BJJers why did you choose BJJ?

two words man, royce gracie. seeing him dominate all these people at the early ufc's i thought to my self 'damn i gotta do that, it really works'

I didn't choose BJJ. It chose me.

About a year ago, I joined a boxing-oriented gym that offers BJJ. I had BJJ in the back of my mind---I knew of Royce Gracie from back in the day and I wrestled in high school--but I mostly wanted to take boxing classes to get into shape. After a few months, I did. This, coupled with some encouragement from the gym's head BJJ instructor (now my actual instructor), is what made me take the plunge.

And it's changed my life for the better.

Royce versus Ken Shamrock.

I always wanted to do martial arts (I suck at stick and ball sports) and when I got to college, took a year to find out that we offered TKD and BJJ, being a big MMA fan, I decided to try both. Saw the practicality in BJJ and thought it was better than TKD. Then I started to see the beauty in BJJ when I started training under a BB. Now I'm addicted.

watched big nog fight gary goodridge and was hooked.

Former Wrestler, so it made sense.

Good friend/former Wrestling teammate is an instructor/pro fighter.

Some good answers guys. I've always been a Judoka at heart and always will be. Our newaza now includes guards, guard passing and many BJJ techniques. I watched the first UFC in 1997 or so and I was loving the Gracie style. Gi fighting and dominating. But when I went to a BJJ class I was honestly disappointed, started on knees ended on knees. I have no doubt it's newaza is second to none, but sometimes it's put out as a complete martial art but it really is lacking on the take down front IMO.

Some good answers guys. I've always been a Judoka at heart and always will be. Our newaza now includes guards, guard passing and many BJJ techniques. I watched the first UFC in 1997 or so and I was loving the Gracie style. Gi fighting and dominating. But when I went to a BJJ class I was honestly disappointed, started on knees ended on knees. I have no doubt it's newaza is second to none, but sometimes it's put out as a complete martial art but it really is lacking on the take down front IMO.

you were dissapointed that a groundfighting class did groundfighting? Funny i wasn't dissapointed when they did throws in judo

It has been put on display time and time again. BJJ is the best martial art out there. It's constantly evolving and fresh and personally I cannot think of a better way to stay fit.

you were dissapointed that a groundfighting class did groundfighting? Funny i wasn't dissapointed when they did throws in judo

I love doing BJJ, but I HATE midget wrestling.

At first, when I got guillotined in a recording studio in 2001.

Then I forgot about it sometime later...

The reinvigoration was...Jeff Curran vs Matt Serra in 2004. I remember watching that fight and being really impressed with Curran's abilities on his back...I actually had no idea Serra was the jiu jitsu guy that he was at the time. The scrambles and attempts and defensive aspects intrigued me.

BJJ is the best martial art out there.

That's totally subjective.

I guess that's what I meant to say.

It's not even debatable really.

Sure it is. Not that I wish to engage in such a ridiculous exercise in futility, but if I had to pick one, it would have to one that includes stand up. In my totally subjective opinion. And I love teh BJJ and it's what I am currently training most. But really all grappling is good grappling, and everyone has a first love so we'll just leave it at that.

Back