Biggest problem with Stephen A's position.

It's supposed to be a fast track when you have multiple titles in another org. You saying Alvarez had a tougher path in going 2-1 before his shot?

Ironically enough, losing to The Cheap Tent. Then earning 2 decisions. Conor knocked out 4 people.
I won't even discredit what Conor did at fw but since he's moved out of the division he's literally had Dana doing everything in his power to give him optimal results. He doesn't even cut weight anymore. He's got more fights at at 170 than than at 155. Basically everytime he loses, Dana allows him to handpick his lw opponent and not cut weight.

Obvious issues have been pointed out and countered by many people with far superior knowledge. Rogan, Luke Thomas, Josh Thomson, Conor, etc etc.

1) "Cerrone folded like a cheap tent" - The implication that he capitulated or "folded" mentally. He's come from behind in several fights, including world title fights. He was hurt by Guillard early, who started fights fast like Conor, with even more power for his size. Came back and starched him. He was hurt badly several times by Matt Brown and came back to win by KO. He was coming back to beat Jamie Varner for the WEC lightweight title before Varner faked an injury from a grazing illegal knee. He even had his best round against Nate Diaz "the cardio monster" in the 3rd, after getting his ass kicked for 2 rounds.

<TrumpWrong1>

2) "Cerrone folded in his first Pay Per View Event". As was stated, he has obviously fought on ppv cards, fought in main events, and fought for world titles. "First PPV Headliner" is a distinction I don't even know Stephen A understands.

<TrumpWrong1>

3) "We didn't learn anything about Conor". We learned that he can break a nose and/or orbital with shoulder strikes. We learned that he is throwing head kicks with more of intent to damage than to just distract. We learned that he is still as comfortable as ever with the pressure to perform on the stage he creates. We learned that he is not "completely finished".

<TrumpWrong1>

But the biggest issue with his statements in my opinion...

4) The constant repeating of "Conor did not show us that he could beat Khabib or JORGE MASVIDAL."

When the fuck did he ever have to show anyone that he could beat Jorge Masvidal? Jorge is not the champion. Jorge is not an unstoppable force. Jorge is not undefeated in 30 fights. He's not Khabib, or Usman. Jorge just showed up to this echelon, on a far more manicured path than anyone could ever say Conor took.

He caught an emaciated Darren Till, he beat what he described as an amateur bum in Ben Askren, and then he got a doctor's stoppage against Nate. Before that he was losing every other fight, and always going to decision, with his biggest win being none other than The Cheap Tent himself.

I guarantee Stephan A knows none of this, and just knows Jorge was the guy in the robe being discussed as a potential future opponent.

tenor.gif

Biggest thing I learned is that people like getting upset about things idiots say. Anyone that takes SAS seriously has bigger problems.

Fuck me
This thread just shows how many retards watch MMA and still have fuck all idea about the sport they pretend to know about.
This is not aimed at thread starter. Just some of the replies make me cringe with how fucking STUPID they are.

It's supposed to be a fast track when you have multiple titles in another org. You saying Alvarez had a tougher path in going 2-1 before his shot?

Ironically enough, losing to The Cheap Tent. Then earning 2 decisions. Conor knocked out 4 people.

Why compare him to Alvarez, who had one of the most pathetic runs to a belt in the history of the sport.

I’m just gonna let the “in another organization” comment pass. Good grief.

Rogan, in his latest defense of Cowboy and criticism of Stephen A. Smith, even says, "Cowboy's had problems in the past with these really big fights. And he looked nervous as f*ck."

Classic Rogan. Substantively I’ll restate everything this guy just said, but this seems like the spot where I’m supposed to scold someone relentlessly as spokesman for mma, so that’s exactly what I’m going to do.

I mean like most fighters Cerrone can be in a different spot mentally for some fights but yeah it's not like he didn't get fucked up right off the bat. If he quit then Mendes and Poirier did as well.

Porier did quit, Khabib broke him.

Difference is one broke 20 mins in, the other broke 20 seconds because Conor hit him with his shoulder....

Cerrone also quit in the Tony fight when Tony broke his nose as well.

Everyone like to quote fighters who back Cerrone but neglect fighters like Bisping who called BS on a pro fighter quitting because of shoulder strikes

2) "Cerrone folded in his first Pay Per View Event". As was stated, he has obviously fought on ppv cards, fought in main events, and fought for world titles. "First PPV Headliner" is a distinction I don't even know Stephen A understands.

LMAO

I don't know why people are losing their minds nitpicking over this.

I think that it's pretty obvious that Smith read that it was Cerrone's first PPV headliner in the press materials that the production crew prepares for the talking heads at the events and fucked it up during his rant.

