Movies BLADE RUNNER 2049 Thread v.2

If you have seen BLADE RUNNER 2049, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Well the first movie has had 35 years to gain not just a cult following, but to be regarded as a legitimate sci-fi classic.

Think of it like "2001". Widely regarded as the best sci-fi film of all time in film circles. However, ask some regular folks about it, who aren't necessarily into film, and they either haven't seen it, or think it's a nonsensical, boring piece of shit.

I think if you conducted some kind of general poll on it, you'd probably find like maybe 2 out of 10 people actually love that movie.

Well the first movie has had 35 years to gain not just a cult following, but to be regarded as a legitimate sci-fi classic.

It seems that all energy and momentum would've flowed into making this film a success.

I went on Thursday night and the theater was . . . maybe half-full?

I was actually worried I would get there and it would be sold out.

I went at 730 last night, saw it in RPX 3D. There were 12 to 15 people there, including the three of us. I was in disbelief.

I don't know. Terminator 3 really sets the standard when it comes to respect for its predecessors.

Terminator-3-3.jpg

This was fine

It was funny

This was fine

It was funny

I couldn't even pay attention to the rest of the movie because I was laughing so hard.

But in seriousness, James Cameron discussed why he cut the "Terminator learning to smile" scene from T2. Mostow and the makers of T3 were well aware of this, and went far, far beyond that degree of silliness and "Terminator as a clown."

Last edited:
I went at 730 last night, saw it in RPX 3D. There were 12 to 15 people there, including the three of us. I was in disbelief.

That's crazy. Like I said, my theater was about half-full (maybe slightly less) on Thursday. I'd be curious to know how well it did at the same theater on Friday.

I actually predicted a $100M opening weekend, globally.

That's crazy. Like I said, my theater was about half-full (maybe slightly less) on Thursday. I'd be curious to know how well it did at the same theater on Friday.

It is looking like $30 million U.S., which is not great for a potential $250 plus marketing and filming budget. I hope it has long legs and a great international run.

If not, we get more Total Recall remakes with Colin Farrell.

It is looking like $30 million U.S., which is not great for a potential $250 plus marketing and filming budget. I hope it has long legs and a great international run.

If not, we get more Total Recall remakes with Colin Farrell.

I wasn't a fan of that remake, but Kate Beckinsale gave an all-time-great female action performance in my opinion.

I wasn't a fan of that remake, but Kate Beckinsale gave an all-time-great female action performance in my opinion.

Kate Beckinsale is never an issue with any film.

I don't think the 2:45 runtime is doing it any favors. I would expect that alone to drive away many potential viewers who weren't a slam dunk for the Bladerunner brand.

It was a fairly good sci-fi actioner. Like with many remakes and sequels, if you can manage to keep from comparing it to the first film then you'll find there are things to like.

I don't think the 2:45 runtime is doing it any favors. I would expect that alone to drive away many potential viewers who weren't a slam dunk for the Bladerunner brand.

I didn't even realize it was that long until about an hour before I was intending to go see it. Admittedly, when I saw the runtime I was like, "What the FUCK?!" I had no idea it would be that long.

But regardless, I mean, it's fucking called BLADE RUNNER. There's no way I'm not going to go see a movie with that name in the title and I figured a LOT of other people would feel the same.

I didn't even realize it was that long until about an hour before I was intending to go see it. Admittedly, when I saw the runtime I was like, "What the FUCK?!" I had no idea it would be that long.

But regardless, I mean, it's fucking called BLADE RUNNER. There's no way I'm not going to go see a movie with that name in the title and I figured a LOT of other people would feel the same.

Well, there are a lot...enough for the current box office projections. That just might not be enough to justify the expenses.

I think there are a lot of people who also LIKE Blade Runner a reasonable amount...but found it slow and boring and came away with a net positive opinion but not a desire to constantly revisit it. I think these "swing state" moviegoers are the ones that got lost with the run time... What, a LONGER version of that thing I thought was too slow?

At the very least, they're willing to wait for it on Netflix or whatever.

I saw a 2pm IMAX yesterday, there might have been 10 people in there.

At the very least, they're willing to wait for it on Netflix or whatever.

I think that's a huge mistake. ESPECIALLY since this film is as slow as it is, it is of great benefit to be locked in a darkened theater where pressing the Pause button isn't an option.

That's fucking crazy.

Like I said, even on Thursday, I was like, "Shit, I hope I don't get up there and it's sold out."

I remember going through that when I went to see Ishtar.

I loved it. I really think it is a special movie.
Villaneuve is the equal to any director of the last 30 years. The visual imagination and cinematography are better than almost any other director I can think of. Nolan comes close.

It is a long movie and slow at times, though. I think that will turn away some casual movie fans. Could it have been shortened 15 minutes or so, sure. It would be more marketable as a straight sci fi action flick if it was, but I like it as is.
Will definitely see it again in theatres.

9.5/10

Last edited:
Denis Villeneuve likes the slow burn... look at Incendies (no pun intended)...from my perspective it was a 10...as I also said I figured most people would give it an 8...I believe it has followed the roots of the original and PKD's writing...I also think this was set up for another sequel...most people like a short 90m tale in a movie...unfortunately this is not for most people...

I haven't seen the film yet, but I'm glad that the consensus seems to be that, at the very least, 2049 isn't a complete disgrace compared to the original (one of my all-time favorites).

Back