BJJers why did you choose BJJ?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Groundfighter75, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Groundfighter75

Groundfighter75 White Belt

I've never trained BJJ, but I've done Judo for years and trad.JuJitsu. Rolled with many BJJers in my time too, Gi and no Gi.

So my question is why? BJJ whilst undoubtedly a fine groundfighting system it's really just that, ground fighting. So as a stand-up clinch then take down MA it's only really concentrating on one phase of the fight.

Do you train BJJ for sport? or for self defence? I understand doing it for sport, many Judo players on train Judo for sport but I did it to complement my JuJitsu and never for a sport.

2. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Because i already had a good ground fighting base from a good judo teacher, and i thought that half the judo was better than no judo. And there was no good judo around anymore.

Then good judo came, and i found out that good newaza was not the norm among competitive judokas, so i sticked in BJJ.

Sadly, unless you live in Japan, most likely you will have to do "Judo" and BJJ on their own to actually learn true judo.

3. akharon

akharon Blue Belt

I was (still am) a huge MMA fan, and wanted to really learn what was going on. This is a major reason why my appreciation for MMA has gone up 10x, as when you do the stuff, you really understand what's going on.

4. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

Always wanted to do it. The closest place is close to home. It's kinda cheap, too.

5. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

Not to use a cliche but...It chose me. Lol.

I just wanted to compete in a combat sport because I was a big mma fan. Like any other sport I watch, I like to participate in it whether it be football, basketball, or golf.

I started taking kickboxing, boxing, mma and loved it. I visited a bjj school with a buddy just to peep it out. A few months later I cancelled my kickboxing/boxing/mma classes. I was hooked on bjj.

6. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

I'm a wrestler that wanted to learn all those fancy subs. As far as grappling arts go, it's the least likely to incur injury while exercising and having fun.

7. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

similar. Wrestled when I was younger, then boxed a good bit, and wanted to learn how to defend myself from my back. Love this shit.

8. KaosX

KaosX Banned Banned

I don't think BJJ ever professed to be the "complete solution" just that other arts can be lost when it comes to grappling.

That's why you train some striking art along with your grappling.

I did striking first, got bored with the lack of sparring. I do striking a few times a month, that's more of an endurance challenge for me, I don't gas at BJJ as easily as I do in stand up.

Like last night, felt like I was dying and my instructor's pushing "you can be tired, but be tired with your hands up"

I just find grappling more fun/technical.

9. 87

87 Yellow Belt

cuz i don't like to train hard with people in real life. i would much rather get my belt online.

10. tysnw

tysnw Brown Belt

cos i'm scared of heights

11. badacid

badacid White Belt

I am currently reading a book written by Kid Peligro (Jiu Jitsu techniques)
    just to look at different teaching points.

In the forward he states the question that all martial arts have been trying to answer is "How can someone smaller and weaker defeat a larger/stronger opponent?" And that BJJ has proven to be at least one answer this question.

Of course martial arts has a lot of questions it tries to answer (Multiple opponents, guns, knives, meteors etc) but he doesn't go into that. Just the smaller person consistantly prevailing against a stronger opponent question.

I am actually starting BJJ under Brian Johnson in Seattle next week. I have done other martial arts and what brought me to BJJ is a) The hope I get in better shape and b) the science of it.

I've heard it referred to as kinetic chess and that just resonates with me. I watch bjj matches and that's exactly what it is. You go in with a plan, but are thinking of moves 3-4 ahead or capitalizing on mistake made by your opponent.

12. Knuckles69

Knuckles69 Purple Belt

It was the Royce Gracie v. Remco Pardoel fight at UFC 2.

13. gocubs1815

gocubs1815 Black Belt

Mainly Royce Gracie and what I see in MMA.

Judo takedowns and clinchs don't end fights. But if the fight goes to the ground (which is typically does) who's got the advantage?

14. laohu69

laohu69 Blue Belt

I was pefectly happy with Judo & JJJ. But...., my nephew was getting out of the service & was going to live with me while he went to college. He insisted (he's a big UFC fan & knows nothing about MA) that he would only go to classes with me if they were BJJ since it was the "best" (until Machida won then he insited that "Machida" karate was best).
    I relented and signed up at a Relson Gracie school. Then 2 weeks before my Nephew got out he met a girl, got married & moved to Florida leaving me at my new school without him.
    Worked out good for me though. The technical knowledge I'm gaining at the new school is superior to what I had been learning at the other school. And my knowledge of throws / take downs from Judo gives me the upper hand over my comparable BJJ compatriots.

I guess then that I was more or less forced into taking BJJ.

I still miss the Judo though & would love to pursue it if I could find someone to play with (but I'm pretty much hooked on BJJ for the duration).

Oh yeah, I'm not too worried about my stand up since I have several years of boxing & kickboxing experience.

15. DeadAim713

DeadAim713 Blue Belt

Gettin armbarred and RNC'd by my friend (who is 5'1" 135lbs and I'm 6'6" 300lbs) all the time when we would wrestle. Looked up some shit online, fell in love, and 2 months later signed up at my local BJJ academy.

Also, I really train for fun. I love the art of BJJ and what it can do to protect a person, but I also love all the intricate moves/sweeps/passes/etc. that are preformed in a sport setting. BJJ just fascinates me. I've thought about competing, but I really just don't feel the need to, I love just training.

16. delt16

delt16 Blue Belt

Becaue people dont walk around in Gis and you rarely see Judo guys fighting in MMA.

17. virtuoso

virtuoso Blue Belt

But, if you think about it, a stand-up martial art is also only concentrating on one phase of the fight as well. I guess that's why I cross-train.

I train BJJ for both and I train stand-up as well. However, I love BJJ the most and it's what I like to do. Having BJJ for self defense is good (since some/most self defense fights get taken to the ground) and the sport aspect is awesome! It's physical chess that can rip your arm off, how cool is that!?

18. 3dsmax

3dsmax Orange Belt

because my friend said lets go try it

19. mikecello

mikecello ...in bed belt

I was training Judo for about a year but was frustrated by how little ground work my dojo would teach us. We would roll, I'd get my ass kicked, then we would go right back to learning throws.

In any case, I wanted to learn more grappling and that was the stuff I was really interested in so the transition kind of moved me into a BJJ gym and from there I never looked back.

20. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

I figured it was the best style to complement my wrestling, and more self-defense and fighting oriented than other grappling styles.