Bill O’Reilly on COVID-19..."Many people were on their last legs anyway"

It's not that I care whether or not you respect me, it's that it's irrelevant. As is your point that schools had to be closed; you'll note I repeatedly said I had no problem with the initial closures. But we're a month in now and am curious as to why we are relying on obviously flawed models to tell us when it is safe to reopen them.

As far as youth being immune, I never claimed they are immune. I just pointed out that children seem to be significantly less susceptible to the Wuhan virus than other demographics, which is a particular characteristic of this disease not often found in other contagious diseases. Usually youth are more susceptible to contagious diseases.

Oh my fuck.

KIDS.

CAN.

SPREAD.

COVID-19.

That is why schools were CLOSED.

You can read the link I provided above and or READ INFORMATION ON YOUR OWN.

There is SOOO much information about how kids can disseminate the virus...

Read or not. I don't care.

[QUOTE="IngaVovchanchyn, post: 159848548, member: 453793”]Wuhan Coronavirus[/QUOTE]

Why tryna be all edgy and instead say time and call it COVID?

That's not even what you asked. I don't think you fully understand the things that you're saying, and I think you're misusing words and descriptions. It's becoming confusing.

This is what you asked:

That is not a request for a specific infection rate that only applies to certain ages. What you asked for is a yes or no answer to the question, "I'm specifically asking whether children carry this specific germ."

The answer is, yes they do. They can become infected, they can become ill, and they can spread that virus to others. They often do not become as ill as their older counterparts, which is to say they may be asymptomatic. Asymptomatic means that they may not show symptoms. Doctors have already determined that asymptomatic persons can spread the virus to others. That makes children even more dangerous in this situation, because they may be even less likely to know that they are carrying the virus. The fact that more children may be asymptomatic, or showing less severe symptoms, also means that the number of children carrying the virus is difficult to measure because they are not being tested and hospitalized.

You are straying dangerously close to "it's just a flu" territory with a lot of this. At this point, you should have updated a lot of your thinking to reflect the reality of how many people are dying even with all of the measures in place to reduce transmission.

My initial question was general, how effective is maintaining the school shutdown in preventing the spread of the disease going forward. I asked it in several different ways, and that may have confused you. Sorry.

Now you yourself are also making some confusing statements. As an example: "The fact that more children may be asymptomatic". Is that a fact? What is your source? If it is a fact, why do you say "may"? It seems as if you are assuming it is a fact, but hedging your statement by expressing it as a possibility.

My initial question was general, how effective is maintaining the school shutdown in preventing the spread of the disease going forward. I asked it in several different ways, and that may have confused you. Sorry.

Now you yourself are also making some confusing statements. As an example: "The fact that more children may be asymptomatic". Is that a fact? What is your source? If it is a fact, why do you say "may"? It seems as if you are assuming it is a fact, but hedging your statement by expressing it as a possibility.

I'm not hedging anything. Children are likely to suffer less severe symptoms, according to both US and Chinese studies. My source is the CDC:
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6914e4.htm

In this preliminary description of pediatric U.S. COVID-19 cases, relatively few children with COVID-19 are hospitalized, and fewer children than adults experience fever, cough, or shortness of breath. Severe outcomes have been reported in children, including three deaths.

And more:

This preliminary examination of characteristics of COVID-19 disease among children in the United States suggests that children do not always have fever or cough as reported signs and symptoms. Although most cases reported among children to date have not been severe, clinicians should maintain a high index of suspicion for COVID-19 infection in children and monitor for progression of illness, particularly among infants and children with underlying conditions. However, these findings must be interpreted with caution because of the high percentage of cases missing data on important characteristics. Because persons with asymptomatic and mild disease, including children, are likely playing a role in transmission and spread of COVID-19 in the community, social distancing and everyday preventive behaviors are recommended for persons of all ages to slow the spread of the virus, protect the health care system from being overloaded, and protect older adults and persons of any age with serious underlying medical conditions. Recommendations for reducing the spread of COVID-19 by staying at home and practicing strategies such as respiratory hygiene, wearing cloth face coverings when around others, and others are available on CDC’s coronavirus website at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.ht

I'm not hedging anything. Children are likely to suffer less severe symptoms, according to both US and Chinese studies. My source is the CDC:
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6914e4.htm

And more:
Good info. Thanks. I am aware that the CDC has said children are likely playing a role in spreading this disease. I am questioning, as an amateur, whether this is so. Something is making this disease significantly less catastrophic than groups like the CDC predicted.

