BJJ Red Belts?

I'm kind of suprised it took this long to come up, but I would assume Rickson also has his "red" belt. I would also assume he is a 10th degree BB. Is this correct?

cottonzway said:
I'm kind of suprised it took this long to come up, but I would assume Rickson also has his "red" belt. I would also assume he is a 10th degree BB. Is this correct?

i doubt it....if that were the case, royce would have one too!

Bob_Shamrock said:
i doubt it....if that were the case, royce would have one too!

Well considering Helio considers Rickson to be the best in the family I would assume the best would be at the same or above a level. Royce himself says he isn't close to Rickson.

BrzMMA said:
Helio Gracie is the only man alive who can use the Red Belt. Only him and his brothers, passed away, can use the Red Belt.
Osvlado Alves is also a red...

cottonzway said:
Yes relson is a red/black next in line for red.

"Yo man, my belt is red cuz of all my victim's blood!"

Helio (the only surviving brother of the original Gracie brothers that learned JJ from Maeda) has a red, and gave a red to his oldest son Rorion a couple of years ago. Symbolically, I think this means that he is giving Rorion the responsibility of continuing Gracie Jiu Jitsu into the future. None of Rorion's brothers (i.e. Helio's other sons) have the red.
Helio will eventually die. He's like 93 or something. Will he give his other sons red belts before he dies (Relson, Rickson, etc.)? If not, will Rorion give them red belts? CAN he give them red belts? According to CBJJ website, Helio is the only living person allowed to wear the red. But, since he's top dog, you figure if he gave a red to Rorion, it's legit. BUT, does CBJJ think it's legit (we all know that Rorion doesn't particularly get along with a lot of the rest of the BJJ world)?

Red belt = I may be old and little, but I'll still whip your ass.

Red Belt is grandmaster status. I believe everything above 8th degree black belt is grandmaster.

cottonzway said:

No. You'd have to check with a guy that trains with him but I believe Rickson is a 7th degree BB so would have a red and black belt.

From BJJ.org
Red Belt, 10th degree

Gracie Jr., Gast

Rickson has been a 7th level black belt for very long. I don

Well, Rorion DOES own the trademark of Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

I can see the ranking, but I don't understand the logic. If Helio (a 10th degree BB) says that Rickson (a 7th degree BB) is the best in the family (that would include ALL Gracies including Helio and everyone else listed) how can he NOT be a 10th degree red belt in BJJ?
I understand that is kind of an impossible question to answer but the "math" of it doesn't make any sense to me. I guess it's politics, but Rickson is an 11th dergee super platnium belt then. :D

cottonzway said:
I can see the ranking, but I don't understand the logic. If Helio (a 10th degree BB) says that Rickson (a 7th degree BB) is the best in the family (that would include ALL Gracies including Helio and everyone else listed) how can he NOT be a 10th degree red belt in BJJ?
I understand that is kind of an impossible question to answer but the "math" of it doesn't make any sense to me. I guess it's politics, but Rickson is an 11th dergee super platnium belt then. :D
I am a student at the Torrance Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy. I have spoken to Rorion about this issue. Rorion told me that the black and red belt represented two things, knowledge and 50 years of Jiu-Jitsu. Rickson is not 50 years old yet. He was a seventh degree black when he was quite young. But do to the training time Rickson can't be ranked higher than Relson or Rorion due to age. It has nothing to do with ability. That's why Royce is a fifth and Royler is a sixth degree. Royce is better than Royler so Royler said at one of Royces seminars.

ground force said:
I am a student at the Torrance Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy. I have spoken to Rorion about this issue. Rorion told me that the black and red belt represented two things, knowledge and 50 years of Jiu-Jitsu. Rickson is not 50 years old yet. He was a seventh degree black when he was quite young. But do to the training time Rickson can't be ranked higher than Relson or Rorion due to age. It has nothing to do with ability. That's why Royce is a fifth and Royler is a sixth degree. Royce is better than Royler so Royler said at one of Royces seminars.

Comparing Royler's competition record to Royce's... I think Royler was just being modest and selling his brother's seminar to those in attendance.

I just counted on bjj.org about 45 Gracies that are purple and above. I didn't count the Gracie black belts, but there appears to be 30+ of them. Wow, they have or have had a lot of relatives doing BJJ!

I think regardless of your actual surname if you are going to learn the family art you take on the family name. Roger Gracie should really be Roger Gomes as Mo Gomes is his dad but since he's in the family business his pops gets no credit name-wise.

1) So is Roger "Gracie" blood related to the Gracies in any way?
2) Relson would appear to be next in line for a red from Helio. But what if the old man croaks? If Rorion owns the "Gracie Jiu Jitsu" name/trademark, I can't imagine he'd want to share grandmaster/red belt status with his brothers.
3) What about Carlos Gracie, Sr.'s sons (e.g. Carlson, Carlinhos, etc.)? Carlinhos is the head of the CBJJ...will they ever get the red belt?

Me thinks that Rorion will keep the red belt all to himself...which is fine. It just means that the rest of the BJJ community will continue to do their thing while Rorion does his, just like now.

Back