bjj competition records

raines513

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I was just wondering if people keep track of there competition record, I know if you have been in alot of competitions it's hard to keep track unless you write down your wins and losses, but I haven't been in that many so my record is 10-5
3-4 gi and 7-1 no gi I am a white belt... Obviously

What are some of your records?

Last edited:
I keep track of my wins, losses, subs, etc... And try to have video of as many of my matches as possible. It helps me make the most out of competition as a learning tool.

I try to keep my record. Once I'm fully healed, I'll try competing more often. My record is shameful even for a white belt.

3-1. 2-0 in the gi (2 subs) at the white belt level. 1-1 no-gi (no subs) at the beginner level

Haven't competed in almost a year. Want to when I can.

4-1, three submissions, white belt. I've only competed in one tournament, I plan to do many more.

I think I'm 11-5 gi and 4-1 no gi. Honestly I've lost track and will start keeping better track when I get my Blue.

I have six submission wins as a purple belt, so far. Thats all I keep track of.

I don't think it matters that much because you could run into a total buzzsaw in round one or someone who has only been training for a month. Either way I'm 2-1 (No-Gi) and 2-3 (Gi)

0-4. All losses by submission. I don't like to brag.

Imo, if your goal is competition as a tool for improvement it's important. It's helpful to have as clear a record of your wins, losses and breakdowns of how your matches went, what you did well, what you did that needs work, how you felt, etc...these things all give you a clear idea of what to work on in practice afterwards. There are also a lot of patterns that start to emerge the more you compete that provide information for long term improvement. For example, if you win 30 matches via armbar from guard, you know you have a good armbar from the guard. If you attempt 50 armbars from the guard but only landed thirty of them then you have something to work with and twenty armbar attempts to learn from. Maybe you missed those twenty because the opportunity to armbar was on your weak side. Maybe it was because you were intimidated by certain opponents and didn't think they would "fall for" an armbar from the guard.

The learning can be detecting mental weaknesses you have, physical deficiencies, tactical and strategic errors or technical errors. If you don't record keep in a detailed way then I feel that there are so many wasted pieces of information that you can learn from.

I am not sure for BJJ that record is important since when you enter you get a clean slate, unless its Mundails or something.

BUT there is a correlation between competition and success.

For example I saw a coach for a wrestling club post his members off season matches and then next to that number he posted how they ended the year.

I am going to paraphrase but it looked something like this:

Wrestler A 80 offseason matches (YES 80 During the summer), following season result State title
Wrestler B 42 offseason matches, following season result 3rd at state
Wrestler C 29 offseason matches, following season result 2nd at regionals 6th at state
Wrestler D 20 offseason matches, following season result 3rd at regionals, State Qualifier
Wrestler E 15 offseason matches, following season result 2nd at districts, regional qualifier

So and and so forth so it showed a direct line between competing and winning against even the best opponents.

I think the same would hold true for any grappling sport. The more you actually compete to win the better you will become at that sport.

Now that I think about it, do you guys know anyone that does compete VERY often (say 20 or more matches per year) and has NOT gotten better?

Back