BJJers why did you choose BJJ?

It does, but from experience it's mostly double or single leg. How many BJJ classes teach O Goshi, or Harai Goshi or even Taitoshi for instance?

You just need to watch Royce's (and other Gracies) total reliance on the double leg morote gari time after time to see that.

speaking of royce, his double leg was good enough to take down a Jr national judo champion of Holland.

How many bjj classes teach those throws? Mine for one.

It does, but from experience it's mostly double or single leg. How many BJJ classes teach O Goshi, or Harai Goshi or even Taitoshi for instance?

You just need to watch Royce's (and other Gracies) total reliance on the double leg morote gari time after time to see that.

Maybe because of its high ratio of sucess in the old days of VT and MMA?

Maybe because of its high ratio of sucess in the old days of VT and MMA?

Yeah but not now. I'm still amazed at the amount of MMA fighters who'll push a guy up to the cage then DROP to double leg, risking to a guillotine over and over again.

BJJ is quick to move things on and point out all the flaws of the 'old days', but it's reluctance to move on and try different take downs beside double leg or pulling guard is frankly ridiculous.

5 years ago i was 240, smoked a pack a day, drank heavily and nearly had a stroke @ age 30 due to stress .

now i'm 185, havent smoked since, still drink but just a lil and am in the best shape of my life

oh, and it keeps me sane

thats why.

But those are still takedowns. Is BJJ going to teach you to throw someone over your head into a pile of swords? No. But 95% of BJJ schools out there will equip their students with 4 or 5 good, battle tested takedowns to use in tournaments or self-defense situations.

I'm just saying this idea floating around that all BJJ is about is flopping on your butt is bogus.

speaking of royce, his double leg was good enough to take down a Jr national judo champion of Holland.

How many bjj classes teach those throws? Mine for one.

Mine too.

Yeah but not now. I'm still amazed at the amount of MMA fighters who'll push a guy up to the cage then DROP to double leg, risking to a guillotine over and over again.

BJJ is quick to move things on and point out all the flaws of the 'old days', but it's reluctance to move on and try different take downs beside double leg or pulling guard is frankly ridiculous.

wrestlers do that also.

I chose BJJ because of MMA.

There are many different martial arts represented in MMA.

The only martial art that you MUST study to be a successful mixed martial artist is BJJ. Even if all you do is learn basic submission defense, you MUST learn it else all the striking in the world won't save you from eventually getting tapped.

I don't think you can say that one martial art is "better" than another. That's like say the Mona Lisa is better than the David. I will say that BJJ's effectiveness in MMA shows that it's as practical as any martial art I've seen.

And I wanted to make people tap.

I'm guessing you've never actually trained MMA, specifically takedowns off of a wall/cage. Totally changes things up, and what you're describing is an effective way to get your opponent to the ground if done properly. Completely unrelated to styles discussions.

I love the atmosphere at a BJJ gym. It's not that I have a problem with all the bowing and Japanese terminology in Judo, but I love the culture at a BJJ gym where everything is just so chill. We still train hard and there's plenty of respect, but none of it is forced.

I also love how BJJ, compared to other styles, has a ridiculous amount of training resources. Online there's great blogs like BJJWEEKLY and AESOPIAN, on youtube there's channels like Trumpetdan, and new books are constantly coming out from the sports best competitors. Try as I might I can't find that same breadth of resources for judo or any other style.

Lastly, BJJ competition rules make sense and there are less of them. The competition rules of Judo seem to change every few years and it's usually in the direction of limiting techniques (leg grabs, for example). BJJ hasn't gone in that direction (so far anyways) and we also do no gi. There's greater opportunities to try new techniques and strategies under such a broad rule set for grappling.

Because of the success of BJJ guys in MMA.

I signed up at a Judo club that is run by a BJJ/Judo black belt. So I go to both. I dont like Judo rules, where you have no time to fight on the ground, and I dont like how we rarely do takedowns in BJJ. But to be honest there are only so many minutes to a class, and you'll never be as good on the ground if you spend half the class learning how to get there. So I have three days of Judo and three days of BJJ. I work takedowns in BJJ and work newaza in Judo. I like to be well rounded.

Because I got tired of huge judo guys throwing me on the floor. True story.

because i've never done anything with contact.....played basketball and was a goalie (hockey) in high school. huge mma fan and figured i'd start with bjj and once i felt comfortable train bjj and muay thai

Do not mix up BJJ and MMA together. because it is 2 different sports.

But my guess is to test your throwing skills in a BJJ competition and prove your point.

Now, to think of Judo throws in a cage, Karoi is a good example of what to do.

Any body else you could think of?

Do not mix up BJJ and MMA together. because it is 2 different sports.

But my guess is to test your throwing skills in a BJJ competition and prove your point.

Now, to think of Judo throws in a cage, Karoi is a good example of what to do.

Any body else you could think of?

akiyama, maia, nick/nate diaz, jon jones, etc.

I did see a sick fireman's (Kata Guruma) with air time and everything at the gracie open last week too. in nogi, too!

akiyama, maia, nick/nate diaz, jon jones, etc.

I did see a sick fireman's (Kata Guruma) with air time and everything at the gracie open last week too. in nogi, too!

That's my favorite takedown, gi and no gi. Loved it when I was wrestling, and it's one of the few wrestling takedowns that I like that translates well to gi.

Because its the best. BJJ doesnt focus on just stand up throws(Judo or JJJ). It focuses on everything, and especially the most important part: the ground.

Also, it enables a smaller person to defeat a larger person using technique and leverage over strength and speed.

It's just better than JuJitsu or Judo. Period.

That's my favorite takedown, gi and no gi. Loved it when I was wrestling, and it's one of the few wrestling takedowns that I like that translates well to gi.

absolutely, in the gi it becomes almost a foregone conclusion

Back