• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Books are ruining Movies and TV for me.

KOPPE

@red
Reaction score
I'm not the most avid reader out there, but I found out that I really enjoy Sci-fi and Fantasy novels.
the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams is what got me well on my own reading journey. It literally changed my entire outlook on books and how much of a rich experience they can be in your life.
I’m currently reading Dune and I already hate new movies lol I know a lot of the story is unfilmable
but so much of the politics and character motivation are lost in translation.

I could be wrong about movies and tv shows, but it's becoming increasingly harder and harder for me to find a great or just good film that I haven't seen yet. I'm constantly searching through IMDB and Letterboxd lists and lists I find on the internet in general, but mostly everything listed, I've watched already.
Now I just download them on my hard drive and they just sit there, and whenever I start to watch I can't go past 30min mark. new Movies usually feel too shallow and very rushed due to the time limit, they always leave me disappointed.
Has this ever happened to you? what did you do to enjoy both books and visual media?

I'm not the most avid reader out there
giphy.gif

I'm not the most avid reader out there, but I found out that I really enjoy Sci-fi and Fantasy novels.
the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams is what got me well on my own reading journey. It literally changed my entire outlook on books and how much of a rich experience they can be in your life.
I’m currently reading Dune and I already hate new movies lol I know a lot of the story is unfilmable

I could be wrong about movies and tv shows, but it's becoming increasingly harder and harder for me to find a great or just good film that I haven't seen yet. I'm constantly searching through IMDB and Letterboxd lists and lists I find on the internet in general, but mostly everything listed, I've watched already.
Now I just download them on my hard drive and they just sit there, and whenever I start to watch I can't go past 30min mark. new Movies usually feel too shallow and very rushed due to the time limit, they always leave me disappointed.
Has this ever happened to you? what did you do to enjoy both books and visual media?
and do you back them up on Floppy Discs?

As a huge science fiction lover, this is good. Getting nore attention to the authors out there is always good for the genre. Tad Williams isn’t really that good to me, at least what I’ve read, but hey. It’s something.

Reading a lot does diminish tv and movies for myself too. I can’t pinpoint exactly why, but books linger around in my thoughts for longer than tv and movies.

Last edited:

If you like sci fi I recommend diving into Warhammer40k. Imo by far the best Sci Fi universe leagues above stuff like Star Trek...etc with quite some excellent books. People mostly know the table top game or video games but the Universe is built upon hundreds of books into a depth regarding philosophy, interesting factions..conflicts that its absolutely groundbreaking. I d say start with Eisenhorn Trilogy to look if its possible your kind of stuff and then look into some of the world building books form heresy series or Night Lords Trilogy for chaos forces.

Amazon will butcher the Universe with their shitty TV show no doubt.

If you like sci fi I recommend diving into Warhammer40k. Imo by far the best Sci Fi universe leagues above stuff like Star Trek...etc with quite some excellent books. People mostly know the table top game or video games but the Universe is built upon hundreds of books into a depth regarding philosophy, interesting factions..conflicts that its absolutely groundbreaking. I d say start with Eisenhorn Trilogy to look if its possible your kind of stuff and then look into some of the world building books form heresy series or Night Lords Trilogy for chaos forces.

I love WH. Paint the minis, and read some of the books, but saying it’s the best and above Star Trek? Idk man.

Night Lords was great though.

Ts, what are you more drawn to in your fiction, and science fiction in general? Recommendations can be based on what you are actually drawn to. Philosophical? Rip-roaring space adventures? Ethereal and otherworldly? That’s what makes it the best genre of fiction to me. The variety is insane when you delve deep.

I was told I should start with Horus before Eisenhorn.
I've always admired the Warhammer world/community/lore from afar but Im still not sure its for me.

Dune is one of my favourite books and I went to the cinema with 3 folks who had not read the books .

We came out and they were raving about the film and I was ' meh '. Visually, yea, it was great but so much was excluded.

And the second film annoyed me with what it did condensing the time line .

Only film that has ever come close to the book imo is probably Shawshank.

Ts, what are you more drawn to in your fiction, and science fiction in general? Recommendations can be based on what you are actually drawn to. Philosophical? Rip-roaring space adventures? Ethereal and otherworldly? That’s what makes it the best genre of fiction to me. The variety is insane when you delve deep.

Im a big fan of Philip K. Dick and Harlan Ellison. I'm currently reading Dune and I love it so far.

Dune is one of my favourite books and I went to the cinema with 3 folks who had not read the books .

We came out and they were raving about the film and I was ' meh '. Visually, yea, it was great but so much was excluded.

Thank you!!!

Dune cannot be done correctly in a movie. It is far too deep imo for even two movies. There is no real depth to it(movie). The “monologues” are gone. Duncan is basically just some guy… It would have to be a series. I think a 12 episode HBO rendition could possibly work, but not some Hollywood movie. I just can’t see it.

Im a big fan of Philip K. Dick and Harlan Ellison. I'm currently reading Dune and I love it so far.
I see by your posting what you think politically and socially. I think you might like Paulo Bacigalupi’s “The Windup Girl”. It is great, even if I don’t agree with everything it’s attempting to say.

bb649d6cadfaac92b599a9603ba51fca

the Lynch version was goofy but It was good enough to make me go find the book and read it.
I just adore this movie as a piece of curiosity and art.

Ellison is great. Big fan of science fiction in short form. It hits different than other genres imo. “The whimper of whipped dogs” is my favorite Ellison short story, though it is not really SF. And of course “I have no mouth and I must scream”

Back