Bill O’Reilly on COVID-19..."Many people were on their last legs anyway"

I wonder if the oldies (and people with underlying health condtions) who watch fox will finally step out of their ring wing cult bubble and see that people like Bill O'reilly gives zero fucks about them and they've been conned the whole time?

Who am I kidding? That'll never happen.

The Republican Party of America has somehow pulled the biggest con of the last 100 years by somehow getting a large swath of citizens to vote against their own interests and ,unbelievably, for the benefit of their exact opposites (rich, successful elites).

It’s fkn amazing !

Hannity is a bigger asshole but even he had the sense to realize that what Bill said was a bit over the line.

But its highly contagious and so you're liable to pass it on to someone who isn't as resilient.

Bill is definitely being a massive asshole and deserves everything he gets from this statement. Sure on some level its true, many of the people dying are somehow vulnerable due to their age or underlying illness. But the implication is that this isn't a big deal or that it simply sped up the inevitable but that's a really callous way of looking at it. Most people, if they're going to die, would rather die in their own bed surrounded by loved ones and not isolated in an ICU bed with a ventilator shoved down their throat.

Plus a lot of the people dying aren't on their last legs just because they have an underlying health condition or are old. Whose to say that 75 year old who dies from COVID wouldn't have lived another five or ten years? I have an older relative with an underlying lung condition that's in its early stages, if he gets COVID he could easily die but otherwise is probably going to live at least another ten years. People like Bill would classify him as "on his last legs anyway" because to Bill it doesn't make a difference if he dies next week or lives another ten years.

Well said.

It is great, but the previous estimates already factored in the steps we've taken. So it's not necessarily true that the earlier models are being revised downwards again because of the steps we've taken, although that's one encouraging possibility.

That's not really true though. A lot has been done in the last several weeks that was not in place at the time of those predictions. In the last two weeks, 20 different states have issued stay-at-home orders. Don't you think 20 states implementing a stay-at-home order would have some effect on the predictions made prior to that?

Plus, the effectiveness of the preventative measures we take are dependent on factors that are out of our control. Specifically, how many people will listen to the guidelines being given and how closely will people follow those guidelines. That is not something a scientist can predict. They can do their best, and I think they've done a very respectable job so far, with conspiracy theories breathing down their neck at every turn. I've heard so much talk about globalists, and bamboozlers, and all that nonsense, and I keep asking myself if any of these people have ever met a scientist in their lives. These people are not sitting around planning nefariously, they are studying every single bit of data that we have, conducting research, and coming to the best science-based conclusions that they can.

The revisions to the models also suggest, and this is key, that we're in the worst week now and everything from here on out should be downhill.

That's why I keep repeating that this would be a key time to reassess the shut down. Once we are on the downward slope of the curve, it will have already served its purpose. The shut down doesn't prevent the spread of the disease; it only delays it long enough to avoid crushing the health care system. That mission seems to have been accomplished.

Your point that NYC and some other places may not be ready for a return to normalcy is well taken. A one size fits all policy doesn't work well in these situations.

The curve does not automatically stay on it's trajectory when you completely change the factors that are influencing the current trajectory. If we start to trend downward, and we immediately go back to behaving entirely normally, that curve will spike again. It needs to be done very, very thoughtfully.

That's not really true though. A lot has been done in the last several weeks that was not in place at the time of those predictions. In the last two weeks, 20 different states have issued stay-at-home orders. Don't you think 20 states implementing a stay-at-home order would have some effect on the predictions made prior to that?

From what I'm reading, the predictions were made based on everyone shutting down. And no, it's not clear that those 20 states would have a huge impact. The reason they didn't have stay-at-home orders in the first place is that a lot of states have had very low numbers relative to places like NY.

In fact, this may be the key to our differing perspectives. Although I live in Cuyahoga County, which is one of the worst hit areas in Ohio, there are still plenty of spare hospital beds. Whatever other shortcomings Cleveland may have, we have a surplus of world class hospitals. Outside of a few hotspots, most people across the country are almost completely unaffected by the coronavirus, but are having their lives and livelihoods damaged by the shutdown.

Finally, while I agree with you that thought needs to be put into how to lift the shut down, it should still be soon. Of course we will see a small increase in numbers as people try to get back to work etc. that's to be expected. But it should happen soon. The economic cost is real and painful. As you noted earlier, some areas may need to take longer than others to return to normalcy.

^
^
Here’s another brainiac who still doesn’t get even the most basic points of this pandemic. Honestly, aren’t you clowns tired of this charade yet?

Since this virus is extremely contagious and spreads easily the scientists wanted to avoid millions and millions of people contracting it very quickly.

Why? (Well that’s been covered for over a month already but somehow you simply missed it) because it’s best not to overwhelm hospitals. Do I need to go into to detail why? So there arent needless deaths that could’ve easily been prevented. If only there was an example of a place on Earth where the healthcare system has been fully overrun (Italy). We also don’t want societies real heroes (doctors, nurses, supermarket workers, truck drivers, factory works and all front line workers) to needlessly contract this virus further worsening the problem.

I just don’t get why ppl can’t understand this basic premise.

All u hear is 2% mortality, only the old and now......on their last legs anyways.

From what I'm reading, the predictions were made based on everyone shutting down. And no, it's not clear that those 20 states would have a huge impact. The reason they didn't have stay-at-home orders in the first place is that a lot of states have had very low numbers relative to places like NY.

In fact, this may be the key to our differing perspectives. Although I live in Cuyahoga County, which is one of the worst hit areas in Ohio, there are still plenty of spare hospital beds. Whatever other shortcomings Cleveland may have, we have a surplus of world class hospitals. Outside of a few hotspots, most people across the country are almost completely unaffected by the coronavirus, but are having their lives and livelihoods damaged by the shutdown.

