Biggest TUF Bust?

Jaime yager was a freak athlete with no gas tank

Colton Smith for sure. He has been finished twice and if he loses his fight next month id guess he is done. That entire season is time taken off of my life that I won't get back.

If speaking just strictly just TUF winners that I had high hopes here, then here are mines from the seasons I have seen.

- Amir Sadollah - Agree with that. Dude finished all his opponents on TUF (his fight with Matt Brown was a goddamn dog fight iirc) but injuries really slowed him down after winning the show

- Court McGee - Dude had some killer instinct when he was on TUF. His fight with Brad Tavares was a good one and he put Tavares to sleep with a rnc. But since winning the show his killer instinct has seemingly disappeared.

- Diego Brandao - He was a killer too, knocking everyone out. But man I don't know, just hasn't been the same since winning TUF. He still has potential though. Just needs to work on his mental game.

Honestly after the first 5 seasons, there isn't a real good fighter that has come out of the show. If anything, Dana is just trying to get some names out there and fighters on his roster to fill his cards.

Most seasons have produced at least one promising fighter except the Colton Smith season. I think Ricci still has potential to make it back to the UFC one day.

I'm surprised people are saying Amir is a disappointment.

If anything, he has exceeded my expectations. He has done about as much as any could have hoped for given his limited athleticism. He's slower, weaker, and less coordinated than almost everyone he faces, yet still manages to win more often than not. That makes him a success in my book, not a failure.

If you honestly thought he was going to be a contender, then you had unrealistic expectations.

Phillipe Nover by far, imo. He was touted as being "The Next GSP", then went on to lose the finals and went 2 and out in the UFC.

Also, Colton Smith isn't doing too hot lately. I was beginning to think that TUF 16 would be the first TUF cast with no active fighters in the UFC (which would have been pathetic), but Neil Magnys starting to catch his stride, so that's good.

I'm surprised people are saying Amir is a disappointment.

If anything, he has exceeded my expectations. He has done about as much as any could have hoped for given his limited athleticism. He's slower, weaker, and less coordinated than almost everyone he faces, yet still manages to win more often than not. That makes him a success in my book, not a failure.

If you honestly thought he was going to be a contender, then you had unrealistic expectations.

^Agree'd 100%

Amir just wasn't that talented to begin with. He relied on his incredible presence of mind, and finishing instinct to take him through the house, but my expectations for him once he fought good competition wasn't that high.

To be frank, I think everyone he beat on TUF would roll over him now. Including Gerald Harris even though he's retired, and especially Matt Brown.

Last edited:
Phillipe Nover for sure... "the next GSP" haha!

There was a pretty cool video of him wrestling with Frankie Edgar at some sort of grappling event at MSG though.

Wilkes had potential but retired due to a serious neck condition.

Dude barely had the time to get his foot settled in the UFC before being forced to retire.

Kendall Groves or Wilks has to be the biggest. The Groves season made TUF lose a lot of steam. I got to think he's the biggest bust.

The Groves season made TUF lose a lot of steam. I got to think he's the biggest bust.

Wat?

I'll grant you that Grove was a less than impressive champion, but his season of TUF was the most successful season in the history of the show, and produced one of the biggest draws of the post-TUF era (Michael Bisping). TUF 3 still holds the record for highest ratings in the history of the show and also led to a successful PPV (Tito-Shamrock 2) and the highest rated (at the time) live card in the history of the UFC (Tito-Shamrock 3). I believe Tito-Shamrock 3 remains the most watched non-title UFC event in SpikeTV history (with Rampage-Hendo holding the overall record).

TUF 4 is the season that made the show lose a steam. Casual fans hated 'the comeback' season and the ratings cratered. TUF 4 was the worst-rated season of TUF on Spike.

Phillipe Nover by far, imo. He was touted as being "The Next GSP", then went on to lose the finals and went 2 and out in the UFC.

Nover got screw over on both fights

Still a little surprised Tommy Speer never got another shot after losing in the finale then getting his face punched off by anthony johnson

anthony_johnson_tommy_speer.gif

Back