BJJ in a post Covid-19 world

Our gym just started training with a small group of partners. The idea is you try to train with the same 2 or 3 people each time, which doesn't seem all that realistic to me. I went to one class with this arrangement, and I realized I'm just not comfortable with training yet. It just doesn't seem worth it. I hope to go back at the beginning of next year. I told my instructor and he said he understood. It was a hard thing to do. In the past 12 years I've never taken off more than 6 weeks.

I've been doing private classes with up to 2 people, just putting them through body weights workouts and some drills using grappling dummies. Was able to make 75% of rent for June and on pace for same for July.

I have a plan to use the space as childcare with the new hybrid school plan. I think it will be a long while until we can get back to normal so just trying to survive in the meantime

It seems a sure-fire way to contract corona if somebody in there has it. It would be a mystery if it didn't

Yeah, it's risk management, if there's somebody infected, it's 100% chance to get it, but if you're in an area that has few cases you can take the risk. I wouldn't do it in Florida these days, and I didn't do it in march-april because there were a lot of cases in Montreal. Since june we have been consistenly going down in cases, we are talking about a undred to 150 a day in the whole province of Quebec ( about 8 millions in population)

So I've been training with about ten guys, 3 of them have space and mats to train on and we are about 4-5 guys each times. But I wouldn't go in a full class of 40 people right away

Yeah, it's risk management, if there's somebody infected, it's 100% chance to get it, but if you're in an area that has few cases you can take the risk. I wouldn't do it in Florida these days, and I didn't do it in march-april because there were a lot of cases in Montreal. Since june we have been consistenly going down in cases, we are talking about a undred to 150 a day in the whole province of Quebec ( about 8 millions in population)

So I've been training with about ten guys, 3 of them have space and mats to train on and we are about 4-5 guys each times. But I wouldn't go in a full class of 40 people right away

It's actually a good experiment on how much silent symptoms spread.. Some still claim you have to get droplets transmitted and you could avoid that in theory. It won’t be full contact free sparring, but enough to make it worthwhile. If it's completely airborne however, and one has it, your'e fucked.

doooode I've been having BJJ withdrawal bad for the past 3 weeks. I haven't been off some type of grappling mat since i was in high school.

the wife and i got into a quasi argument when i told her i was thinking about doing an open mat....but i'm in Houston where this shit is seemingly out of control. and though i might get mild symptoms or it might eff me up for months this shit has gone from anxiety inducing, to sad, to now i'm angry...but i cant really focus my anger or quell it because i cant roll

fuck 2020

doooode I've been having BJJ withdrawal bad for the past 3 weeks. I haven't been off some type of grappling mat since i was in high school.

the wife and i got into a quasi argument when i told her i was thinking about doing an open mat....but i'm in Houston where this shit is seemingly out of control. and though i might get mild symptoms or it might eff me up for months this shit has gone from anxiety inducing, to sad, to now i'm angry...but i cant really focus my anger or quell it because i cant roll

fuck 2020

Here we are in control, we have flatten the curve but the government is behaving as if we were still in full pandemic mode. Right now, masks are obligated in all indoor commerce, we have strange rules like if you workout in the gym, during your training at your station you can put down the mask but when you go from station to station you have to wear it. You can't be more than 10 people (from max 3 families) in a house but you can go in a theatre with up to 250 people.

My coach is about to restart our gym, he made a facebook group with 50 guys he can trust, he kicked out all the cops from the group and he and the assistant coaches will call an hour and a date on the group 36 hours before the class. We are located into a big gym and we had windows with the boxing room and the weight room, he put curtains on one of the windows, and he built a wall for the other. As I understand, we will lock the door when everybody is in the class and start rolling from there.

They can't stop us!!!

I'm going to sit out and wait for a vaccine. I've re-discovered strength training again in the mean time, one of my original hobbies, and am really loving it - I think it will ultimately help me when I return to BJJ again - strength levels already up quite a bit

My gyms open but it’s just been workouts, bag work for kickboxing, and solo drills for bjj, I only went to one class because it was basically a fitness class and my workouts are harder. Gym owner was saying eventually we’d have bubbles where we pick groups of people we are comfortable training with, I noticed a gym in the near by city is doing that all ready but I doubt my gym will do that any time soon(he even makes us keep our kickboxing gear at the gym). A few of us have met quite a few times over the lockdown to spar and do padwork, and if classes don’t get better we’re gonna start training on our own more regularly.

