bjj competition records

I am not sure for BJJ that record is important since when you enter you get a clean slate, unless its Mundails or something.

BUT there is a correlation between competition and success.

For example I saw a coach for a wrestling club post his members off season matches and then next to that number he posted how they ended the year.

I am going to paraphrase but it looked something like this:

Wrestler A 80 offseason matches (YES 80 During the summer), following season result State title
Wrestler B 42 offseason matches, following season result 3rd at state
Wrestler C 29 offseason matches, following season result 2nd at regionals 6th at state
Wrestler D 20 offseason matches, following season result 3rd at regionals, State Qualifier
Wrestler E 15 offseason matches, following season result 2nd at districts, regional qualifier

So and and so forth so it showed a direct line between competing and winning against even the best opponents.

I think the same would hold true for any grappling sport. The more you actually compete to win the better you will become at that sport.

Now that I think about it, do you guys know anyone that does compete VERY often (say 20 or more matches per year) and has NOT gotten better?

In short, yes. I know a few people who compete very regularly, but just haven't quite managed to put it together yet. Usually, this comes from a lack of competition strategy, and then a failure to address that (or implement it) in training between competitions. But some people I know compete a lot, and have never won anything. But IN GENERAL, the most active competitors show that improvement. Then again, if you were losing all the time, how likely is it that you would keep competing. ^_^

Always other factors. @_@

Take care,

Oli

i wish i had all my matches on tape, but once i hit the big tournaments i'll start counting and taking footage, some impressive records up here! :)

In short, yes. I know a few people who compete very regularly, but just haven't quite managed to put it together yet. Usually, this comes from a lack of competition strategy, and then a failure to address that (or implement it) in training between competitions. But some people I know compete a lot, and have never won anything. But IN GENERAL, the most active competitors show that improvement. Then again, if you were losing all the time, how likely is it that you would keep competing. ^_^

Always other factors. @_@

Take care,

Oli

I agree. I think it would show based on your competition. I think it would be normal to lose, initially, but then show a steady improvement before moving up in difficulty and repeating a similar process. But for beginners it can be a funny thing. You always have those matches where you lose to the first guy who ends up placing in the top 3 or even first. I actually do keep track of how my opponent does because I think it helps put things into perspective sometimes.

And I agree with the training for tournaments specifically being very important. Unfortunately there is a difference between great grapplers and great grapplres who know how to compete. Sticking to a solid strategy is paramount as anyone who has watched llyod irvin's grappling guide videos will understand.

I compete rarely, and lose when I do. Currently working on both those things.

I couldn't even tell ya' my BJJ record.

My highschool wrestling record was 187-2. Pretty proud of that one.

Yeah I did but I quite shortly after my freshman year. I was devoting more time to BJJ and my coaches gave me an ultimatum. Wrestling or BJJ? Wrestling would end after college, BJJ wouldn't.

I am a bluebelt now and as a whitebelt I didn't have a good competition record! I am 1-3 all in the gi! One of my losses I felt that the ref did a horrible job and totally robbed me but I am not going to cry over spilled milk (bad decision). My win was by kimura and my losses were by front choke from mount and an armbar from opponents closed guard! I didn't take competition seriously enough and I am not a gym rat by any means.

I have not competed at blue but I promised myself when I do I will have at least a 6 month run of training 4 days a week. I watch alot of dvd's and train only twice a week. I don't feel this is good enough for me to do well as of right now.

I'm 1-6 in the violent gi-based combative martial art. Sucks.

White Belt
Gi - 8-3
No GI - 7-1

Blue Belt before torn LCL
Gi - 3-1
No Gi - 4-1

After Torn LCL
Gi - 1-2
No Gi - 2-3

I'm 2-4, two terrible wins (a victory by advantage and a DQ) , a loss by ezekiel from half guard (well not really an half guard, I was under that kind of mount where you only have his foot in your legs and he have both his knees well planted), and three more losses on points. All as a white belt and in Bjj, except one points lose in a nogi tournament.

Now that I'm a blue I hope to do better at the next competitions I will attend, even if to tell the truth I'm not all that obsessed at all.

I'm 42-1 in thumb wresslin, but I swear that girl lifted her arm off the table.

I was just wondering if people keep track of there competition record, I know if you have been in alot of competitions it's hard to keep track unless you write down your wins and losses, but I haven't been in that many so my record is 7-2

1-2 gi and 6-0 no gi I am a white belt... Obviously

What are some of your records?

Sounds like you must have had some amazing sideline coaching.... :redface:

2-0 Gi with a little more than a minute rest in between my matches :icon_chee

I'm 11-2 overall... 6-0 in my division 3 golds (Lutador, EGO, and USA Judo)... finals losses in absolute Lutador (by an advantage point awarded by the ref, which breaks my heart to this day) to a really good white belt judo black belt and an absolute loss to a blue from my team thats also a judo black belt (love the guy to death and appreciate what he teaches me every day) by wristlock (I had no idea I about to get caught with that lol).

long story short... ok, but a LONG way to go ;-)... next stop... Lutador next month. Then an MMA fight later in Sept... then another tourney in Nov.

oh... and I'm a no stripe white belt ;-) been training for about 8 months.

Records are more important in wrestling then they are in BJJ. That being said I think it has more to do with percentage of wins rather then the amount. When I wrestled in HS I Think I ended my three years at varsity with a 40-45% win percentage, However since transitioning to BJJ I have had a 60-75% win streak. I think the level of competition is still not quite to the level of collegiate wrestling, but it's getting there.

Back