Economy Billionaires race to space much more then putting men on the moon or mars

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
m2loabygryfvkis0ihvo.jpg

I saw a story about asteroid mining in space and being able to control and place asteroids in a safe space in orbit could bring trillions and trillions in raw materials from just one asteroid. The value could be more then mining for gold or other rare earth materials on earth since the beginning of it. The race to mars and moon could be more about getting there but there are rare minerals on the moon too but getting it from there could be more difficult then people think.

SpaceX has been picked to launch a satellite that will launch a projectile that will see if it can effect the flight of the asteroid. Of course the idea of redirecting an asteroid safely away from the earth would be great but also being able to open the door towards potentially creating options such as slowing and placing it within an orbit safely. These things come by far more often then people know most of the time never being a threat but still potentially rich with minerals that could be far rarer then anything on earth.

There are a ton of crazy ideas but being able to place it in a position to being safely mined is the first part of the mission.

Moon-Mining-For-Helium-3-Might-Gross-Trillions-of-Dollars-For-The-Miners.png

The people who are first there could become tillionaires overnight because the value of these could be greater then the GDP of the US potentially over a decade of mining.

asteroid-miner-deep-space-to-launch-first-commercial-mission-by-2020.jpg

Of course being able to prove that you could control and place a body the size of an asteroid in a safe orbit is a huge reach and very very unlikely but the possibility is enough to drive lots of investment if even remotely possible. Companies like Lockheed, Boeing, SpaceX, Blue Origin as well as tons of other Countries are likely in a similar race.

Just thought it was interesting what does Sherdog think?

I think it's bullshit. And the mods recently deleted the thread where scientists admit the moon is in our atmosphere. For those that are not amazed by that admission, ask your nearest astrophysicist.

I think asteroid mining is interesting and cool. I get nervous at the idea of mining the moon because of how the moon's weight, its gravitational pull, affects life here on Earth.

If they could pull asteroids into safe mining orbit, how many before it starts to impact us here on Earth and when they're done, do they jettison them back into space or just abandon them, like some old satellites. Definitely something I'd like to learn more about.

How long before a James Bond villain sets up shop on one and then threatens to push it into an earth collision?

m2loabygryfvkis0ihvo.jpg

I saw a story about asteroid mining in space and being able to control and place asteroids in a safe space in orbit could bring trillions and trillions in raw materials from just one asteroid. The value could be more then mining for gold or other rare earth materials on earth since the beginning of it. The race to mars and moon could be more about getting there but there are rare minerals on the moon too but getting it from there could be more difficult then people think.

SpaceX has been picked to launch a satellite that will launch a projectile that will see if it can effect the flight of the asteroid. Of course the idea of redirecting an asteroid safely away from the earth would be great but also being able to open the door towards potentially creating options such as slowing and placing it within an orbit safely. These things come by far more often then people know most of the time never being a threat but still potentially rich with minerals that could be far rarer then anything on earth.

There are a ton of crazy ideas but being able to place it in a position to being safely mined is the first part of the mission.

The people who are first there could become tillionaires overnight because the value of these could be greater then the GDP of the US potentially over a decade of mining.

Of course being able to prove that you could control and place a body the size of an asteroid in a safe orbit is a huge reach and very very unlikely but the possibility is enough to drive lots of investment if even remotely possible. Companies like Lockheed, Boeing, SpaceX, Blue Origin as well as tons of other Countries are likely in a similar race.

I wonder if putting it in an orbit around the moon is a more achievable and less dangerous proposition. You could use the moon as a base of operations.

I also think your statement that one could become a billionaire over night if they could mine one is funny. I mean, you’d need to be a billionaire just to get the project off the ground. Your company valuation would be in the billions to trillions even before setting out to mine.

Lol imagine waking up in the morning and opening the window and you see a big asteroid just hanging in the sky

I think asteroid mining is interesting and cool. I get nervous at the idea of mining the moon because of how the moon's weight, its gravitational pull, affects life here on Earth.

If they could pull asteroids into safe mining orbit, how many before it starts to impact us here on Earth and when they're done, do they jettison them back into space or just abandon them, like some old satellites. Definitely something I'd like to learn more about.

these are the challenges still ahead and the difficulties this is not something happening in the next few years but decades from now. I am sure by then they would have worked out some of the biggest challenges and questions about environmental and earth impact by then when they begin these large projects. You can bet SpaceX and Blue Origin are looking at this business when SpaceX said they are seeking a 48 hour turn around this could drive a lot of this business rapid turn around.

I wonder if putting it in an orbit around the moon is a more achievable and less dangerous proposition. You could use the moon as a base of operations.

I also think your statement that one could become a billionaire over night if they could mine one is funny. I mean, you’d need to be a billionaire just to get the project off the ground. Your company valuation would be in the billions to trillions even before setting out to mine.

Just a heads up a trillionaire not a billionaire the race is about billionaires looking to make trillions of dollars in successful mining of asteroids.

Lol imagine waking up in the morning and opening the window and you see a big asteroid just hanging in the sky

It will not be that large we could be talking about something that's I would imagine anywhere from lets say 1000 feet in length to 2000 or so feet in length. Not much larger then 3 ISS in size but have substantial weight in tons and tons of rare earth minerals.

money-asteroids-1200.png

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/theres-big-money-made-asteroid-mining/

"
If humans were ever able to get their hands on just one asteroid, it would be a game-changer.

That’s because the value of many asteroids are measured in the quintillions of dollars, which makes the market for Earth’s annual production of raw metals – about $660 billion per year – look paltry in comparison.

The reality is that the Earth’s crust is saddled with uneconomic materials, while certain types of asteroids are almost pure metal. X-type asteroids, for example, are thought to be the remnants of large asteroids that were pulverized in collisions in which their dense, metallic cores got separated from the mantle.

There is one such X-type asteroid near earth that is believed to hold more platinum than ever mined in human history."

Just a heads up a trillionaire not a billionaire the race is about billionaires looking to make trillions of dollars in successful mining of asteroids.
My mistake, I swear it said billionaire.

m2loabygryfvkis0ihvo.jpg

Cool premise for a science fiction movie.

I think we seriously need to be careful and consider the outcome of somebody like Dr.Evil commandeering one of these things.

than* also space exploration has been a giant snore so far, just my opinion.
I think we seriously need to be careful and consider the outcome of somebody like Dr.Evil commandeering one of these things.
Dr. Evil or any other regular Belgian.

I think it's bullshit. And the mods recently deleted the thread where scientists admit the moon is in our atmosphere. For those that are not amazed by that admission, ask your nearest astrophysicist.
Your threads get deleted constantly and you're just not learning from your mistakes. It's almost like you create bad threads on purpose so they can get deleted and you can complain.

than* also space exploration has been a giant snore so far, just my opinion.

Dr. Evil or any other regular Belgian.

Not all Belgians are bad people. Some make great beer. The rest are bothersome to say the least though.

I wonder if someone could use this a huge projectile to hit a city there actually been talk about a government using one of these to be far more powerful then any nuclear bomb in history. The one meteor that ran over Russia exploded with the force of something crazy like a 1000 hydrogen bombs or something crazy.

Back