BJJ prices becoming inflated?

woah....

I train at Xtreme Couture Toronto - I paid up front, 1 year and 3 month commitment and it works (total divided by the months) out to about $55 per month CDN and my buddy paid monthly on a year commitment and pays $75 a month . We have a full size work out area, caveman area, Sauna, large mat area, octagon and ring.

It is unlimited training in both Fitness (spinning, kettle boxing, yoga, etc) and MMA. There is all the general arts for MMA (kickboxing, muay thai, boxing, wrestling, bjj (gi and no gi)) All the instructors are reputable.. check out the website and the instructors...

That being said, my buddy trains under a Brown Belt and pays around $100 a month on a year commitment and can only train 2 or 3 times a week (can not remember). And they have no fitness area.

Sounds reasonable. I'm curious, would you be willing to pay $200 a month for the same thing?

lol for those who are complaining about tuition, you have no idea how its like to own a small business and try to make a real living off of it.

Shouldn't your martial arts instructor be allowed to make a decent living? I mean shit you guys want everything for free.

At my former wrestling club it was €12 / month for 2 classes per week + tournament training.
At my former judo club it was €25 / month for 2 classes + competition training
At my new judo club it is ............. €6 / month for 2-3 classes of judo + 2 classes of muy thai + weight training, on brand new tatamis.

You gotta love sponsored clubs in Germany !!!!

You do not, however, have to love German income taxes!

(I remind myself of that whenever I get jealous of you Euros for having all these great benefits that we Americans don't!)

There is a school in my area with a very reputable teaching staff for BJJ, Muay Thai and Capoeira. For BJJ alone, it's $225 a month. Many students want BJJ and Muay Thai because they "want to fight in the UFC". The average student there pays over $400/month to train. Bullshit IMO.

There is a school in my area with a very reputable teaching staff for BJJ, Muay Thai and Capoeira. For BJJ alone, it's $225 a month. Many students want BJJ and Muay Thai because they "want to fight in the UFC". The average student there pays over $400/month to train. Bullshit IMO.

What city?

yea BJJ and its practicioners are exploiting the fame of the sport of MMA at the moment. its kinda funny since its all about honor and respect, yet they might as well kick their students in the balls at the beginning of class since theyre just robbing them. i used to train, and i paid 100$ a month for BJJ, MT, weight training, and since id show up on odd hours id always be the only one there so id get personal training, usually for at least almost an hour a day that i went. that to me was reasonable. paying 100+ for strictly BJJ is a ripoff if you ask me.

yea BJJ and its practicioners are exploiting the fame of the sport of MMA at the moment. its kinda funny since its all about honor and respect, yet they might as well kick their students in the balls at the beginning of class since theyre just robbing them. i used to train, and i paid 100$ a month for BJJ, MT, weight training, and since id show up on odd hours id always be the only one there so id get personal training, usually for at least almost an hour a day that i went. that to me was reasonable. paying 100+ for strictly BJJ is a ripoff if you ask me.
it's not a ripoff

wouldn't free be much better?

I wish some of these complainers had a background in economics or at least a basic understanding of economics.

I can actually speak directly to this, as my day job is as a commercial insurance underwriter (the guy who decides how the policy will be set up, what coverages will be offered, and what the rates will be). In our eyes, there is often little difference between a BJJ gym and a Yoga gym in our thought process. In fact, since the qualifications for fitness instructors are far shakier I would feel more reassured offering coverage to a BJJ black belt in many cases. You also don't have quite the worry about an overweight 50-something who's been inactive for most of their lives popping something out of place. Waivers are also typically more stringently required in martial arts environments, and although they are almost completely useless in actual court, most people don't know that and wouldn't sue because they think the waiver leaves them without that option.

Do the Jiu-Jistu governing organizations offer limited medical coverage while at a sanctioned event or training session? I know that the US Judo Assoc. does

That's interesting. I used to work at a rock climbing gym and they used to bitch about how ridiculous the insurance was. I figured rates were largely dependent on the type of activity at the gym.

woah....

I train at Xtreme Couture Toronto - I paid up front, 1 year and 3 month commitment and it works (total divided by the months) out to about $55 per month CDN and my buddy paid monthly on a year commitment and pays $75 a month . We have a full size work out area, caveman area, Sauna, large mat area, octagon and ring.

It is unlimited training in both Fitness (spinning, kettle boxing, yoga, etc) and MMA. There is all the general arts for MMA (kickboxing, muay thai, boxing, wrestling, bjj (gi and no gi)) All the instructors are reputable.. check out the website and the instructors...
Ive been trying to figure out where to train when I move out there for school and that sealed it, thanks! cya in january!

When I signed up my buddy wad paying 85 I was told I'd pay 95. He had started about 3 4 mths before me. So yeah I was kinda pissed. Fast foward half a year and my buddy signed up paying 115 a mth. I don't t complain. Although its pretty steep and he's not an affiliate eventhough he's a gb blackbelt I see why he's raised his rates. He's full time and gotta live somehow.not only that he opened up a new gym.

we've had this discussion before. I agree the prices are a little high, and more could be done to utilize hs/college mat rooms already in existence to bring down the cost like freestyle and greco (offseason) wrestling, or maybe just bring the prices down a tad to judo levels. and what the hell does having a degree in economics have to do with it? get over yourself.

more like supply and demand

Price elasticity is relevant too, it's basically the measure of whether customers are able to forgoe a product when the price goes up, or whether they are willing to pay the increase.

If your BJJ instructor increased his prices by $10/month, would you still train there? How about $25? How about $50? $100? At what point would you say "screw this, it's getting too expensive" and go find somewhere else to train?

That's price elasticity.

we've had this discussion before. I agree the prices are a little high, and more could be done to utilize hs/college mat rooms already in existence to bring down the cost like freestyle and greco (offseason) wrestling, or maybe just bring the prices down a tad to judo levels. and what the hell does having a degree in economics have to do with it? get over yourself.

i dont know, he seems to make a good point. its easy to complain about prices, but thats because your on the other side of the equation. I personally would not want to run a club out of a HS or College, id just rather have my own place, my name, my logo, my rules. If I want to stay longer then im free to do so without getting into some trouble with the school board. bring the prices down to Judo levels? hell, id like to train for free, but its not gonna happen and im not one to tell somebody how to run their biz and how much they SHOULD price their monthly fees at. Your looking at it too one sided here.

I personally would not want to run a club out of a HS or College, id just rather have my own place, my name, my logo, my rules.

hmm... okay I suppose. Until people realize what's happening and level of price elasticity diminishes because more quality grapplers are finding alternatives to lower the cost/price of training. most people don't give a shit about your name, logo or rules as long as you are legit. they just want to grapple and not pay out of the ass to do so.

bring the prices down to Judo levels? hell, id like to train for free.

straw man argument = fail

Back