Movies Birds Of Prey Bombs at Boxoffice with Only 33Mil

The lowest grossing MCU films were The Incredible Hulk (2008), Captain America: The First Avenger, Ant-Man and the first Thor- all of which grossed under 200 million domestic. Still way better than DC's flops, but they've had their share of underperforming movies.

I'd really only include "Ant-Man", as that was the only one made during the big Marvel craze. The second one didn't do all that well(in terms of Marvel standards) either, IIRC. That might be their one kind of dud character within this established universe.

this movie looks like bigger trash than suicide squad and I havent been able to pull the trigger on watching that yet......

I don't know about that one. Feels like a story that doesn't need to be told like Dark Phoniex. Black widow won't really add anything to the MCU storyline going forward cause its a prequel. So I am not sure how well that will do
I hear you about stories that dont need to be told...Im not sure that DarkPhoenix/jean grey story didnt need to be told....it just didnt need to be told by those shit writers/producers and portrayed by the insane casting choices that were made

m-eBbLs5JX_8JWxpfkxzQ_Ph46Qu2Geg8vm2Ce0tzU4.jpg

I don't consider studios coming up with an Oceans 8 chickflick type movie as a creative risk. Margot Robbie was great Harley Quinn but they managed to shove her into a bridesmaides comic book movie while ruining her character with that stupid new accent she adopted which she didn't have before making her sound like a dumbass. Not to mention the marketing on this is just cringe.

This annoying movie poster sums up the terrible creative direction they went here. Margot Robbie is way better than this stupidity.
/QUOTE]

I don't consider studios coming up with an Oceans 8 chickflick type movie as a creative risk. Margot Robbie was great Harley Quinn but they managed to shove her into a bridesmaides comic book movie while ruining her character with that stupid new accent she adopted which she didn't have before making her sound like a dumbass. Not to mention the marketing on this is just cringe.

This annoying movie poster sums up the terrible creative direction they went here. Margot Robbie is way better than this stupidity.

birds_of_prey.jpg

I've seen Oceans 8, which was solid btw, but this movie doesn't appear to have much in common with it besides the fact that it stars women. Again, i'll withhold judgement on BOP till I've seen it, but it looks like a raunchy girl gang action movie. Not really like anything we've seen in Hollywood for years (Bridesmaids is an out and out comedy, not an action movie).

Maybe that's part of the problem, as it were, from a marketing standpoint as far as the general publics concerned. There are very few precedents for Birds of Prey. Quick, name all of the R-rated female led action movies... i'll wait.

The fact that it may not end up being a huge hit shouldn't detract from its actual quality, or the fact that WB took a risk in making it which -- in my opinion -- is always welcome. Zatanna movie, when?

Anyway, i'll check back tonight after i've seen it and if its crap i'll say so

I'd really only include "Ant-Man", as that was the only one made during the big Marvel craze. The second one didn't do all that well(in terms of Marvel standards) either, IIRC. That might be their one kind of dud character within this established universe.
Of the more recent movies, Dr. Strange, Iron Man 2, and Thor: The Dark World barely squeaked past 200 mil. When most of their contemporaries grossed over 400 million. So massive box office success is not guaranteed. Obviously they are all still profitable hits but would be considered flops by Disney.

Of the more recent movies, Dr. Strange, Iron Man 2, and Thor: The Dark World barely squeaked past 200 mil. When most of their contemporaries grossed over 400 million. So massive box office success is not guaranteed. Obviously they are all still profitable hits but would be considered flops by Disney.

The World > USA

All those films made 100m+ profits for the studio.

.....and IM2 was not recent.

I don't know about that one. Feels like a story that doesn't need to be told like Dark Phoniex. Black widow won't really add anything to the MCU storyline going forward cause its a prequel. So I am not sure how well that will do

It looks like they're going for a Winter Soldier, Cold War spy movie vibe, which could draw fans of that Genre as well as hard-core MCU Geeks like me. And Natasha Romanov has a solid fan base. This gives her fans a sense of closure after her sacrifice in Endgame. I think the movie will do OK.

Samara Weaving should be cast as Harley Quinn from now on. She would be way better in the role than Margot Robbie.

Maybe superheros finally die down
Not likely, or at least not the Marvel ones.

Nope. marvel will kill it this yr with The Eternals
Shit. Black Widow is looking like it's gonna do well. Not "End Game" well, but should at least do Dr. Strange numbers. The Eternals and Shang Chi are the only two films they've announced that I've had doubts about.

Wonder Women is the only good movie DC put out.

Their line up is crap and will be crap as the movies go along.

All the above mentioned movies in yours and Dissecting's posts sucked, but alas, that's the genius of Marvel's Cinematic Universe. The Universe is the rising tide that lifts all boats... which is how you get shitty movies like Captain Marvel making well over a billion dollars. Same with the Iron-Man sequels, Dark World, Civil War, Far From Home, both Ant-Man's, Doctor Strange (that's it, off the top of my head). They've made a bunch of crappy or totally forgettable films that have been propped up by the good faith engendered by the universe. Again, that's a credit to Kevin Feige's genius. Not a knock on him or the MCU. But that doesn't change the fact that they've made more nondescript-to-shitty movies than they have great one's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back