Bill O’Reilly on COVID-19..."Many people were on their last legs anyway"

Can you point to your source for this? We have completely shut down schools across the nation, most of the country is on lock-down, and we are still at 18,000 deaths in 1.5 months.

What predictions are you going by?

Again, please show me what predictions you are referring to.

We are currently in the most deadly weeks of the disease. Two days ago we logged 2,000 deaths in a single day, making it the worst day on record.

Predictions abounded and abound of course, but a good benchmark would be the ubiquitous Dr. Fauci, who two weeks ago was still estimating that the US would see between 100k and 200K deaths. Now he has revised that down to 60K. That's a sizable difference (and one I am glad of, 60K is very bad, but much better than 200K). Another good example would be the Institute for Health metrics and Evaluation IMHE at the U of Washington. Their data has been widely used by various levels of government and by the media. They recently made a similar downward revision in their predictions as well. https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...ts-estimates-downward-not-every-model-agrees/

It must be noted that the models which over predicted Covid-19 deaths fully accounted for social distancing and shutdowns.

Now, I am aware that the downward revisions may also be wrong, and that things could get much worse than they are right now. But the current consensus is that the disease is peaking in the next week or has peaked already in many US states, including NY and Louisiana. https://www.beckershospitalreview.c...are-out-the-new-peak-dates-in-each-state.html It also suggests that the attempt to 'flatten the curve' has not only been successful, but is right now way beyond what we need, since the key point of flattening the curve is avoiding overwhelming medical facilities. With some notable exceptions like NYC, we aren't even close to that.

This is why I think it is time to start discussing a return to normalcy sooner rather than later. The shut down has accomplished its main goal, and everything else might be diminishing returns at the certain cost of increasingly severe economic ruin.

I did not claim that nobody ever used the term. I said this:
I've never heard anybody say this. Even on this forum, where this is discussed every single day, I have not personally seen anybody say this. If this is being said, it's certainly not something you could just haphazardly attribute to "millennials" as a group.

I could say, "Boomers have been downplaying this virus since day 1," and list dozens and dozens of examples. But have boomers actually been doing that as a group? Not at all. I find that people often throw "Millennials" around and attribute all sorts of BS to them that really isn't true. More and more lately, I've noticed kids in their teens being referred to as Millennials, and they aren't even Millennials.

I actually think schools should be opened last. Little bastards are the super spreaders

Lol. I'm well aware. My son's school shut down for several days in December due to so many kids having the flu. I got it and it was awful.

We're going to have to go back to normal soon. And I'm open to debate when exactly that ought to be. But it certainly should be soon. We have almost weathered the worst of the storm, though people will continue contracting and dying from the Wuhan virus going forward. Praise the political party of your choice that we did manage to flatten the curve, which was the entire point of the shutdown. Staying shut down on the downward slope of the curve is too high a price for not much gain.

I could say, "Boomers have been downplaying this virus since day 1," and list dozens and dozens of examples. But have boomers actually been doing that as a group? Not at all. I find that people often throw "Millennials" around and attribute all sorts of BS to them that really isn't true. More and more lately, I've noticed kids in their teens being referred to as Millennials, and they aren't even Millennials.

Was just pointing you to information that showed it being used by those on the internet. I never said or implied you said "No one is using the term"

And the article I posted distinctly calls out millennials.

You'd also be correct that some if not many Boomers did not take this serious so save your time and energy searching for articles.

Lol. I'm well aware. My son's school shut down for several days in December due to so many kids having the flu. I got it and it was awful.

We're going to have to go back to normal soon. And I'm open to debate when exactly that ought to be. But it certainly should be soon. We have almost weathered the worst of the storm, though people will continue contracting and dying from the Wuhan virus going forward. Praise the political party of your choice that we did manage to flatten the curve, which was the entire point of the shutdown. Staying shut down on the downward slope of the curve is too high a price for not much gain.

Where do you live. My wife and I live in CA and she had the worst flu/cough(tested neg for flu) in Nov/Dec. They are now trying to figure out if this crap was in CA much earlier

I'd rather see schools stay closed longer than businesses. But just my opinion

Predictions abounded and abound of course, but a good benchmark would be the ubiquitous Dr. Fauci, who two weeks ago was still estimating that the US would see between 100k and 200K deaths. Now he has revised that down to 60K. That's a sizable difference (and one I am glad of, 60K is very bad, but much better than 200K). Another good example would be the Institute for Health metrics and Evaluation IMHE at the U of Washington. Their data has been widely used by various levels of government and by the media. They recently made a similar downward revision in their predictions as well. https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...ts-estimates-downward-not-every-model-agrees/

It must be noted that the models which over predicted Covid-19 deaths fully accounted for social distancing and shutdowns.

I thought you were referring to the estimates in the million range and above, all of which came before any measures were taken.

Fauci was pretty clear that the estimates typically overshoot, and that his 100-200,000 estimate could easily change.
"Whenever the models come in, they give a worst-case scenario and a best-case scenario. Generally, the reality is somewhere in the middle. I've never seen a model of the diseases that I've dealt with where the worst case actually came out. They always overshoot," Dr. Anthony Fauci, a key member of the White House's coronavirus task force, told CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union."
"I mean, looking at what we're seeing now, you know, I would say between 100 and 200,000 (deaths). But I don't want to be held to that," he said, adding that the US is going to have "millions of cases."

