BJJ in a post Covid-19 world

U poor Canadians have to take it?

Like free world class healthcare?...

Like free higher education?...

Canada is freaking great, but:

Not sure where you heard we have free higher education? The most we get is (sometimes) free upgrading of High School courses if you're an adult.

And as for HealthCare: hell yeah, it IS awesome being able to get basic healthcare for free.
However, the other side is that waiting times for ERs, or even critical surgeries/procedures are insanely long; people are on waiting lists for Quality of Life Surgeries for YEARS at a time.

Also, it's next to impossible to get a Family Doctor/General Practitioner in any community besides the big cities, so, even BASIC things like getting a prescription for an Asthma Inhaler for my girlfriend means GOING TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM AND WAITING 6 HOURS TO SEE A DOCTOR (and sitting next to people who literally need stitches and are bleeding)...and then doing it again when her prescription runs out.

It IS much better in big cities with more Walk-In Clinics and private practices, but you gotta understand: Canada is so fuckin' huge geographically that you can live 8 hours away from the nearest city...most of us are in small communities out in the middle of nowhere, and ain't nobody setting up walk in clinics out here.

Getting Bloodwork, even for Senior citizens means lining up in the Hospital and hoping your number gets called before the lab closes for the day.

Don't get me wrong, i fucking love being a Canadian

I've now been back to training for a few weeks in the Texas gulf coast area. No real restrictions but more seriousness about not coming in sick at all.

I had the rona in June. I injected bleach and that wiped it out. ‍ Just kidding, I did have it though. I quarantined in my room for a few weeks. Fortunately I have a job that paid the entire time at regular hourly rate. I was extremely tired and couldn't eat much but that's mostly it. I actually went to work and passed a temp check at the gate because I never even had much of a fever. I was fortunate and hopefully won't see long term effects.

Not sure where you heard we have free higher education? The most we get is (sometimes) free upgrading of High School courses if you're an adult.

And as for HealthCare: hell yeah, it IS awesome being able to get basic healthcare for free.
However, the other side is that waiting times for ERs, or even critical surgeries/procedures are insanely long; people are on waiting lists for Quality of Life Surgeries for YEARS at a time.

Also, it's next to impossible to get a Family Doctor/General Practitioner in any community besides the big cities, so, even BASIC things like getting a prescription for an Asthma Inhaler for my girlfriend means GOING TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM AND WAITING 6 HOURS TO SEE A DOCTOR (and sitting next to people who literally need stitches and are bleeding)...and then doing it again when her prescription runs out.

It IS much better in big cities with more Walk-In Clinics and private practices, but you gotta understand: Canada is so fuckin' huge geographically that you can live 8 hours away from the nearest city...most of us are in small communities out in the middle of nowhere, and ain't nobody setting up walk in clinics out here.

Getting Bloodwork, even for Senior citizens means lining up in the Hospital and hoping your number gets called before the lab closes for the day.

Amplefy every negative thing about your health care infrastructure and add a thousand...no hundreds of thousands of dollars in cost. I waited 6 months for my hip surgery even though I'd waited way to long and it was effecting my job. 20 million people just lost their health care down here even though we're in a pandemic!

My NATO round rifle didn't give me shit when it came to "defending" against this country getting devastated by a microscopic bug! Even now we don't have any effective civilian or military leadership because they're all ether infected or hiding away in bunkers! You couldn't make up a cheesy 1990's Harrison Ford thriller where the glass vile's of the mystery Bio weapon are going to wipe out the whole US government as comically stupid as real life down here. They did it to themselves in the fucking Rose Garden!

It costs hundreds of thousands of dollars for any serious medical care or thousands even with "insurance" so thank your lucky stars you're not living in the germ house to your south!

Interesting. Being from the UK you some times hear people complaining about the lack of health services in rural areas but because we are so small compared to your country you are never really more than an hour from a decent sized town (well apart for some bits of Scotland and Wales). Our ER is pretty slow but your's sounds slower, average here is around 4 hours. And I've just had surgery for a deviated septum. I was on the waiting list for about a year which wasn't bad as it wasn't for a serious condition.

My gym reopened recently. I haven’t trained since March when shit the fan. I am struggling to figure out what to do. Going insane without training and
I have this anxiety that I have forgot everything even as a purple belt lol. I’ve been strength training and staying in shape with cardio but not sure how much longer I can go without BJJ. That being said, I’m not sure when I will return. My instructor told everyone feel free to let him know if you would like to stay consistent with one partner and such. I’m not worried too much about myself but more so those around me like my parents and :such. I don’t live with them but still obviously see them.

I was thinking on just starting out for first few weeks or so just going one day a week and go from there. I don’t know.

but because we are so small compared to your country you are never really more than an hour from a decent sized town

Exactly this: each Canadian Province is physically the size of a European Country. I am 4 hours away from the closest city with Regular Walk-In clinics, and 8 hours from our major city (Vancouver) where any major shit needs to happen.

And heck, the Territories (the Provinces up North) are like 4 times physically bigger each.

“At risk group? Two 72 year old grannies competing this weekend at the IBJJF Pan championship.”

F5-D4-E6-EB-A17-A-4-E58-914-B-5-A5-CD5-F243-D4.jpg

I went back about three weeks ago. I train once a week, usually roll one round after class, and that's it. I wear a mask the whole time, but nobody else does. I think our school is actually violating quite a few state regulations, but nobody seems worried about fines. We have to make an online appointment to attend classes, and they fill up pretty fast. We're allowed something like 13 people in a class.

