recommend diving into Warhammer40k. Imo by far the best Sci Fi universe leagues above stuff like Star Trek...etc with quite some excellent books. People mostly know the table top game or video games but the Universe is built upon hundreds of books into a depth regarding philosophy, interesting factions..conflicts that its absolutely groundbreaking. I d say start with Eisenhorn Trilogy to look if its possible your kind of stuff and then look into some of the world building books form heresy series or Night Lords Trilogy for chaos forces.

Amazon will butcher the Universe with their shitty TV show no doubt.

Great recommendation, really is something for everyone in that universe, with great crossovers and random hilarious encounters involving Thunder warriors or Solitaires.

the Lynch version was goofy but It was good enough to make me go find the book and read it.
It was goofy in some parts but exceptional in others. The actors like Kyle Machlachlan, Francesca Annis, Patrick Stewart, Prochnow, Sting, Sean Young , Richard Jordan, Max von Sydow were more than a league above the new movies actors.
The storytelling in a lot of parts was just much better then Villeneuves stylish but shallow piece. Dialgo was a universe above the new movie. Paul was a wonderful portrayal of an internal conflicted young man being thrown into the biggest conflict possible and finding strenght and guidance in it. In the new movie none of that exists.

Like you said the movie inspired millions to read the books

I just see the races in WH as very generic.
Well its not about the what they are but how they are developed and woven into the universe. Thats were W40k exceeds in dozens of books by Abnett, Parker, Bowden, Wraight...etc.

Eldar f.e. sounds boring generic but there are some gripping books about their sadistic unique nature combined with their insights into science. Webway...etc In the end its about the quality of the books and if they can deepen the Universe with their stories.
Best faction by that imo are the chaos forces and Inquisition (if we see them as a faction) especially if you loose the idea that they are just the bad /good boys. Quite some great stories told about the complexity of that faction. But if people dont like it I have no problem with it.

Honestly its hard for me to find really good books too. Maybe its my attention span now but I find it hard to get too deep into most books, including Dune. I picked up its book after the movie but it was really boring to get into.

Once i'm hooked though there's nothing like a good book. Movies can't compare. It's just hard to get that initial interest.

Back