BJ Penn vs Bang Ludwig

actually, due to the controversial nature of Hansen/Gomi, many sources at the time had Gomi still ranked #1 if I remember correctly

See, this is why I love talkin to other old school fans. Stuff like this gets forgotten. I was a fan back then, but unfortunately didn't get into the Japanese scene until a few years later. I was a UFC fanboy (admittedly) and always thought UFC > Pride, blah blah. (I don't feel that way anymore lol).

I'll have to go back and watch the Gomi/Hansen fight. Not even sure if I've seen that one, actually.

See, this is why I love talkin to other old school fans. Stuff like this gets forgotten. I was a fan back then, but unfortunately didn't get into the Japanese scene until a few years later. I was a UFC fanboy (admittedly) and always thought UFC > Pride, blah blah. (I don't feel that way anymore lol).

I'll have to go back and watch the Gomi/Hansen fight. Not even sure if I've seen that one, actually.

actually, I'm not an old-school fan, I started watching MMA a lot later (actually around the time BJ was champ)

I just watch old fights and check old rankings on occasion. Kinda part of an MMA OCD if you will

actually, due to the controversial nature of Hansen/Gomi, many sources at the time had Gomi still ranked #1 if I remember correctly

Na the don't think so I could be wrong tho Hellboy was only 6-1-1 when he beat Gomi so i'm sure that didn't help

actually, I'm not an old-school fan, I started watching MMA a lot later (actually around the time BJ was champ)

That's cool. Usually with the newer fans, I've seen 'em kind of dump on BJ, thinking he was overrated, etc. But like Fedor, BJ and all the other greats, if you were around and saw their reigns as they happened, you realize how good they were.

I just watch old fights and check old rankings on occasion. Kinda part of an MMA OCD if you will

lol I thought I was the only person who was ocd about mma.

Fun fact: coming into this fight Bang Ludwig was ranked by many as the #1 LW in the world.

2004 was BJ's year for a reason

The bang fight was at WW, but...

Indeed. Based largely on knocking Pulver the fuck out.

That's cool. Usually with the newer fans, I've seen 'em kind of dump on BJ, thinking he was overrated, etc. But like Fedor, BJ and all the other greats, if you were around and saw their reigns as they happened, you realize how good they were.

lol I thought I was the only person who was ocd about mma.

I'm one of the biggest BJ nuthuggers on this thread (It's still real to me dammit!)

Indeed. Based largely on knocking Pulver the fuck out.

he beat Sudo too

These ranking are also after Bj smashed Gomi They don't mean Gomi was #1 when Bj fought him. Like i said I don't know for sure but i don't believe Gomi was #1 when he fought Bj.

These ranking are also after Bj smashed Gomi They don't mean Gomi was #1 when Bj fought him. Like i said I don't know for sure but i don't believe Gomi was #1 when he fought Bj.

In BJ's autobiography he described the situation as follows:

"Gomi and I were, depending on who you asked, either the #1 or #2 LW in the world."

There are actually old Sherdog rankings that have Gomi as #1 when he fought BJ

In BJ's autobiography he described the situation as follows:

"Gomi and I were, depending on who you asked, either the #1 or #2 LW in the world."

There are actually old Sherdog rankings that have Gomi as #1 when he fought BJ

The only rankings I can find from '03 have BJ as #1 and Vitor Ribeiro #2 and Gomi as # 3

I didn't see Penn holding the sub for 1.7 seconds longer than he had to. Hopefully Palhares can also see this fight and realize what a professional looks like.

The audio on that video is outstanding. It really enhances the intimacy of viewing the fight. It would obviously be impossible for Zuffa to duplicate such audio (given the acoustical constraints imposed by its larger venues, decibel levels, etc.), but it would be nice.

There's a reason he has a fan base.

He's a frickin warrior. A pudgy little warrior.

I love the K-1 channel on YouTube it's one of the best channels I've come across

Hell yeah it is. I just stumbled across it today, and I've been lost in it for hours now.

The audio on that video is outstanding. It really enhances the intimacy of viewing the fight. It would obviously be impossible for Zuffa to duplicate such audio (given the acoustical constraints imposed by its larger venues, decibel levels, etc.), but it would be nice.

Yeah that's the first thing I noticed about the fights on that channel. It was the BJ/Renzo fight that I watched first, and you could hear the squeaks and grunts and cornermen and everything.

The Japanese crowds are the best. They sit there and study the fight. And I like hearing what's going on. Like you said, it's more intimate, like you're in there with them.

Bj is a legend I hope he surprises everyone and takes out Frankie.

Back