If he's revised to 60,000 now, that's great, and it's a direct result of the drastic measures we've taken. Hopefully it gets revised downwards again. But my point here is that we reached 18,000 deaths in 41 days. We hope that we've gotten this on the right path, because if you extrapolate those numbers you will not like what you find. If we were to end the closures right now, you don't think those number would continue to rise at a frightening rate? I honestly don't see how they wouldn't, and neither do our nation's top doctors, which is why they are recommending that we continue doing what we're doing for now.

Now, I am aware that the downward revisions may also be wrong, and that things could get much worse than they are right now. But the current consensus is that the disease is peaking in the next week or has peaked already in many US states, including NY and Louisiana. https://www.beckershospitalreview.c...are-out-the-new-peak-dates-in-each-state.html It also suggests that the attempt to 'flatten the curve' has not only been successful, but is right now way beyond what we need, since the key point of flattening the curve is avoiding overwhelming medical facilities. With some notable exceptions like NYC, we aren't even close to that.

This is why I think it is time to start discussing a return to normalcy sooner rather than later. The shut down has accomplished its main goal, and everything else might be diminishing returns at the certain cost of increasingly severe economic ruin.

Your perspective on flattening the curve is different than mine, based on geography. I'm speaking with friends in NYC every day that work in hospitals. I'm getting a lot of direct information and insight from the NIH doctors, and I know people working at the NIH to combat this disease. I am not watching television to get my impressions of this disease, I'm getting it directly from those who are working to combat the disease. As of yesterday, I know a nurse who has contracted the disease in North Jersey. So my view of it may be more morbid than yours, as a result.

Where you live, you may be seeing and hearing a much different story, that is accurate based on your location. Where I am, and who I'm in contact with, this is absolutely no time for rushing into anything. Mass casualties are occurring right now in NYC, and it could very well happen in many other places if we are not extremely thoughtful about the way we go about "reopening" the country.

I think we will eventually need to stagger it by location. Right now, NYC is not ready. Neither is DC, Baltimore, or Philadelphia.

All I know is my age groups survival rate is 99.8% and that big businesses got trillions in tax payer money.

And I'm sitting at home with no job.

Stop it with this individual thinking, how can you be a victim if you don't associate yourself with a class?

If he's revised to 60,000 now, that's great, and it's a direct result of the drastic measures we've taken.

It is great, but the previous estimates already factored in the steps we've taken. So it's not necessarily true that the earlier models are being revised downwards again because of the steps we've taken, although that's one encouraging possibility.

The revisions to the models also suggest, and this is key, that we're in the worst week now and everything from here on out should be downhill.

That's why I keep repeating that this would be a key time to reassess the shut down. Once we are on the downward slope of the curve, it will have already served its purpose. The shut down doesn't prevent the spread of the disease; it only delays it long enough to avoid crushing the health care system. That mission seems to have been accomplished.

Your point that NYC and some other places may not be ready for a return to normalcy is well taken. A one size fits all policy doesn't work well in these situations.

It is great, but the previous estimates already factored in the steps we've taken. So it's not necessarily true that the earlier models are being revised downwards again because of the steps we've taken, although that's one encouraging possibility.

The revisions to the models also suggest, and this is key, that we're in the worst week now and everything from here on out should be downhill.

That's why I keep repeating that this would be a key time to reassess the shut down. Once we are on the downward slope of the curve, it will have already served its purpose. The shut down doesn't prevent the spread of the disease; it only delays it long enough to avoid crushing the health care system. That mission seems to have been accomplished.

Your point that NYC and some other places may not be ready for a return to normalcy is well taken. A one size fits all policy doesn't work well in these situations.

People will look back on this and realize they bamboozled. It will take a long time for them to admit it though.

Stop it with this individual thinking, how can you be a victim if you don't associate yourself with a class?

The problem is nobody said an entire group was doing or saying anything.

Look at it this way.....

Poster A: I've heard some Catholic Priests have molested children.

Poster B: well, I'm a catholic Priest and I do not molest children.

Poster C: I do not personally know any priests who molest children!

Poster A: provides documentation that some priests have in fact diddled kids.

Poster C: I never said No priests molested any kids

Last edited:
He paid out tens of millions of dollars.

So not even a real punishment. It’s like saying the financial houses learned their lesson because they paid a fine. As if that’s ever been a solid punishment. Paying your way out of a crime.

Oreily should’ve been sent to jail.

So not even a real punishment. It’s like saying the financial houses learned their lesson because they paid a fine. As if that’s ever been a solid punishment. Paying your way out of a crime.

Oreily should’ve been sent to jail.

He was never even charged.

Peppridge Farms remembers when Republicans were telling us your sweet grandma would be sitting in front a death panel deciding if they live or die.
I am glad Conservatives have embraced death panels.

Amen brother. I was about to post this a few weeks back but got lazy. It’s been on my mind ever since.

Remember the "death panels" hoax the republicans were screaming about ?

Fkn gimps.

People will look back on this and realize they bamboozled. It will take a long time for them to admit it though.

Bamboozled by who, and for what purpose? Be specific. What is the conspiracy theory that you’re pushing here?

Back