BJ Penn vs Bang Ludwig

HappyHaHa**

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is a great youtube channel I just found. No commentary at all, and great audio so you can really hear everything. All the fights on this channel are like this.

Anyway, BJ vs Bang. I've never seen this one, and didn't realize they'd ever fought. So I figured with these two it was gonna be a great fight. And it was, but holy crap I didn't expect BJ to get a flawless victory like that. Amazing. BJ back in those days really was amazing. And I miss the Japanese mma scene.

[YT]PqirbxLNscE[/YT]

I love how BJ helps him up right after he stops the fight.

it was something else watching bj destroy opponents

Ex: Matt Hughes

BJ Penn is the LW GOAT for a reason.

Agreed. Prime BJ destroys today's lw's imo. And most of the ww's. And some of the mw's and lhw's. That's why he's got such a rabid fanbase. Because prime BJ had so much damn confidence that he honestly thought he could beat anybody, at any weight, and he wanted to challenge himself against the very best. He even called out Pride era Wand, when most lhw's didn't want any piece of Wand.

Oh and then there was also this:

[YT]HdvOfCz6_tk[/YT]

BJ was a natural born fighter. Not an athlete. That's what separates the older generation from today's fighters.

Wasn't there also talk of BJ fighting Shammy at HW?
BJ via RNC after boxing Ken up and defending every takedown with some aerial tricks.

This is a great youtube channel I just found. No commentary at all, and great audio so you can really hear everything. All the fights on this channel are like this.

Anyway, BJ vs Bang. I've never seen this one, and didn't realize they'd ever fought. So I figured with these two it was gonna be a great fight. And it was, but holy crap I didn't expect BJ to get a flawless victory like that. Amazing. BJ back in those days really was amazing. And I miss the Japanese mma scene.

[YT]PqirbxLNscE[/YT]

I love the K-1 channel on YouTube it's one of the best channels I've come across

If BJ comes out and does this to Frankie...it would take away the sting of Anderson getting KTFO. Theres a reason Anderson calls BJ a great. He is one of the last great "fighters"

I don't know how many people know this, and I don't have a source readily available, but apparently when BJ re-signed with the UFC, his contract was to fight GSP, and if he won, Hughes for the title, and then Rich Franklin at 185 for the title. Obviously that all changed when he lost to GSP, but that's some big balls to say you wanted to fight the champ in two divisions back to back preceeded by what he thought was the toughest challenge at WW.

Gotta appreciate Bangs desperation punches from bottom. Heart.

Fun fact: coming into this fight Bang Ludwig was ranked by many as the #1 LW in the world.

2004 was BJ's year for a reason

Yep he earned that title when he beat lw legend bang ludwig

The bang fight was at WW, but...

I don't know how many people know this, and I don't have a source readily available, but apparently when BJ re-signed with the UFC, his contract was to fight GSP, and if he won, Hughes for the title, and then Rich Franklin at 185 for the title. Obviously that all changed when he lost to GSP, but that's some big balls to say you wanted to fight the champ in two divisions back to back preceeded by what he thought was the toughest challenge at WW.

I remember hearing that back in those days (I probably read it on here somewhere). Don't know if it's true or not either, but I can believe it.

And I clearly remember Dana saying BJ wanted Anderson, and Dana had to keep telling him no you're too small.

Fun fact: coming into this fight Bang Ludwig was ranked by many as the #1 LW in the world.

2004 was BJ's year for a reason

And I think Gomi was ranked #1 LW when BJ destroyed him too.

BJ is a prime example of a fighters record not telling the whole story. BJ had one of the greatest, most diverse careers out of any mma fighter so far.

I remember hearing that back in those days (I probably read it on here somewhere). Don't know if it's true or not either, but I can believe it.

And I clearly remember Dana saying BJ wanted Anderson, and Dana had to keep telling him no you're too small.

And I think Gomi was ranked #1 LW when BJ destroyed him too.

BJ is a prime example of a fighters record not telling the whole story. BJ had one of the greatest, most diverse careers out of any mma fighter so far.

Naa Gomi was coming off a loss to Hellboy when he faught Bj I think Gomi didn't become #1 till a couple of years later

Naa Gomi was coming off a loss to Hellboy when he faught Bj I think Gomi didn't become #1 till a couple of years later

Ah, u may be right, it's been awhile.

BJ stomping Gomi was still impressive though :D

actually, due to the controversial nature of Hansen/Gomi, many sources at the time had Gomi still ranked #1 if I remember correctly

Back