BJJ Red Belts?

Superbeast said:
I think regardless of your actual surname if you are going to learn the family art you take on the family name. Roger Gracie should really be Roger Gomes as Mo Gomes is his dad but since he's in the family business his pops gets no credit name-wise.

oh wow, didnt know that...sucks for mo gomes.

besides, i dont want Helio to die...we already lost Kimura. :(

That's very much like the Fairtex camp.... the dude on TUF, Ganyao, "Fairtex" is not his birth name as Fairtex is not a Thai name.

paulchu said:
That's very much like the Fairtex camp.... the dude on TUF, Ganyao, "Fairtex" is not his birth name as Fairtex is not a Thai name.

no offence, i dont think you can compare roger gracie to ganyao.

DMcKayBJJ said:
1) So is Roger "Gracie" blood related to the Gracies in any way?
2) Relson would appear to be next in line for a red from Helio. But what if the old man croaks? If Rorion owns the "Gracie Jiu Jitsu" name/trademark, I can't imagine he'd want to share grandmaster/red belt status with his brothers.
3) What about Carlos Gracie, Sr.'s sons (e.g. Carlson, Carlinhos, etc.)? Carlinhos is the head of the CBJJ...will they ever get the red belt?

Me thinks that Rorion will keep the red belt all to himself...which is fine. It just means that the rest of the BJJ community will continue to do their thing while Rorion does his, just like now.

Roger's mother is a Gracie. Reila I believe her name is.

Rorion is only responsible for promotions by IGJJF, not the CBJJ, IBJJF or other organisations. I assume red belt promotions can be given by the other organisations.

Carlinhos will surely get his red belt in good time. He's the head of Gracie Barra so when Helio dies he is going to have to be the head of their clubs.

SuperSuperRambo said:
technically that title would not beling to him

That depends on which side of the Gracie family you ask.

MY instructor is a Red Belt.
Mansorred.jpg

You lucky bastard.

who is that ^^^

also. does anyone know anything about Rocian Sr. Gracie

Bob_Shamrock said:
no offence, i dont think you can compare roger gracie to ganyao.
um. i was referring to the honorary name of their respective camps.... but ok!

yeah, who is that dude with the red belt?

yeah paulchu....i understand what you're saying...i get really emotional when i think of Helio, the Gracies and Kimura.

I think I'll cry if Helio dies.

2om30 said:
no he got his red already...

i did not know this... interesting

good he deserves it more then anybody for what he has done for bjj and mma...

strongmanfan said:
I think thats Francisco Mansur.

in confused..i thought helio was the only person with the red belt in BJJ...

how come francisco has it?

I trained under a RED belt for one seminar, his name was Carlson Gracie Sr.

Cardio said:
I trained under a RED belt for one seminar, his name was Carlson Gracie Sr.

no way dude.

when was this and how old are you?

thanks for clearing that up superbeast.

Bob_Shamrock said:
in confused..i thought helio was the only person with the red belt in BJJ...

how come francisco has it?

There can be only one 10th Degree red Belt that is alive at a time. After Helio Dies it will probably be Rorion. But the second highest tank is 9th Degree Red Belt which anyone can achieve that put in enough time and does enough for the sport.

I know that before Master Mansur had the red belt his belt was black and red striped.

I'm not sure when it changes from black to back and red.

Back