BJ Penn vs Bang Ludwig

lets be honest duane had poor ground game and bj penn beat him on the ground

no brainer here

Agreed. Prime BJ destroys today's lw's imo. And most of the ww's. And some of the mw's and lhw's. That's why he's got such a rabid fanbase. Because prime BJ had so much damn confidence that he honestly thought he could beat anybody, at any weight, and he wanted to challenge himself against the very best. He even called out Pride era Wand, when most lhw's didn't want any piece of Wand.

Oh and then there was also this:

[YT]HdvOfCz6_tk[/YT]

BJ was a natural born fighter. Not an athlete. That's what separates the older generation from today's fighters.

This guy knows his shit!

Agreed. Prime BJ destroys today's lw's imo. And most of the ww's. And some of the mw's and lhw's. That's why he's got such a rabid fanbase. Because prime BJ had so much damn confidence that he honestly thought he could beat anybody, at any weight, and he wanted to challenge himself against the very best. He even called out Pride era Wand, when most lhw's didn't want any piece of Wand.

[YT]HdvOfCz6_tk[/YT]

BJ was a natural born fighter. Not an athlete. That's what separates the older generation from today's fighters.

Why is Penn lauded so much for his loss to Machida? They both weighed in at their natural weights, neither of them are known athletes. Machida literally stomped on BJ's face. BJ's corner were yelling out for him to cheat it was so bad.

[YT]HdvOfCz6_tk[/YT]

Yep. The only older generation fighter left standing is GSP. I am excited for BJ's return, but I just dont think he has it any more.

BJ is a bad motherfucker.

He's one of the realest fighters ever. All heart and he fought anybody, any time. You don't come across that very much anymore. True legend, I hope he can have a bright future and I really, really hope can get revenge over Frankie.

He's definitely the greatest LW of all time.

lets be honest duane had poor ground game and bj penn beat him on the ground

no brainer here

Whats your point,You can bring up while you're at it Mir Vs Abbott :rolleyes:.Too bad Bj didn't get chance to fight prime Mach Sakurai

Why is Penn lauded so much for his loss to Machida? They both weighed in at their natural weights, neither of them are known athletes. Machida literally stomped on BJ's face. BJ's corner were yelling out for him to cheat it was so bad.

Because it was at HW and BJ's natural weight is around lw/ww. And because Machida is a former LHW champ and STILL a top contender. And Anderson says Lyoto regularly beats him in training. And Lyoto as the first guy to do anything against Jon Jones. I could go on and on.

Also, I'd seen that fight before, but watching this particular video of it, (don't know if it's the lack of commentary or what) BJ did WAY better than I remembered him doing. It was pretty close, and BJ took it to Lyoto and popped him several good times. Plus he didn't gas nearly as bad as you'd have thought.

Yep. The only older generation fighter left standing is GSP. I am excited for BJ's return, but I just dont think he has it any more.

Yeah GSP is an older gen guy, but he doesn't have the fighter qualities that the older guys had. He used to, but not anymore. He's the first guy that really started playing it safe at the top level, even though he is capable of being exciting. And he wants nothing to do with fighting Anderson. BJ wanted Anderson and Dana had to say no lol.

And I hope BJ's still got it too, but like you I'm doubtful. But BJ's been known to shock the world.

lol.

BJ is arguably one of the most athletic guys to join the sport of MMA. His insane level of balance. His natural flexibility. HIs ability to adapt and learn bjj so fast are all gifts of his natural athleticism.

And the Machida fight was an embarrassment for both of them.

I remember hearing that back in those days (I probably read it on here somewhere). Don't know if it's true or not either, but I can believe it.

And I clearly remember Dana saying BJ wanted Anderson, and Dana had to keep telling him no you're too small.

And I think Gomi was ranked #1 LW when BJ destroyed him too.

BJ is a prime example of a fighters record not telling the whole story. BJ had one of the greatest, most diverse careers out of any mma fighter so far.

I'm call BS on that and say it is one of those things BJ fans feel they need to convince themselves of. I read all the MMA stuff I can and have zero recollection of BJ ever indicating he wanted Anderson or Dana saying he did and in fact quite the opposite. The two had quite a bromance.

