Bodyweight Training Program

Lol. Forget that pussy program and get convict conditioning or never gymless

Opinions on what makes those programs better than this one?

More strength development is one thing. More in-depth explanations of exercises, variations, progressions too. And I know that with Ross Enamait's stuff, there's a lot of good information on practical programming- meaning you can easily do your own programme up if you dig his templates and methods.

midnighter is a women? o_O I thought BE and WC were the only ones around here lol.

As for bodyweight stuff for strength. Pullups, muscle ups, pistol squats, plyo jumps (bounding, depth jumps, etc..)

I'm wary about his emphasis on variation. Is this something necessary to optimize bodyweight programs? It seems a little... bodybuilder-y to me. I'm not trying to isolate shit, I'm trying to improve strength and endurance.

So what's the word on this?

I'm wary about his emphasis on variation. Is this something necessary to optimize bodyweight programs? It seems a little... bodybuilder-y to me. I'm not trying to isolate shit, I'm trying to improve strength and endurance.

So what's the word on this?

What about Ross or Convict Conditioning make you think that they are body builder-y?

The use of phrases like "blast your triceps", for one. Having read SS and gone through the beginning stages of that program, I am wary of Ross' emphasis on the need for variation of exercises, i.e. going from close grip to wide grip pull-ups back and forth in a single workout. Or his constant mention of the specific muscles that each variation is meant to target.

To paraphrase Rip, I don't have favorite muscles. I'm looking to get stronger, not prettier.

Here's Ross' sample beginner training regimen for those unfamiliar.

Beginner Training Plan

If you find the routines from this chapter too challenging, consider working with
the beginner plan listed below.

Day 1
1. Pushups 20 reps
2. Body Rows 8 reps
3. Bodyweight Squats 25 reps
4. Hamstring Curls (page 103 or 104) 10 reps
5. Pike Press 8 reps

Day 2
Conditioning + Core Workout

Day 3
1. Band Chest Press 8 reps
2. Band High Pulls 10 reps
4. Band Good Mornings 10 reps
5. Bench Dips 8 reps

Day 4
Conditioning + Core Workout

Day 5
1. Diamond Pushups 15 reps
2. Body Rows 8 reps
4. Hamstring Curls (page 103 or 104) 10 reps
5. Pike Press 8 reps

Day 6 (Optional)
Conditioning + Core Workout (or Rest Day)

Day 7
Rest Day

The use of phrases like "blast your triceps", for one. Having read SS and gone through the beginning stages of that program, I am wary of Ross' emphasis on the need for variation of exercises, i.e. going from close grip to wide grip pull-ups back and forth in a single workout. Or his constant mention of the specific muscles that each variation is meant to target.

To paraphrase Rip, I don't have favorite muscles. I'm looking to get stronger, not prettier.

You shouldn't let that put you off of Ross's stuff, he's legit. If you read enough of anyone's stuff you will eventually find something you don't like or agree with.

Mentioning the muscles that an exercise works shouldn't be a deal-breaker. If anything that's just there to appeal to the sort of people that look for that. Chins, for example, can be described as vertical pulling or as working your back and bi's. Either way they are a great exercise to include.

Solitary fitness would blow that shit away, if you can successfully deduct and formulate a routine from it. Bronson was/still is an animal,man.

So how do you guys recommend planning a routine based on these exercises? The appeal of SS was its simplicity. Is comparable simplicity a pipe-dream when discussing bodyweight exercises, or do you think there's a way to focus on just a few simple exercises per day and chart progression?

Edit: I'd have to modify that beginner program anyway, because I can't do a single diamond pushup. :icon_chee

So how do you guys recommend planning a routine based on these exercises? The appeal of SS was its simplicity. Is comparable simplicity a pipe-dream when discussing bodyweight exercises, or do you think there's a way to focus on just a few simple exercises per day and chart progression?

Edit: I'd have to modify that beginner program anyway, because I can't do a single diamond pushup. :icon_chee

It becomes difficult because you can't simply add weight to most (not all) bodyweight exercises like you would barbell squat bench and deadlift.

You'll have to find variations that keep you in that 1 to 5, or at a push 5 to 10 rep range in order to build strength. You add difficulty by taking away body leverage with more difficult variations, instead of adding weight. Sometimes however, adding weight will be possible and extremely useful, but not always.

And this is often the reason it can be difficult to systemize, everyone is at a different level of strength. Some people have their own strengths and weakness as well.

I apologize if I've rambled a bit of nonsense and not been clear, I've been writing for about 2 hours straight and my bed is calling me lol.

Since you seem to be at a beginner level of strength, I'd focus on the basics and work on building strength with chin ups, push ups, hanging knee raises and squat variations. You could do these every session.
Find a squat, push up, chin up and core exericse variation that keeps you in the 5 to 10 rep range with solid technique for 3 to 5 sets each exercise.

With regards to Ross's workouts, as with any workout, no one size fits all. Just change what you need to in order to suit your needs and give it a try.

It becomes difficult because you can't simply add weight to most (not all) bodyweight exercises like you would barbell squat bench and deadlift.

You'll have to find variations that keep you in that 1 to 5, or at a push 5 to 10 rep range in order to build strength. You add difficulty by taking away body leverage with more difficult variations, instead of adding weight. Sometimes however, adding weight will be possible and extremely useful, but not always.

And this is often the reason it can be difficult to systemize, everyone is at a different level of strength. Some people have their own strengths and weakness as well.

I apologize if I've rambled a bit of nonsense and not been clear, I've been writing for about 2 hours straight and my bed is calling me lol.

Since you seem to be at a beginner level of strength, I'd focus on the basics and work on building strength with chin ups, push ups, hanging knee raises and squat variations. You could do these every session.
Find a squat, push up, chin up and core exericse variation that keeps you in the 5 to 10 rep range with solid technique for 3 to 5 sets each exercise.

With regards to Ross's workouts, as with any workout, no one size fits all. Just change what you need to in order to suit your needs and give it a try.

Cool, that makes sense. Thanks for the words, and none of it seemed nonsensical to me. :) I'll post up a tentative workout plan here and in my log for my first month ortwo of training to see how it looks.

I'm thinking about doing planks for my core work, as well, since a boxing friend of mine advised that crunches ad sit ups can be detrimental to building good posture.

It's already been mentioned: Convict Conditioning? It has progressive movements for each maneuver and a program to follow.

8509361_orig.png

I do hundreds of band pressdown reps to "blast my triceps". Come at me bro.

:)

What the fuck is going on here? Not one person saying, "get a barbell and some weights and run SS/5-3-1 at home"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back