It's not unreasonable to ask, after all even your helpful quote included this caveat: "However, these findings must be interpreted with caution because of the high percentage of cases missing data on important characteristics." This is especially the case when it is evident that the experts have been (happily, in the event) significantly wrong about the deadliness of the disease in the US and elsewhere. The CDC's info here shows they are making plausible assumptions about asymptomatic children as a vector of the disease. They also admit they are lacking key info in this regard.

While not questioning the initial school shut down, I think it is high time to consider reopening schools (and businesses as well). We seem to have successfully flattened the curve and may well be in the area of diminishing returns at the price of increasingly severe economic damage.

Personally, I doubt most kids will go back to school this year, although I have made plain that I am skeptical about the efficaciousness of the school closings. My own kids are progressing well at home.

Good info. Thanks. I am aware that the CDC has said children are likely playing a role in spreading this disease. I am questioning, as an amateur, whether this is so. Something is making this disease significantly less catastrophic than groups like the CDC predicted.

It's not unreasonable to ask, after all even your helpful quote included this caveat: "However, these findings must be interpreted with caution because of the high percentage of cases missing data on important characteristics." This is especially the case when it is evident that the experts have been (happily, in the event) significantly wrong about the deadliness of the disease in the US and elsewhere. The CDC's info here shows they are making plausible assumptions about asymptomatic children as a vector of the disease. They also admit they are lacking key info in this regard.

While not questioning the initial school shut down, I think it is high time to consider reopening schools (and businesses as well). We seem to have successfully flattened the curve and may well be in the area of diminishing returns at the price of increasingly severe economic damage.

Personally, I doubt most kids will go back to school this year, although I have made plain that I am skeptical about the efficaciousness of the school closings. My own kids are progressing well at home.

You think the government should consider re-opening schools...............right now?

Is that what you're saying?

If so...my God. I find it hard to believe that you are NOT trolling..................

You think the government should consider re-opening schools...............right now?

Is that what you're saying?

If so...my God. I find it hard to believe that you are NOT trolling..................

Yes. I think the government should consider reopening schools very soon. Businesses as well.

What I like about Fox is no matter what you did in your past as long as you stay on message they will put you on air.
Dershowitz admits to getting a massage at Epstein’s mansion but kept his underwear on. Dersh also wrote an article stating age of consent is too damn high and Fox has that pedo on all the time.
Bill O cost Fox millions in hush money payments for being a serial sexual harasser. He gets to come on Fox.
I am surprised OJ Simpson does not have a show on FOX. If “The Juice” adopted Diamond and Silk’s gimmick I am sure Fox would give him a half hour show.
So true. They would frame it as them being treated unfairly by the libs.

I have never heard that phrase, and I'm an online millennial.

The kids at my daughter's HS were all saying that type of shit. Not that they want old folks to die. They are just stupid young kids. As we all were at some point.

As for Bill Warmonger O'Reilly. There are at least 10 solid things about him to dislike. This probably should not be on the list as a big deal

The kids at my daughter's HS were all saying that type of shit. Not that they want old folks to die. They are just stupid young kids. As we all were at some point.

As for Bill Warmonger O'Reilly. There are at least 10 solid things about him to dislike. This probably should not be on the list as a big deal

Kids at your daughter’s high school are not millennials.

Can you point to your source for this? We have completely shut down schools across the nation, most of the country is on lock-down, and we are still at 18,000 deaths in 1.5 months.

What predictions are you going by? I have a feeling you are talking about numbers that did not include closing every school in the country, putting a halt on all non-essential employees, and social distancing as the norm.

I posted estimates for you earlier, ranging from 200,000-1.7 million deaths if we did not take measures. 200,000 now sounds absurdly low, considering we're at 18,000 in 1.5 months with most of the country inside their houses. 1.7 million sounds reasonable if we did nothing.

Again, please show me what predictions you are referring to.

We are currently in the most deadly weeks of the disease. Two days ago we logged 2,000 deaths in a single day, making it the worst day on record.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back