Blind Debate: Daniel Cormier is the greatest heavyweight of all time

Lol at your attempt to retroactively rewrite skillsets.
not re-writting. Adjusting.
DC came from Wrestling world.
In the early days of MMA, they didn't train like today.
So you have to accept he wouldn't be well rounded as today.

We could make a deal. If you want to stick by the 'whoever beats who is greater' logic then you're gonna have to rank Werdum above Fedor. Then, I'll put Fedor above Nog in my list.

Fedor beat him twice though and beat better opponents all around, was a better champ, etc. Again, no disrespect to Nog, but for most of his career he was not top dog in his own org.

Can’t see shit...

8pn-dH.gif

not re-writting. Adjusting.
DC came from Wrestling world.
In the early days of MMA, they didn't train like today.
So you have to accept he wouldn't be well rounded as today.
No, I don't have to accept that. According to his actual skillset, Cormier is a better fighter than Nog was. I don't really care what you pretend his skillset might have been. That's one too many steps out on to the hypothetical branch for me.

Nog's bjj is a bit basic. He isn't going to wrist control DC in guard or sweep him.

I don't agree. 20 years from now we'll still be talking about many of these same guys with a few more names in the mix.
It'll be like comparing lebron James to Wilt Chamberlain.

Was Wilt great? Sure, but it's insulting to compare him to Lebron, who played in a far more competitive league against much better players and teams.

No, I don't have to accept that. According to his actual skillset, Cormier is a better fighter than Nog was. I don't really care what you pretend his skillset might have been. That's one too many steps out on to the hypothetical branch for me.
hehehe you refuse to think logic?
He was a wrestler. that is a fact.

he would not have the BJJ to compete against Nog on the ground period. This is not even open to debate.
And both would have sub-par striking.

ESPECIALLY in Pride, this fight would be on the ground (since there was no cage to lean against).
Nog would beat his ass!
You refuse to go there because you know I am right ;)
<{1-69}>

It'll be like comparing lebron James to Wilt Chamberlain.

Was Wilt great? Sure, but it's insulting to compare him to Lebron, who played in a far more competitive league against much better players and teams.
Wilt 's rookie year was 40 years prior to James'.

You dodged the original question: what is your rationale for ranking Nog higher than Fedor?

Already answered you: Better resume and I don't believe in the "whoever beats who is the better fighter". Now, quit dodging the real question: If you stick by your logic you have to rank Werdum above Fedor. Either accept that or admit that your logic is nonsensical.

LOL
They were the best of their era. They beat PLENTY of wrestlers.
DC couldn't even beat a LHW in Jon. He would be murdered by Fedor and put to sleep by Nog.
Don't believe in Dana's hype.
Danas hype?
People make their own opinions.
Look back properly at big nogs resume for example and fedors ...
In their first 20-25 fights who would you honestly give a change against DC. (cro cop is the only one there that's actually a chance and even then in a cage hes a very very slim chance)
If you honestly believe anyone would beat him there then youre actually a little delusional.
DC is on another level to them.

hehehe you refuse to think logic?
He was a wrestler. that is a fact.

he would not have the BJJ to compete against Nog on the ground period. This is not even open to debate.
And both would have sub-par striking.

ESPECIALLY in Pride, this fight would be on the ground (since there was no cage to lean against).
Nog would beat his ass!
You refuse to go there because you know I am right ;)
<{1-69}>
Yes, I understand your point. I reject it. I'm not interested in how Cormier would have developed under the training techniques of 2002, though it might make an interesting thread. I am interested in considering hypothetically how his actual skillset would match up with Nog's actual skillset. You are adding another layer of conjecture that isn't particularly useful imo.

We could make a deal. If you want to stick by the 'whoever beats who is greater' logic then you're gonna have to rank Werdum above Fedor. Then, I'll put Fedor above Nog in my list.
So, wait. If your list is based on accomplishments and not 'whoever beats who is greater', which is actually what you said:
He should be ranked above the Big 3 from Pride. Based on resume that is, DC just hasn't had enough fights @ HW yet though. head to head he probably beats those 3 all in the same night.

1-Werdum
2-Miocic
3-JDS
4-Cain
5-Overeem
6-DC
7-Nogueira
8-Fedor
9-Couture
10-Filipovic
(Also, which has nothing to do with GOAT discussions)

How is Fedor not #1?

So, wait. If your list is based on accomplishments and not 'whoever beats who is greater', which is actually what you said:

(Also, which has nothing to do with GOAT discussions)

How is Fedor not #1?

You should put the words "based on resume" in bold, dear. That's how you should rank fighters first and foremost, the head to head matchup aspect is much less significant. DC could potentially beat almost everyone in my top 5 but I don't rank him above them.

LOL
They were the best of their era. They beat PLENTY of wrestlers.
DC couldn't even beat a LHW in Jon. He would be murdered by Fedor and put to sleep by Nog.
Don't believe in Dana's hype.

Yeah, beating one trick pony gatekeepers like Coleman and Randleman is so amazing. Please.

In 20 years, will all laugh that we ever thought any of these guys were going to be the GOAT forever

But calling cormier the goat of anything at any point is laughable. lol he's done nothing but KO Stipe. After that he submitted a few top level LHWs. That's the end of the highly impressive wins in his career.

And what has Fedor done outside of beating Cro Cop and Nog, which are incredibly overrated wins to begin with?

Danas hype?
People make their own opinions.
Look back properly at big nogs resume for example and fedors ...
In their first 20-25 fights who would you honestly give a change against DC. (cro cop is the only one there that's actually a chance and even then in a cage hes a very very slim chance)
If you honestly believe anyone would beat him there then youre actually a little delusional.
DC is on another level to them.
again, DC trains MMA that developed over decades. In the begining there was no MMA gym. There were no places to train MMA perse. So DC would come as an olympian wrestler, but not much more than that.

Back