In my bjj gym noone cares (I wasn't there, just report what some buddie told me) Everyone trains like we used to, though following some instructions like washing hands.

I find all that doesn't make any sense.
Either there is a pandemic that has to be taken seriously and thus contact sports shouldn't be allowed, or there is nothing that bad and then all this circus needs to stop.
Where is the logic when, on the one hand, you shut down clubs, restaurants, force everyone to wear a mask in public spaces, but, on the other, you allow people to grapple??

Moreover -and of course I'm not a doctor- it seems that corona can imply long term complications, such a lung disease, so why would guys who love to spar for 30 minutes every day take the risk to have their lungs completely messed up. Gordon and Craig got rona'ed, who know show they are going to be after that?
Maybe I'm being too cautious, maybe I'm an idiot for sitting on the sidelines and getting out of shape while others roll again, but thing is nobody seems to have a clue about what's going on...

What is certain though, is that people who resume bjj training don't give any fuck about this virus at all. It's there right, of course, but when some of them were the most paranoiac about that virus two months ago, I'm really asking myself what's going on.

In Ukraine, we're doing BJJ since june and I even started teaching a little. The sport is booming, I think about 10% of people haven't returned or are doing privates. One dude is doing kettlebells at home I believe.

If anything will change, it's gonna be hygiene, which is great! I hope everyone starts washing their hands more, wear rashguards instead of cotton shirts and wash their belts :D

Last edited:
Haven't started training again. I might go tomorrow. Problem is that now that things have eased up for about a month now we are seeing a rise in covid cases' again.

I'm also in Montreal and on that BJJ withdraw bad. I'll settle for only drilling technique at this point. The only thing that has saved me during this Pandemic is training kickboxing at the parc 5 times a week with the same partner for the past few months. I'm turning into a striker and it's not by choice lol. Sept 1st, they announced in Quebec that we will be able to roll again in bubbles of 3 or 4. Now I need to find some solid guys... with a decent level... that like both gi and no-gi... that are around 200 lbs... with good hygiene....that are vigilant about Covid on the outside... AND that train on a consistent basis. Wish my luck

I'm also in Montreal and on that BJJ withdraw bad. I'll settle for only drilling technique at this point. The only thing that has saved me during this Pandemic is training kickboxing at the parc 5 times a week with the same partner for the past few months. I'm turning into a striker and it's not by choice lol. Sept 1st, they announced in Quebec that we will be able to roll again in bubbles of 3 or 4. Now I need to find some solid guys... with a decent level... that like both gi and no-gi... that are around 200 lbs... with good hygiene....that are vigilant about Covid on the outside... AND that train on a consistent basis. Wish my luck

The bubble system is gonna be a shitty business in the BJJ clubs. My coach is working on it right now, he can't open right now because the gym as been flooded a couple weeks ago (the roof is in bad shape) and we are waiting for new mats.

I'm gonna wish that my bubble partners are consistent in their training, because I want at least 3 trainings a week. I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna be able to train twice a week in the gym and an extra time at one of the guys house where nobody knows about the bubble!!!

In my bjj gym noone cares (I wasn't there, just report what some buddie told me) Everyone trains like we used to, though following some instructions like washing hands.

I find all that doesn't make any sense.
Either there is a pandemic that has to be taken seriously and thus contact sports shouldn't be allowed, or there is nothing that bad and then all this circus needs to stop.
Where is the logic when, on the one hand, you shut down clubs, restaurants, force everyone to wear a mask in public spaces, but, on the other, you allow people to grapple??

Moreover -and of course I'm not a doctor- it seems that corona can imply long term complications, such a lung disease, so why would guys who love to spar for 30 minutes every day take the risk to have their lungs completely messed up. Gordon and Craig got rona'ed, who know show they are going to be after that?
Maybe I'm being too cautious, maybe I'm an idiot for sitting on the sidelines and getting out of shape while others roll again, but thing is nobody seems to have a clue about what's going on...

What is certain though, is that people who resume bjj training don't give any fuck about this virus at all. It's there right, of course, but when some of them were the most paranoiac about that virus two months ago, I'm really asking myself what's going on.
It's roulette.

