Economy Billionaires race to space much more then putting men on the moon or mars

Great story about mining in space and they talk about asteroids with Elon Musk saying that a single launch of Starship would be 2 million dollars and being able to recover methane in space on the moon or even mars. Some of these asteroids could be worth quadrillion dollars what and could produce trillionaires by the truck load in this Bloomberg story.

Lol imagine waking up in the morning and opening the window and you see a big asteroid just hanging in the sky
Dunno how old you were in '97, if born at all even, but early that year was a fascinating time to be a human being on Earth:

1280px-Comet-Hale-Bopp-29-03-1997_hires_adj.jpg

Hale–Bopp became visible to the naked eye in May 1996, and although its rate of brightening slowed considerably during the latter half of that year,[16] scientists were still cautiously optimistic that it would become very bright. It was too closely aligned with the Sun to be observable during December 1996, but when it reappeared in January 1997 it was already bright enough to be seen by anyone who looked for it, even from large cities with light-polluted skies.[17]

The Internet was a growing phenomenon at the time, and numerous websites that tracked the comet's progress and provided daily images from around the world became extremely popular. The Internet played a large role in encouraging the unprecedented public interest in comet Hale–Bopp.[18]

As the comet approached the Sun, it continued to brighten, shining at 2nd magnitude in February, and showing a growing pair of tails, the blue gas tail pointing straight away from the Sun and the yellowish dust tail curving away along its orbit. On March 9, a solar eclipse in China, Mongolia and eastern Siberia allowed observers there to see the comet in the daytime.[19] Hale–Bopp had its closest approach to Earth on March 22, 1997, at a distance of 1.315 AU.[20]

As it passed perihelion on April 1, 1997, the comet developed into a spectacular sight. It shone brighter than any star in the sky except Sirius, and its dust tail stretched 40–45 degrees across the sky.[21][22] The comet was visible well before the sky got fully dark each night, and while many great comets are very close to the Sun as they pass perihelion, comet Hale–Bopp was visible all night to northern hemisphere observers.[23]

I think it's bullshit. And the mods recently deleted the thread where scientists admit the moon is in our atmosphere. For those that are not amazed by that admission, ask your nearest astrophysicist.
Why is the idea of the geocorona extending past the moon relevant to this thread or of particular import otherwise?

I think the economic analysis of the profits is being done by scientists. Prices are set by supply and demand. If an asteroid doubles the amount of resources overnight, its resources aren't going to be valued at today's prices. Its value will plummet. So, these "20 trillion dollar profits" per asteroid just aren't realistic at all.

EG -- Look at how much the price of your gas fluctuates whenever some random gulf country decides to just produce a little more or less. Imagine what would happen to the price of gas if every country increased their output by 8 times overnight. It would be like 10 cents a gallon. But scientists are valuing these asteroids at $6 a gallon prices.
For some reason I like the idea of "theoretical economists" existing

If we master the ability to control and mine asteroids, what value will the metal have? Yes the practical use will be there but the Supply/Demand ratio will be turned upside down...it could change the fundamentals of economy..
True, and it may result in a supply glut that could allow for a silly thing like massive amounts of durable robotic assistants for humanity. Or just car frames built of titanium. I dunno, nearly impossible to extrapolate the results with so many varying factors.

I think it's bullshit. And the mods recently deleted the thread where scientists admit the moon is in our atmosphere. For those that are not amazed by that admission, ask your nearest astrophysicist.

As a former meteorological technician I can tell you that what that scientist is referring to is that there are technically traces of gases present near the moon, and they are and extension of the earth's atmosphere.

That's a little different from it being inside of our atmosphere as we know it.

Isn't the real value of asteroid mining that it would make low gravity manufacturing possible?

There are tremendous advantages to building outside of our gravity well.

If you can set up manufacturing in a low gravity environment your main payload you have to move off the earth is humans; most of the material they need to use is already waiting for them in space.

The advantages are obvious if you are seriously looking to explore space.

Isn't the real value of asteroid mining that it would make low gravity manufacturing possible?

There are tremendous advantages to building outside of our gravity well.

If you can set up manufacturing in a low gravity environment your main payload you have to move off the earth is humans; most of the material they need to use is already waiting for them in space.

The advantages are obvious if you are seriously looking to explore space.

I think that's mostly for space travel to giant space stations and space hotels. This billionaire is working on an inflatable hotel that could expand to hundreds of living areas. He estimates he could bring the costs down to a few hundred to a few thousand a day. He already has a unit attached to the space station. Mostly the future space stations are going to be setup for research and low gravity manufacturing and engineering. Elon also talked about someone could fly to Singapore from New York in 40 minutes for 20 grand each way. More then a first class ticket but for a businessman it's ultimately abouttime savings.

It depends on when technology is able to manipulate gravity. The quantum computing race is as interesting as AI. Both are going to facilitate the space race exponentially and in tandem.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

You guy are at lease good or comic relief.

Deems more fantasy than reality, I just don't buy it. Like the idea that people will set up a colony on Mars. Why fly all the way there to do that? Just set one up in Antartica or something.

Deems more fantasy than reality, I just don't buy it. Like the idea that people will set up a colony on Mars. Why fly all the way there to do that? Just set one up in Antartica or something.
The idea is not a remote location it's to have an insurance policy against a global catastrophe.

The idea is not a remote location it's to have an insurance policy against a global catastrophe.

Sure, I get that but Mars has already had a global catastrophe. Why build your safe house in a wasteland in space? Just build it in one of the poles or something. It would seem to be a much better plan cuz you would have access to water and stuff. Building a colony on Mars as an escape hatch to an earth having a catastrophe is just a fantasy. There is no logic to it.

Back