BJJ lifestyle = watered down of BJJ?

If you're going to quote me, at least take the time to read the quote in the message I am replying to. Sure he didn't say best, he said toughest. But doesn't diminish the point I made.

Take a breath, dude. Try to understand the difference between "is" and "was." I don't think anyone would argue 70 year old Relson "is" the toughest of them all. But it is certainly not ridiculous to assert that at one time he "was" the toughest of them all. That certainly seems to be the case before Rickson came into his prime.

It seems to me like you are nit picking to justify your douchebaggery.

Take a breath, dude. Try to understand the difference between "is" and "was." I don't think anyone would argue 70 year old Relson "is" the toughest of them all. But it is certainly not ridiculous to assert that at one time he "was" the toughest of them all. That certainly seems to be the case before Rickson came into his prime.

It seems to me like you are nit picking to justify your douchebaggery.

I meant to say was, which is your nit picking. I've never seen anyone outside Relson affiliates claim Relson was a badass. Plain and simple. If being a douche bag is qualified by not believing stories someone and their followers tell without any proof, then yeah I am a major douche bag.

EDIT: And for the record, after I made my statement about only Relson and his affiliates saying he was the toughest and meanest, you came on and said he told you stories that corroborated and then his affiliates came on and did the same. lol

I meant to say was, which is your nit picking. I've never seen anyone outside Relson affiliates claim Relson was a badass. Plain and simple. If being a douche bag is qualified by not believing stories someone and their followers tell without any proof, then yeah I am a major douche bag.

EDIT: And for the record, after I made my statement about only Relson and his affiliates saying he was the toughest and meanest, you came on and said he told you stories that corroborated and then his affiliates came on and did the same. lol

Willful ignorance is sad. Don't bother trying to corroborate it independently, just assume everyone knows less than you. Good job.

yeah I am a major douche bag.

Recognizing and admitting the problem is the first step to recovery.

It's funny how the ones who claim others are angry or upset also tend to be the same people that have to resort to ad hominem insults. It's cool though man, I know how hard it is to respond to detractors of people you idolize.

I agree with the OP.

It is true that modern MMA has evolved beyond pure BJJ but there seems to be a marked difference between how BJJ is being trained today and how it was in its earlier days in Brazil. Firstly Brazilian Vale Tudo fighters were not as illiterate in grappling as Americans were in early UFC days when Royce was choking everyone out. Some of the Vale Tudo guys that Rickson fought were wrestlers while others were nasty brawlers and dirty fighters so this theory that BJJ worked in the beginning because no one knew grappling does not apply to Brazilan Vale Tudo where fighters did know grappling. It applies to UFC here in USA but not there.

To me, one of the major difference between watered down BJJ of today and the old school seems to be closing the gap and taking down a striking opponent. Old school BJJ guys were masters in takedowns and they specialized in no-nonsense high probability take downs. In modern competition oriented BJJ everyone wants to pull guard and start from a position which would be disadvantageous in MMA as well as a street fight. This has changed the dynamics of what we call BJJ and has created a cult following of fighters who are totally divorced from the reality (and brutality) of the fight.

It's funny how the ones who claim others are angry or upset also tend to be the same people that have to resort to ad hominem insults. It's cool though man, I know how hard it is to respond to detractors of people you idolize.

I'm making a very logical claim. You don't have the knowledge that those who've spent more time around the gracies do, but you dismiss them. This arrogance is douchey, therefore you are a douchebag. It isn't ad hominum. Ad hominum is when I make a personal attack to dismiss your argument, as if your character or lack thereof affects the truth value of what you are saying. I've already dismissed your argument long ago, now I'm analyzing why you are making it. I conclude that you are a douchebag.

I also never claimed you are angry, I implied you are willfully ignorant, and proudly so, and that seems to be true. I still see no counter evidence. Your logical sloppiness indicates laziness as well. If you do actually train I assume your jitz is as lackidaisical and impotent as your attempts to degrade the accomplishments as others. I would also hazard a guess, based on douchebaggery displayed here, that when you are losing you probably go for the oil check and the eye gouge, because the other guy doesn't deserve to win.

amiright?

I train at Relson Gracie Ohio and our fundamental classes are self defense based and sometimes sporty stuff. There is a big emphasis on being street ready. But we do just fine in competition and mma.

Back