One co worker who's(was) a runner is still having their lungs tested every month, has chronic fatigue and cloudy cognitive function.

Another co worker was out for a month re tested and seems only a little dulled.

There's a reason we feel confused and unsure how to move forward because we have been thrown to the wolves without any credible coherent plan at the national level.

The virus is real, highly contagious and all the data is saying that over half of those recovered, over six months now, have symptoms that haven't healed.

I'm training at home until the CDC gets new leadership at the top and they are completely in charge of the national policy and public safety. This present regime is too unstable and contradictory to risk my permanent health on.

Last week my gym let us start training with partners and rolling. We had to submit a list of training partners to be in your bubble, the gym owner wants the bubble to include ppl from outside the gym you interact with, so the more people you live, work, or hang out with the less people in your bubble for training. But no one did that, we are a small gym so all the regulars just listed all the other regulars in our bubble

It's roulette.

One co worker who's(was) a runner is still having their lungs tested every month, has chronic fatigue and cloudy cognitive function.

Another co worker was out for a month re tested and seems only a little dulled.

There's a reason we feel confused and unsure how to move forward because we have been thrown to the wolves without any credible coherent plan at the national level.

The virus is real, highly contagious and all the data is saying that over half of those recovered, over six months now, have symptoms that haven't healed.

I'm training at home until the CDC gets new leadership at the top and they are completely in charge of the national policy and public safety. This present regime is too unstable and contradictory to risk my permanent health on.
Out of curiosity what do you think a new “regime” is going to do? Masks are plentiful. Hospitals aren’t full and seemingly have supplies and respirators. In the private sector theres 100s of thousands of vaccines already produced and just waiting for trials to be concluded. There’s plenty of testing available. How does a Biden win change the danger of covid? It doesn’t magically become less contagious. Are you quitting bjj for 4 years if Trump wins? I get not wanting to go back. I get Trump messed up in the beginning. But I’m not sure what changes If Biden becomes President.

The academy our kids go to has been open for a long time. I have 4 kids ranging from green to white. They haven’t trained there for 6 months. I also have a daughter who is a competitive gymnast who went back to her gymnastics gym when it opened back up. Consequently she caught covid and passed it on to me. She had a headache and no sense of smell or taste for about 2 days. I had about 30 hrs of a severe headache, body that felt like it got hit by a truck, and loss my sense of smell and taste. I still continue to pay dues because frankly the owner has been more than fair in what he charges me. He has trained 6 of us (my 5 kids and me) for almost a decade now. For us, it’s not so much as the fear of the disease, it’s the quarantine after. My wife had to take off 28 days of work when my daughter and I got sick. She never tested positive and yet had to take off that much time. That’s not sustainable for a one income household like ours. So until that changes we sadly won’t be going back. It’s a bummer.

NYC here.
My wife and kids eventually tested positive for antibodies because of my wife positive. My mom and my wife's mom positive. Within our circle easily 150 people affected. One coworker was hospitalized near death but survived. Another coworker felt like crap for a month but back to work OK. One family friend still feels weak 4 months later. No explanation why he is baffled by this. He is a skinny dude that looks like any joe out there.
All that said, do the stats, are you going avoid human contact for the rest of your life? Out of the circle I mention one coworkers father passed away from it at a hospital. Another coworkers elderly relative passed away at a nursing home. My kids had a fever for a few hours thats it. My wife felt sick for a week then back to normal. Do you stop the world for this?

NYC here.
My wife and kids eventually tested positive for antibodies because of my wife positive. My mom and my wife's mom positive. Within our circle easily 150 people affected. One coworker was hospitalized near death but survived. Another coworker felt like crap for a month but back to work OK. One family friend still feels weak 4 months later. No explanation why he is baffled by this. He is a skinny dude that looks like any joe out there.
All that said, do the stats, are you going avoid human contact for the rest of your life? Out of the circle I mention one coworkers father passed away from it at a hospital. Another coworkers elderly relative passed away at a nursing home. My kids had a fever for a few hours thats it. My wife felt sick for a week then back to normal. Do you stop the world for this?
Interesting perspective.

I live in southwestern Ontario. We have basically zero cases. I personally know zero people who have had confirmed COVID. Yet none of the gyms in my area are rolling at all.

Back