But maybe I am wrong and you can quote it. I am sure there would be tons of 'zomg BJ wants to fight Anderson' threads if true. I did a quick google search and could not find any.

ScreenShot001-2.jpg

I'm call BS on that and say it is one of those things BJ fans feel they need to convince themselves of. I read all the MMA stuff I can and have zero recollection of BJ ever indicating he wanted Anderson or Dana saying he did and in fact quite the opposite. The two had quite a bromance.

But maybe I am wrong and you can quote it. I am sure there would be tons of 'zomg BJ wants to fight Anderson' threads if true. I did a quick google search and could not find any.

Dana said that during an interview at some point, maybe around the GSP/BJ 2 fight? And it wasn't like a personal beef type of call out or anything. BJ wasn't mad at Anderson and wanted to kick his ass. Dana was just saying that BJ wanted to fight Andy because that's the type of guy BJ is. And Dana kept having to tell him no.

I'll see if I can find it. But like I said it was during a Dana interview, so finding it might be tough. Lemme see what I can do.

I highly regarded bjj black belt in renzo getting mounted by skills alone...
2_medium.gif

[YT]HdvOfCz6_tk[/YT]

Damn it's always so nuts watching BJ fight Lyoto Machida.. Damn. There's a section in the introduction of his tutorial book written right after the second Hughes fight and he talks about his career up to that point and he mentions the "Ryoto Machida" fight.

"I knew he was a very large fighter -- two hundred and thirty five pounds to be exact --but I was excited to see how my skills fared against an opponent who grossly outweighed me. I wanted to test myself, and it turned out to be quite the test. Machida punched like a mule and kicked even harder.

Although I backed him up with punches for most of the fight, he did an excellent job sporadically pinning me up against the ropes and holding me down on the ground, earning points. I lost by decision, but I learned a lot from that fight and feel that if we were to meet again, the outcome would be much different."

BJ was such a damn badass, basically calling "Ryoto" a point fighter and claiming he only won by a size and weight advantage and BJ basically outstruck him.

Here's the closest I could find so far. I remember Dana talking about it in a vid, but haven't found it yet (this was several years ago after all).

http://www.mmamania.com/2008/10/17/dana-white-bj-penn-vs-anderson-silva-aint-gonna-happen/

From the article:

-"If GSP beats BJ then you’ll see Silva v GSP -- possibly at a catch weight. But if Penn beats GSP there’s no way I’d let him move up to 185lbs, no way. He’ll f***ing fight, argue and cry about it but there’s no way – it ain’t gonna happen, I can tell you that right now – it ain’t gonna happen."

Penn has said numerous times that he would like to hold every belt in the UFC, but according to an emphatic White, it's not going to happen. White is right in that Penn will more than likely raise a stink if he is not allowed to fight Silva ... as he should be. -

Always been my opinion that chubby Penn is the best Penn

Although I backed him up with punches for most of the fight, he did an excellent job sporadically pinning me up against the ropes and holding me down on the ground, earning points. I lost by decision, but I learned a lot from that fight and feel that if we were to meet again, the outcome would be much different."

BJ was such a damn badass, basically calling "Ryoto" a point fighter and claiming he only won by a size and weight advantage and BJ basically outstruck him.

BJ's telling the truth. I remembered Lyoto clearly winning, but rewatching the vid, BJ DID outstrike him and back him up. And Lyoto DID just hold him against the ropes and on the ground. It was crazy!

[/QUOTE]
You are mistaken.

There was an interview with BJ before the Penn-GSP II fight where Penn himself - not Dana - explicitly stated he wanted to fight Anderson if he beat GSP.

Penn and Anderson really admire each other, but Penn is...well, kind of insane. Which is why many of his fans love him.

There's no chance in hell of me locating that interview today, but I remember it well because I was like "WTF BJ??" when I saw it. Penn definitely wanted to fight Anderson, that's no myth.

And you can find video interviews of him calling out Wand in Pride back when Wand was the King, that's well documented. It's just Penn being Penn. He actually believed he could win those fights.

Back