BJJ Red Belts?

I am actually surprised that Helio does not wear a red and white stripped belt, which is traditional for the soke (founder or leader) of a system. I guess the Brazilians just like red more.

u2october4 said:
i think red belt signifies the "grand master of BJJ", hence only helio gracie has the honor wearing the red blety (being the only living grand master of BJJ,)

Carlos sr also wore the red belt, as did Jorge Gracie, Gastao Gracie Jr., and Oswaldo Gracie.

MenTaLPiRacY said:
OMG! what if he was wearing rainbow with lil butterfly stickers on them!!!
then its time to but him in a home

scorcho said:
I am actually surprised that Helio does not wear a red and white stripped belt, which is traditional for the soke (founder or leader) of a system. I guess the Brazilians just like red more.

technically that title would not beling to him

NCMMAfan said:
The way I understood it, the red belt is basically given to people who have been black belts for a long time. The only two I can think of that have a red belt are Helio and Rorion.
no, there is quite a few. the only 10th dan are gracies, and Helio is the only surviving one. There are quite a few 8th and 9th though.

NCMMAfan said:
The way I understood it, the red belt is basically given to people who have been black belts for a long time. The only two I can think of that have a red belt are Helio and Rorion.

i've never seen rorion wearing the red before, but maybe i'm just not remembering correctly.

Red signifies "grandmaster" or lifetime achievement in the sport of BJJ. When saying Black Belt just doesn't say it. Helio obviously is at the top of the food chain, so he wears one. I'm positive that no one will EVER wear red in their belt without Helio himself saying so.

Big_One said:
As I understand it 8th & 9th dan in BJJ have a belt that is red & black; the purely red belt is for 10th dan and you have to be a Gracie to reach such a level.

Also in some karate styles red belt is higher than black belt, 5th dan & above, I think.

Grand Master -- Red Belt -- 9th & 10th degree
Master -- Red and Black Belt -- 7th & 8th degree
Professor -- Black Belt -- 2nd through 6th degree
Instructor -- Black Belt (without degrees)
Assistant Instructor -- Black Belt (with plain red band)
Fighter -- Black Belt (with white band)

actually, the BJJ rank system is a bit more complicated and less "title-oriented" than has been posted so far. according to the CBJJ, when you attain the black belt you can basically opt between being a fighter or a instructor BB (a fighter attains up to 3rd degree BB, while instructor up to 6th degree), which leads to those who are instructors moving on the ranking system based on their teaching experience and not on their knowledge of BJJ solely. thus, a black and red belt is someone who has attained superior knowledge on BJJ and has been instructing others for 31 years; the 8th degree black and red belt is attained after 38 years of instructing; the red belt, after 48 years of instructing; the 10th degree red belt are given only to the "creators" or "pioneers" Carlos, Oswaldo, George, Gast

Bill Cosby said:
then its time to but him in a home

dude, Helio is still the man now!

imagine what he'd do to everyone in the old folks home!

Helio by flying armbar!

so how many years do someone need to adquire the bjj red belt?

u2october4 said:
i think red belt signifies the "grand master of BJJ", hence only helio gracie has the honor wearing the red blety (being the only living grand master of BJJ,)

That's also what I'd thought. Pretty sure only Helio wears that belt becuase he is the grandmaster of BJJ.

The red belt is the ultimate belt. So who has the authority to give someone the red belt? Saku?

as long as it has to, BJ got it in 4

Helio Gracie is the only man alive who can use the Red Belt. Only him and his brothers, passed away, can use the Red Belt.

paulchu said:
Helio, Rorion, and Carlson (the one who taught Helio) all have red belts as far as I know. No one earns a red belt as you would earn any other belt. They are only given to certain members for merit. I wouldn't be surprised if Rorion and maybe just one more brother got the red belt.

from wikipedia

It was Carlos snr who taught Helio initially, not Carlson

NCMMAfan said:

bjj.org only lists rorion as a 9th degree black belt not 10th degree

The Red belt is a symbole given to the people which have done a great deal for the sport!!!

They are not many of that kind, but Helio sure is one of them!

Even Sherdog offers red belts

Back