BJJ in a post Covid-19 world

Thankfully I had a full home gym with a power rack and platform set up and multiple barbells I keep pre-loaded to save time. Makes for good family time too - wife and kids come down to lift with me

I hate you so much right now!:mad:;)

i just had an ultrasound that confirmed i gave myself a hernia while working out at home during the lockdown.

the god damn wheel of pain can fuck right off, as far as i'm concerned.

my gym's opened up and i'm back in training, but will probably have to get a second hernia surgery... all because i was a dumbass while bored. stay young, kids. growing old fucking sucks.

i just had an ultrasound that confirmed i gave myself a hernia while working out at home during the lockdown.

my gym's opened up and i'm back in training, but will probably have to get a second hernia surgery... all because i was a dumbass while bored. stay young, kids. growing old fucking sucks.

how did you give yourself a hernia?

how did you give yourself a hernia?

with this fucker

cc7e0164-21b7-4333-a806-7a7125ae6993.__CR0,0,300,400_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

i've been doing this for ages now, but only once a week. i do it standing (not from the knees), and extend as far as i can. i've gotten pretty good at it, and it's still the single most brutal exercise i've ever done. it's pure suffering, all the time. it fucking sucks... but you get the kind of abs that make pablo popovitch envious.

so fast forward to the covid-19 lockdown, got fuckall to do other than workout at home, and i start doing this like 5 times a week. my abs get brutal! but then one day i get this weird pain on the side of my groin. woops, went ahead and tore something, didn't i?

tl/dr: i'm an idiot.

with this fucker

cc7e0164-21b7-4333-a806-7a7125ae6993.__CR0,0,300,400_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

i've been doing this for ages now, but only once a week. i do it standing (not from the knees), and extend as far as i can. i've gotten pretty good at it, and it's still the single most brutal exercise i've ever done. it's pure suffering, all the time. it fucking sucks... but you get the kind of abs that make pablo popovitch envious.

so fast forward to the covid-19 lockdown, got fuckall to do other than workout at home, and i start doing this like 5 times a week. my abs get brutal! but then one day i get this weird pain on the side of my groin. woops, went ahead and tore something, didn't i?

tl/dr: i'm an idiot.

I don't know what age you are but, I still think that physically I'm in my 20's even if I'm 37. Because of Covid and my BJJ gym closure I opted to get back at running and I tried to get better with intervals.

I tore up something in my calf and I have a knee who's acting out.

People are dumb, and I'm one of them

I don't know what age you are but, I still think that physically I'm in my 20's even if I'm 37. Because of Covid and my BJJ gym closure I opted to get back at running and I tried to get better with intervals.

Seems like the main difference at this age is that things tear more easily. Otherwise no loss in strength, maybe some stamina.

As you get older in combat sports, you basically have to lower your competitive drive. Not just with other people, but with yourself.

i'm 33.

i'm just gonna start roiding like a maniac, there's bound to be some shit you can take that helps with injuries.

Talk to me when you've had 3 hernia surgeries bro.

I had a double sports hernia that I walked around with for over a year that put me out of training as a blue belt, because it was repeatedly misdiagnosed. Ballooned up to 300 lbs during that time. Had it fixed without mesh, lost the weight then got an inguinal hernia on the right side the day after I got my purple belt. Had that repaired with mesh. A year later, inguinal hernia on the left side that got repaired with mesh as well. Fun times.

Talk to me when you've had 3 hernia surgeries bro.

I had a double sports hernia that I walked around with for over a year that put me out of training as a blue belt, because it was repeatedly misdiagnosed. Ballooned up to 300 lbs during that time. Had it fixed without mesh, lost the weight then got an inguinal hernia on the right side the day after I got my purple belt. Had that repaired with mesh. A year later, inguinal hernia on the left side that got repaired with mesh as well. Fun times.
that sounds fucked up, hope things hold up for you now.

i got mine repaired with mesh, and it seems i fucked something up on that same side. not happy about it.

I tried Jiu-Jitsu once, then had to take two weeks off for my wisdom teeth, then got to train for a month before COVID-19 struck in March. My gym reopened in May, and I was able to train a couple times, but then I got bronchitis and found out I might have asthma or have certain allergies, so I’ve been sitting out until after I see my pulmonologist or allergist.

Yeah, I’ve been getting derailed a lot. I’ve really liked it though ever since I’ve started training and I want to make it a part of my life and maybe even compete one day, but unfortunately, I haven’t been able to train for even a few months without interruptions so far.

Trained this week for the first time since March. It was isolated drilling only, and I had to stay in a little square. No mask, but had to used hand sanitizer and have temperature taken.

i think a lot of other sports will be practiced before bjj, unfortunately.

it's the ultimate mix for mess:
  • really close contact, we're literally breathing into eachother's faces, so the chance of transmission must be pretty high, even when compared to other sports
  • gyms are often crowded, but rarely disinfected
  • pretty big turn of people for most gyms, new guys show up all the time and disappear after a few sessions
  • chance of injury isn't insignificant, and this is important in a potentially strained healthcare system
i could see this shutting down a lot of professional gyms. in my case, everyone involved with the gym also works a day job. all the coaches, the people who run it, no one is depending on the income from the gym. if the lockdown was lifted today, we could probably pick up exactly where we left off... but i doubt it will be lifted any time soon.

It seems a sure-fire way to contract corona if somebody in there has it. It would be a mystery if it didn't

It seems a sure-fire way to contract corona if somebody in there has it. It would be a mystery if it didn't

That is the scary thing. One positive case and it's a super spreader event. There is no truly safe way to train in this pandemic. It is high risk, and people who think otherwise are just fooling themselves.

People are contracting COVID-19 en masse at choir practice and dance clubs. What do you think happens when people are all over each other on the floor breathing in each other's faces?

I don't mean to be a gloom and doom person. Just considering the reality of the situation.

Gyms are still closed in my area. I haven't decided if I'd train even if they were open.

It's a strange time. Many questions. Few answers.

This is seriously the longest I've gone without training in a decade.

I wish I could say it has been enlightening - but it has just been really frustrating.

I wouldn't train this year but if you guys want roll the dice just to be able to do Jiujitsu...

Do strength training instead.

I can't imagine many BJJ schools making it. Most people live paycheck to paycheck and most small businesses, such as gyms and restaurants are the same. I can't imagine there are many BJJ owners who have enough cash to pay commercial rent for months on end. Combine that with loss of revenue from memberships. Not a scenario most can withstand for very long.

Back