Finally, while I agree with you that thought needs to be put into how to lift the shut down, it should still be soon. Of course we will see a small increase in numbers as people try to get back to work etc. that's to be expected. But it should happen soon. The economic cost is real and painful. As you noted earlier, some areas may need to take longer than others to return to normalcy.
I read the predictions were based on ~50% compliance. We're having substantially better compliance that and so the trajectory is flattening sooner than expected.

I read the predictions were based on ~50% compliance. We're having substantially better compliance that and so the trajectory is flattening sooner than expected.

Interesting. Do you remember where you read that and which projections they related to?

The IMHE projections I cited were based on the assumption of full social distancing through May 2020. https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america
As others have already pointed out in this thread, many states have only recently enforced social distancing, so we might actually have less compliance than was factored into those projections.

All I know is my age group has a 99.8% chance of survival, and that big business got 4 trillion in tax payer dollars.

Bamboozled by who, and for what purpose? Be specific. What is the conspiracy theory that you’re pushing here?
giphy.gif

How there haven't been public be-headings is beyond me.

He paid out tens of millions of dollars.

What do you think about Bill dragging his estranged wife up a flight of stairs while their kids watched?
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bill-oreilly-wife-stairs_n_59131674e4b0a58297e1296d
The examiner testified in 2014 that the daughter said she had once seen O’Reilly “choking her mom or had his hands around her neck and dragged her down some stairs”:

Q: In the course of your meetings with the children, did either of them describe any incidents of domestic violence between their parents?
A: Yes.
Q: And who was that?
A: M. reported — having seeing an incident where I believe she said her dad was choking her mom or had his hands around her neck and dragged her down some stairs.

Great guy...............

Bamboozled by who, and for what purpose? Be specific. What is the conspiracy theory that you’re pushing here?

It's not a conspiracy theory. When the dust settles and the totals are in, you're going to have scores of angry poor people who used to have lives, thinking we went too far. It's an inevitability.

I don't have a conspiracy theory. I don't know what's going on I just know something is. Compare this to the response to H1N1.

What do you think about Bill dragging his estranged wife up a flight of stairs while their kids watched?
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bill-oreilly-wife-stairs_n_59131674e4b0a58297e1296d
The examiner testified in 2014 that the daughter said she had once seen O’Reilly “choking her mom or had his hands around her neck and dragged her down some stairs”:

Q: In the course of your meetings with the children, did either of them describe any incidents of domestic violence between their parents?
A: Yes.
Q: And who was that?
A: M. reported — having seeing an incident where I believe she said her dad was choking her mom or had his hands around her neck and dragged her down some stairs.

Great guy...............

He should have been charged with a crime if the evidence was there for sure.

I don't have a conspiracy theory. I don't know what's going on I just know something is. Compare this to the response to H1N1.

H1N1 killed 12,400 people over the course of an entire year.

Covid19 has killed between 16,500-18,500 in only 41 days, while we enforce widespread shutdowns.

This is not H1N1.

It's not a conspiracy theory. When the dust settles and the totals are in, you're going to have scores of angry poor people who used to have lives, thinking we went too far. It's an inevitability.

He’s very clearly implying conspiracy (see his post above). He knows “something” is going on, since we aren’t treating this like the flu.

It's funny how this has devolved into...

Pro Quarantine/Shutdown =Want everyone to lose their job and eat dog food for the next 10yrs

Against a long quarantine =Want millions to die and suffer

Like no one is capable of trying to understand the other side

He’s very clearly implying conspiracy (see his post above). He knows “something” is going on, since we aren’t treating this like the flu.

Many people will have the same sentiment when this is over and done with, unless the numbers spike to some ridiculous degree. Comparisons will be made, and by the looks of it, this isn't going to hit a level where "shut the world down" will have seemed like the appropriate response. And that's if it ends. Numbers are going down, yet more restrictive suggestions are being made. There will be a breaking point eventually, and it's not wrong to question the measures being taken. When you stop questioning them, you are officially a slave.

Before this hit, if I asked anyone if they could envision any scenario where the world's governments shut everything down, it would not be for a virus that has a mortality rate as low as this. It would be end of the world shit. This virus ain't that. Can't blame people for being skeptical.

Many people will have the same sentiment when this is over and done with, unless the numbers spike to some ridiculous degree. Comparisons will be made, and by the looks of it, this isn't going to hit a level where "shut the world down" will have seemed like the appropriate response. And that's if it ends. Numbers are going down, yet more restrictive suggestions are being made. There will be a breaking point eventually, and it's not wrong to question the measures being taken. When you stop questioning them, you are officially a slave.

Before this hit, if I asked anyone if they could envision any scenario where the world's governments shut everything down, it would not be for a virus that has a mortality rate as low as this. It would be end of the world shit. This virus ain't that. Can't blame people for being skeptical.

Comparing this to H1N1 isn’t being a free thinker, it’s just being ignorant and intentionally blocking out the facts. With everything shut down, we are up to around 18,000 deaths in 41 days. That’s far more than H1N1 killed in a year without any restrictive measures taken.

People can come up with conspiracy theories all they want, those people are always around (especially on the internet). But just blatantly ignoring the most basic facts is not something anybody should be accepting of.

If someone wants to claim there is a giant conspiracy being perpetrated against the entire world, they better come up with something better than, “I mean, look at H1N1,”

If someone wants to claim there is a giant conspiracy being perpetrated against the entire world, they better come up with something better than, “I mean, look at H1N1,”

It wouldn't be hard.

Back