Otherwise, why would he have brought it up at all? It's not like he'd have any fucking idea how many Cerrone has ever fought on PPV.

I can't possibly express what total fucking babies Rogan, and many of you are making yourselves out to be.....

What we're clearly finding out is that many in the MMA community are not ready to be part of mainstream sports due to their fragile little feelings being hurt....

It's fucking priceless.

No shit. In other sports, idiot talking heads say stupid shit that's clearly wrong day in and day out.

Athletes and fans alike move on.

This is the price of mainstream exposure. You have to deal with some media figure who doesn't know the sport very well giving his opinion.

Most of the people who watched that McGregor/Cerrone fight are casuals who know even less about MMA than SAS does.

Holloway and Poirier from 2013-14?

{<jordan}

Are you joking? Till, Askren, and Diaz are bigger wins especially considering McGrappler was fighting at FW to beat those guys while Jorge is comfortably at WW.

Since you're completely clueless and stuck on Conor's balls I'll give it to you for the 1001'th time.

afa20089fc7f336a53b868f2bcf8e2a9.jpg

Discussing their paths to the title isn’t as interesting as Conor proceeded to beat Mendes, Aldo, Alvarez and Diaz after that. Which to me shows he wasn’t gifted anything as he proved to be better than the champ and #1 FW. No?

Discussing their paths to the title isn’t as interesting as Conor proceeded to beat Mendes, Aldo, Alvarez and Diaz after that. Which to me shows he wasn’t gifted anything as he proved to be better than the champ and #1 FW. No?

What he did afterwards wasn't the discussion. Stay focused. Nate also turned him into a panic-wrestler and panic-runner so let's not pretend he's something better than he actually is.

Stephen thingy gets paid 8m a year to get people talking about him or sport so at this point, he's winning. Joe Rogan also gets to talk about talking so he's winning too.
Cowboy got paid, Conor got paid so everyone is winning and Sherdoggers be Sherdogging.

That's about it but for me this is Stephen sh*t as interesting as Harry and Meghan. It's what he does for a living. It's why they air dropped him in there to do this. This is like Donny Trump but people still buy it. UFC is like WWE now it's been bought. They need to bring in and convert casuals. If you like it, like it, if you don't just move on, and ignore the dumb bits.

What he did afterwards wasn't the discussion. Stay focused. Nate also turned him into a panic-wrestler and panic-runner so let's not pretend he's something better than he actually is.

I don’t get how it’s a relevant discussion though. And oh btw, don’t pretend Masvidal is better than he actually is. Looked like bum against Wonderboy.

I don’t get how it’s a relevant discussion though. And oh btw, don’t pretend Masvidal is better than he actually is. Looked like bum against Wonderboy.

I'm not surprised you don't get it. Stay focused on what the discussion was instead of talking about other things.

<LikeReally5>

Conor was given a title shot after beating Dennis Siver. Jorge's path has been far more difficult.

such a lame narrative.

the fact is, that conor's path to aldo was no easier than aldo's other challengers and he had earned the shot before he even fought siver. siver was a showcase fight on free tv, and still a risk. by the time he faced aldo after beating mendes he had the hardest path to aldo of anyone.

mark hominick beat george roop for a title shot against aldo.
kenny florian beat diego nunes
chad mendes beat rani yahya and nik lentz
frankie edgar was coming off 2 losses
kz beat a greener poirier.
lamas beat erik koch....

so stop with the bullshit narrative on conor's path to aldo.

such a lame narrative.

the fact is, that conor's path to aldo was no easier than aldo's other challengers and he had earned the shot before he even fought siver. siver was a showcase fight on free tv, and still a risk. by the time he faced aldo after beating mendes he had the hardest path to aldo of anyone.

mark hominick beat george roop for a title shot against aldo.
kenny florian beat diego nunes
chad mendes beat rani yahya and nik lentz
frankie edgar was coming off 2 losses
kz beat a greener poirier.
lamas beat erik koch....

so stop with the bullshit narrative on conor's path to aldo.

You clearly can't read.

Oh by the way.

You clearly can't read.

Oh by the way.

exactly. you're implying (and reinforcing that with the repeat pic) conor was coddled and gifted a title shot against aldo which obviously isn't the case, you know isn't the case, yet you try to perpetuate it nonetheless.

exactly. you're implying (and reinforcing that with the repeat pic) conor was coddled and gifted a title shot against aldo which obviously isn't the case, you know isn't the case, yet you try to perpetuate it nonetheless.

He has been coddled his entire career but more importantly the comparison is between Conor and Jorge. Focus on that instead of getting mad that your favorite fighter is Dana's toddler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back