We get all of that in the US while paying out the ass for it.

Medicine in rural areas is often a rough scenario and many distant parts of Canada outside the cities and the suburbs near the US border can make North Dakota look like it has a relatively high population density.

yeah, and the flu is typically gone by the end of april.

having a handful of infected people in the US in january doesn't mean you're feeling the effects of the pandemic. the first deaths happened in march, and it was late march when it finally geared up.

what do you mean regarding spreading and rampant cases? the current average is 40k cases per day. the average in april was 30k. it's a lot more rampant right now than it was back then, and it will get a lot worse during winter for a variety of reasons.

in order to feel optimistic, the summer time should've seen a huge reduction in spreading. it didn't. it's not magically going to be better now when other respiratory infectious diseases will also start hitting the public, while simultaneously entering the prime conditions for this virus. this shit thrives in the winter. the first wave hit the US in early spring. i'm not fearmongering, i'm being logical here. things will get a shitload worse in november and december, even if people want to stick their heads in sand.

Fuck man.

Hear we are one month later on Nov 1st and we're at 70k-80k cases per day with no slowing down.

I remember back in the spring Fauci predicted the pandemic would run for ~ 18-24 months and that the SOONEST we'd see "back to normal" was late 2021. It took the 1918 influenza outbreak about two years to calm down in the US. We're on that kind of schedule.

Fuck man.

Hear we are one month later on Nov 1st and we're at 70k-80k cases per day with no slowing down.

I remember back in the spring Fauci predicted the pandemic would run for ~ 18-24 months and that the SOONEST we'd see "back to normal" was late 2021. It took the 1918 influenza outbreak about two years to calm down in the US. We're on that kind of schedule.
unfortunately, that is the reality we're facing now.

i just wish more people took it seriously instead of acting like petulant children, which only prolongs the crisis.

I don't know if gyms are going to survive with another shutdown of second and third wave hits .

I got Covid last month actually. It was about a week after my last post.

Strangely enough, despite being back to BJJ training normally for about five months at that time, I did not get it from training. Rather I got it from a family type celebration event for one of my friends from the gym.

I was able to catch it pretty fast with a rapid test. I started to feel off on a Weds night, and I got rapid tested Thurs morning.

There was only one time that I trained when I could have spread it before I knew I had it. That would have been the Tues two days before my test. Somehow again no one from the gym got it from me despite me rolling with a bunch of people that day and being Covid positive only two days later.

One other guy from the gym most likely had it too (he didn't get tested but the timeline + his symptoms make it likely). He didn't get it from training either. He was just also at the family party. It is kind of crazy that rolling didn't spread it but hanging out at a party did. That seems to be what happened though. Several other people who don't train were at the party and got Covid as well so it seems someone at the party spread it to a lot of people.

I did spread it to my immediate household family members once I got it. That seems to be nearly impossible to prevent.

It did not affect me very much. I was definitely sick to some degree, but I didn't have to stop any of my day to day activities. Obviously I stayed home for the ten days, but I was still able to do my job just fine. I still worked out every day too. The biggest symptom for me was just tiredness. I went to bed pretty early for about a week.

Overall it felt in some ways like a cold, in some ways like the flu, but it also had unique aspects. I lost my sense of smell and taste for a while. They came back though.

I haven't noticed any long term effects. When I came back to the gym, my cardio was fine, etc. It just felt like I took two weeks off, which I did. I was quickly back to 100%. I am 35 and in good shape for reference.

My wife got it (tested positive) and had about the same symptoms. I assume my kids got it too although they were not tested. They had absolutely no symptoms at all. Apparently most kids under 12 won't even get sick from it.

The other guy from the gym who was a probable also had minimal symptoms. He told me he thought it was just a cold. He is around age 50 and obese for reference.

We shut down the gym for a week to make sure no one else got it. Once we realized it hadn't spread, we opened back up. We will take what precautions we can, but ultimately training is an activity that could spread this. People seem to know this.

The overall virus is spreading a lot in our area now. It's even higher than it was in the spring. I don't think it will slow down anytime soon either. We will probably have a lot of spread until next summer.

Last edited:
I’m going bonkers. My post not too far above mentioning possibly going back like one day a week..I still have not and now with cases exploding I don’t know when. I’m not sure how I can justify going back during the holidays if I want to see my family who is extremely anal with the virus and well understood (father cancer survivor and sister is pregnant).

I’m going bonkers. My post not too far above mentioning possibly going back like one day a week..I still have not and now with cases exploding I don’t know when. I’m not sure how I can justify going back during the holidays if I want to see my family who is extremely anal with the virus and well understood (father cancer survivor and sister is pregnant).

Could always train in November, isolate in December if visiting family around xmas, then go back to the gym in January.

I've been back in since July (we reopened June 1), will probably take most of December off though.

From the UK. Haven't trained since early March, it is s*** and I really miss it.

As long as there is a large demand for bjj, it will never die. It will never close.

Even now a lot of people train underground, in the same bubble (group of people) to prevent spreading. Closing that but leaving pools and costcos open is not fair and ridiculous. So yeah, training will never stop.

Many people will come back after this is over with and long overdue promotions will finally be handed out.

Back