BJJ prices becoming inflated?

we were fine until he started in with "I know you wont sleep at night until I answer your question" and "now you're using your head". I found it to be condescending and said so. maybe you should just learn to mind your own business.

funny, i thought you were coming off as the rude one, but I wasn't going to throw a fit about it, instead I just tried to explain why BJJ is priced high at the moment.

Outside of LA/New York/seriously wealthy people, are there actually any college/ High School students who can afford dropping $200 on BJJ a month?

I work and go to school and if I could only train somewhere that charged $200 a month, I'd simply have to stop training, it's not a matter of not wanting to spend that much money, it's a matter of simply not being able to afford it. I literally don't have enough money for that after car payments/rent/food.

How much is Denny charging?

125 a mo, ZERO sign up fee (never did like that shit), no mandatory, and contract first class is always free just so you can check it out and make sure you like it.

ralph's was over 150 with a 110 sign up and a contract, IIRC. fairtex was 200 a month with no contract. less with.

No.

I wanted to start training about 4 years ago, but being a student I could not afford to. Xtreme Couture Toronto was not open and most gyms were over $100/month. Also, there is lots of options, but either are far away or the lower end gyms that are close by.

So I waited abit, Xtreme Couture opened... at it was expensive. $150/month some people told me (even more expensive than toronto bjj).. I could not afford that. They then dropped their rates to $75/month with an option to pay up front and pay $55/month. So I ran in on that one, because it became affordable.

I had my heart set on Toronto BJJ, nice facility, great classes and training partners. But it is way more expensive than Couture, and much farther away.. and a few people came over from Toronto BJJ and told me they would not go back for the $.

fucking awesome.....

That is a sad response. You should at least understand that people that live in major cities have a higher cost of living. Unfortunately as much as we love BJJ, it's just too expensive in those areas which makes it almost an elite sport.

I like your post and I am someone who loves BJJ and wants to continue training but I can no longer afford it. I hear people say you can find a way, hey, once they lower rents in NYC (which they wont) then I'll be able to afford it again. There are alot of guys like myself who have to stop due to financial reasons/or lack there of.

bjj has always cost too much.

just my humble opinion.

What do you think is a reasonable price for unlimited in new york city, with all blackbelt instruction. If they have at gi a couple times a day. They also have nogi and mma twice a week.

The going rate for that is > 150 I think.

its a crock of shit that some people think you should get top of line instruction for free... a legit instructor should have 15+ years in the sport plus dedicated himself full time to teaching. think about how much you pay top of the line doctors or lawyers i don't see why BJJ should be any different.

the flip side is learning the sport from somone who only teaches / trains part time. i would rather learn from someone who puts bjj first and a side job or two second vs someone who puts their career first and teaches as a hobby...

if your having trouble finding the means to pay the 100-200 membership fees i would suggest replacing gym time with school time to set yourself up better financially.. spending 200 a month on yourself so you do something you love really isnt THAT much money...

Last edited:
you want to pay bjj coaches what you pay doctors and lawyers?

okay. go crazy.

bjj has always cost too much.

just my humble opinion.

Even in Brasil, BJJ is expensive.

some clubs are just for rich kids which are "called" playboys!

my teamate grew on the rich neighboorhood i.e the house by the beach but did not go train with the playboys club.

So he train in a project club which only charge 40 Reias and even at that price only half of the guys could afford to pay.

the other half came from the flavellas and could not afford the fees and the Gi as well.

It became the norm to donate your old gi to your less fortunate team mates.

In return, the poor kids were the best competitors.

There is a little more to running a school then showing up for class like the students do. The instructor has to be the first there, last to leave. They have to be there for every class, everyday. They have to do all the paperwork, all the marketing, handle all the new enrollments. They have to maintain the gym if they aren't big enough to have employees.

Running a school is a full time job, often of the more then 40 hours a week type. So yes, I don't think its fair to expect someone to go to their dayjob at 7am, then teach classes till 9:00 or 10:00, and not get home till 11:00 every single weekday, then spend the weekends catching up on all the paperwork that comes with running a business.

At our gym the teacher is there around 6am and doesn't usually leave Monday-Friday until 11pm, if we're not working late on some other stuff or just talking about combat sports in general. We can come to the gym any time it's open for any class, which includes Kenpo, BJJ, Muay Thai, etc... cost is about 90 per month USD, for all classes but you need to pay for a Gi, belts, etc... still way more than fair. Class sizes are extremely small.

my teamate grew on the rich neighboorhood i.e the house by the beach but did not go train with the playboys club.

So he train in a project club which only charge 40 Reias and even at that price only half of the guys could afford to pay.

the other half came from the flavellas and could not afford the fees and the Gi as well.

wow.... that's awesome. I would love to hear more about some kid from the favellas going out and kicking ass in bjj. so what does 40 reias convert to in us currency about?

Thats cool to hear... thanks for sharing.

wow.... that's awesome. I would love to hear more about some kid from the favellas going out and kicking ass in bjj. so what does 40 reias convert to in us currency about?

40.00 BRL = 23.2423 USD

average income for car mechanics: 756 Reais per month.

average price for entry level GI: 120 Reais.

Koral and Atama: 200-300 Reais.

If the IBJJF competition entries fees were more "affordable", a lot of poor kids will be competing.

project clubs can offer free training and used gis but they do not have the money to pay for expensive competition fess as well.

Everyone knows that expansive fees are keeping some top notch competitors from the flavellas.

that's a damn shame!

those guys pretty much just train and rest in between training.

They are likely to be unenployed.

no money for party and other distractions.

they just live to train BJJ.

they hope to become famous via competition and then go overseas to open an academy.

you want to pay bjj coaches what you pay doctors and lawyers?

okay. go crazy.

im not saying they should earn as much although i do admit rereading my post that's what i said. the point i was trying to make is top notch lawyers and top notch doctors make a ton of money.... too much in my opinion. the reason some people justify paying an arm and a leg for their services is they spent upwards of 8 years in school and the field is very competitive...

well i would say not as competitive as the BJJ world. think of how many people wash out in the first three months of training let alone make it 15+ years in the sport.. on top of that be successful and justify themselves and their training by staying healthy and technically proficient the whole time to place well in top tier competitions.

so yeah i don't think a bjj instructor / coach should make 150,00+ a year but i also don't think its a bad thing if they ask 100-200 bucks per student per month.. if your school has 70 students signed at in a given month who each pay 150 thats 10,500 per month... how much of that actually gets into your instructors pockets after the owner gets a cut, the front desk guy is paid, light bill / cleaning supplies / water is paid for and so on and so on...

Back