BJJ in a post Covid-19 world

I think even weight training gyms, as opposed to dojos, BJJ academies etc, will be among the last things to reopen. And when they do, they may still face restrictions on the number of customers who are allowed to work out at any one time.

Yeah I have a feeling I'm going to be stuck taking shit from Shaun T in front of my TV for a while.

you are talking about it like it is some kind of a 9-5 cubicle grind and you dont wanna quit because you are might make a partner soon

I am a blue belt with a lot of ups and downs and bad injuries in the last 5y but for me it is all about enjoying the ride and getting better, not a race to the black belt

Yeah for real, you're supposed to train because you enjoy it, if you don't enjoy it there's ways to keep fit with far less of a risk of injury.

Yeah I have a feeling I'm going to be stuck taking shit from Shaun T in front of my TV for a while.

Yeah for real, you're supposed to train because you enjoy it, if you don't enjoy it there's ways to keep fit with far less of a risk of injury.

I think by the time I can swap my Kettlebells for a fully equipped gym, I'll be speaking fluent Russian, riding a horse without wearing my shirt and having people I don't like killed with Nerve Agents.

Actually, that last part doesn't sound too bad...;)

you are talking about it like it is some kind of a 9-5 cubicle grind and you dont wanna quit because you are might make a partner soon

I am a blue belt with a lot of ups and downs and bad injuries in the last 5y but for me it is all about enjoying the ride and getting better, not a race to the black belt
I don't disagree with this. At this point, BJJ is more of a grind for me than anything.

I don't disagree with this. At this point, BJJ is more of a grind for me than anything.

Not sure about the possibilities in the post-covid world but maybe you can switch things for a bit. Take a break from BJJ and go into something else for a bit.
Stay active and healthy and who knows, you might rediscover your love for BJJ and come back.

I know how you feel. I started to take competing more serious, and it reignited my marriage with BJJ. Now of course I do jack shit, working on my Sumo body during quarantine.

I try to not think about all this time that I spend not rolling. I was on a 5 times a week scheduled for the last 2 years.

The best 2 years of sports of my life. I've been a runner, a kickboxer, a skier, a cross fiter, a casual jiu jitero. But nothing made me more happy about training than those last 2 years of intense BJJ training. It was fun, validating, I got better...

First I focus on keeping a good cardio (running) and a good overall fitness (bodyweight workouts and elastic bands)

After a month and a half of no BJJ, I need a challenge, so I got back to running and aiming for new personal bests in times and distance. It will keep me fit but it's tough to stay motivated when you already know that it's way less fun than grappling.

After a month and a half of no BJJ, I need a challenge, so I got back to running and aiming for new personal bests in times and distance. It will keep me fit but it's tough to stay motivated when you already know that it's way less fun than grappling.
I'm using this time to fall back in love with weightlifting, one of my first hobbies. I'll be honest, I can't see myself training at the same frequency I did before when this opens back up, lifting is awesome

The more people do stuff like this the longer it'll be before gyms reopen.
This virus isn't going anywhere and now they're talking about it becoming a seasonal thing. They're lying about how dangerous it is in order to purposefully bring down the economy and push vaccines in the future. Smart people will take care of their immune systems and face the consequences of resisting the upcoming vaccine.

I'm using this time to fall back in love with weightlifting, one of my first hobbies. I'll be honest, I can't see myself training at the same frequency I did before when this opens back up, lifting is awesome

I miss Lifting so much, I think my first time back in the gym will just be me hugging the barbells and whispering, "Never scare me like that again!":)

This virus isn't going anywhere and now they're talking about it becoming a seasonal thing. They're lying about how dangerous it is in order to purposefully bring down the economy and push vaccines in the future. Smart people will take care of their immune systems and face the consequences of resisting the upcoming vaccine.

Vaccines are terrible for your immune system, much in the same way that training in MMA is terrible for your ability to fight.

I miss Lifting so much, I think my first time back in the gym will just be me hugging the barbells and whispering, "Never scare me like that again!":)
Thankfully I had a full home gym with a power rack and platform set up and multiple barbells I keep pre-loaded to save time. Makes for good family time too - wife and kids come down to lift with me

Vaccines are terrible for your immune system, much in the same way that training in MMA is terrible for your ability to fight.
I might even agree that too much too hard blows to head accumulated reduces fighting abilities cos a guy is easier KOed able etc like stuff.

So we've got a blue belt in here telling a brown belt what training is all about and then someone else agreeing with him, talking like there's a universal reason why people are, "supposed to train."

Almost feels like I'm back on the mat.

So we've got a blue belt in here telling a brown belt what training is all about and then someone else agreeing with him, talking like there's a universal reason why people are, "supposed to train."

Almost feels like I'm back on the mat.

If you think the color of someone’s belt is the only indicator on if they have anything to teach you or not then I pity all the sweet kernels of knowledge that have escaped you over the years.

A few thoughts occupy my mind. I am wondering who else is thinking along these lines.

a) Do you see a lot of BJJ gyms closing in your area? It is not that after everything opens up, business will resume as usual. Modern estimates indicate that a lot of businesses will have to open up in spite of the risk. This means that people who go to roll will be training in a risky environment and not many practitioners are willing to take that risk.

b) Do you see yourself in that category? Are you going to return to the mat right after it opens or will you continue to train solo for strength and cardio and give yourself a year to see what is happening?

c) A lot of people would have lost their jobs. When it opens up they may not have the funds to train.

In the end, as a gym owner what are your present concerns and plans and as a practitioner what are your plans?

Thanks.

I will continue right after my gym will open but with caution. Going solo at home isn't really training it's just one to tell satisfy yourself thinking you are training when you are actually not.

And everyone at my gym is still paying for the services regularly since the trainer is always 24/7 on call if we have questions related to BJJ.

been training throughout all this emperor's new clothes bullshit...gyms are going to go/have gone underground

Gyms are opening up here, Alberta Canada, on Monday. I'm going to lay off for a bit to see how it goes.

Probably going to invest in a grappling dummy ASAP to make up for the lost time and the fact that I won't be jumping right in to train.

My schools been open for 3 weeks now. I noticed they covered up the windows pretty well. So far so good. At first there was only about 5 of us but this last week a lot more came in.

Back