BJJers why did you choose BJJ?

I guess that's what I meant to say.

Sure it is. Not that I wish to engage in such a ridiculous exercise in futility, but if I had to pick one, it would have to one that includes stand up. In my totally subjective opinion. And I love teh BJJ and it's what I am currently training most. But really all grappling is good grappling, and everyone has a first love so we'll just leave it at that.

Yeah, but you could be training with Calibur.

His club does 50%/50% ration in his class and they call it BJJ.

I do 1 NOGI, 2 x MMA, 1 X stand up, 1 x open Mat and I call myself a BJJ purist!!!

I was a cubby fat kid, who use to do nothing athletic. I started to watch TUF 1 & 2, and thought that MMA was pretty cool. Then I saw UFC 60, and all the hype about BJJ before and after it. So a little bit after that event, I started training in BJJ, and haven't looked back since.
I think I made the right decision ;)

Yeah, but you could be training with Calibur.

His club does 50%/50% ration in his class and they call it BJJ.

I do 1 NOGI, 2 x MMA, 1 X stand up, 1 x open Mat and I call myself a BJJ purist!!!

Then I would be in HEAVEN! Seriously that sounds fresh.

But good thing I could also go to Cahill's in San Bruno and do 50/50 stand up and newaza (utilizing the guard) and they call it Judo!

Which I am going to have to do actually because, even though I'm really enjoying nogi at denny's, it's an awesome school, great instruction, I can't afford bjj prices any more :(

Liechien, we have had this discussion many times about cost, and as you can see it has finally hit home.

I am pretty bummed, since it's pretty close, but it's 125 for bjj vs 40 for judo. Not much of a choice really with times being as hard as they are right now, every nickel counts.

Mainly the early UFCs and watching Big Nog. I didn't see UFC 1 at the time, I just remembered Shamrock from his WWF days when he was billed as the world's most dangerous man and the first 'UFC Champion'. When I saw him going up against this scrawny dude wearing a robe I couldn't help but laugh as it appeared to be a ridiculous mismatch. Fast forward one minute and Shamrock is tapping for his life. I couldn't believe it.

Don't midget wrestle and pull guard.

I do actually pull guard 90% of the time, but when I occasionally do want to play top, I feel like I can't just stand up and do what what I would do normally. I'm going to start just standing up if I want to play top, and try to be mindful of the space. And if they want to try to take me down, then even better.

I'll be honest, I am what R. Lee Emery in "Full Metal Jacket" would call a "mega fatbody" and I saw a submission grappling tourney and saw how beat some of the guys were getting after just 3-5 minutes of rolling around and saw it as a great way to try and lose weight/get in shape.

I had tried 3 or 4 diets/workout/lifting plans and I always got bored/lost interest in them because they weren't fun. I went to one intro class for BJJ and fell in love. Now, I am part of my college's wrestling club (just joined this year after 3-4 months of BJJ), Judo club, and BJJ club because yes they all help me lose my excess weight but they are also fun as piss.

It was either judo or BJJ (or TKD blah) and BJJ was cheaper with better instruction. Honestly I wanted to go with boxing or MT at first but there's nowhere nearby for it, so I went BJJ and haven't looked back.

Where did this notion come from that BJJ doesn't have takedowns?

I've never trained BJJ, but I've done Judo for years and trad.JuJitsu. Rolled with many BJJers in my time too, Gi and no Gi.

So my question is why? BJJ whilst undoubtedly a fine groundfighting system it's really just that, ground fighting. So as a stand-up clinch then take down MA it's only really concentrating on one phase of the fight.

Did you read TS post?

I started out wanting to do MMA so I joined a gym. I bought a gi and figured I would alternate between BJJ and Muay Thai. As expected I sucked super bad at BJJ so I decided to just focus on that and not spread myself too thin. I fell in love with it and never actually attended a single MT class. I'd still like to train standup eventually but it's not really a priority right now. I'm actually more concerned with competing in BJJ comps and working on my pathetically inadequate nogi game.

cos i'm scared of heights

El oh el, good sir.

I just wanted to expand on my wrestling more. My takedowns were/are fine, but I just wanted to learn the 'complete' grappling game (top/bottom/clinch) properly.

One day my friend showed me some nogi stuff he had been learning. I was strong but I could not defeat him. I was intrigued so I wanted to learn more. I've always enjoyed fighting so I wanted to challenge myself and make myself tougher. lol Instead I find that bjj has humbled me and taught me discipline. I did some research and found a third degree bb who had an Alliance school in town. Been there since beginning of June this year and I am loving it!

I like how bjj challenges me to think. It has changed the way I view things in life and it is for the better. The gentleness aspect of this grappling system also appeals to me. If you know what you are doing then you are in control and can minimize the risk of injury. I no longer drink and I watch what I eat. I also learned to conserve energy and save it for bjj. I hate going out to clubs and parties now because it feels like a waste of energy especially since I have a wonderful girlfriend now. I like how bjj is something you can do for the rest of your life and not really just a phase you go through. I am really grateful to have the opportunity to learn this art.

Last edited:
I've never trained BJJ, but I've done Judo for years and trad.JuJitsu. Rolled with many BJJers in my time too, Gi and no Gi.

So my question is why? BJJ whilst undoubtedly a fine groundfighting system it's really just that, ground fighting. So as a stand-up clinch then take down MA it's only really concentrating on one phase of the fight.

Do you train BJJ for sport? or for self defence? I understand doing it for sport, many Judo players on train Judo for sport but I did it to complement my JuJitsu and never for a sport.

Just got lucky, one of my best friends at work was a GB BB and he got me to go train with him. He passed away earlier this year. RIP Pedro.

funny, although I was around to read the paper write about Royce and Ken, it was Frank Shamrock that made me study up on groundfighting, fell in love with leglocks, then learned about bjj and the guard.

Sadly, unless you live in Japan, most likely you will have to do "Judo" and BJJ on their own to actually learn true judo.

glad to hear this since i am starting judo this saturday, living in japan now and coming from a BJJ background

It does, but from experience it's mostly double or single leg. How many BJJ classes teach O Goshi, or Harai Goshi or even Taitoshi for instance?

You just need to watch Royce's (and other Gracies) total reliance on the double leg morote gari time after time to see that.

Back