Biggest hype train derailments in UFC history?

Kinda weird to refer to that as a "hype train derailment" as opposed to one of the legends of the sport simply losing. The way I see it, hype train refers to someone who hasn't quite proven himself at the elite level yet.

So imo Wandy doesn't belong in this discussion.

Also, didn't happen in the UFC.
i really cant understand why people cant differentiate the two. Anthony Johnson is an example of a hype train de-railment. Everyone was talking about how he was gonna be the guy to beat GSP until Koscheck came along. Then you never heard from him again and he isnt even in the UFC anymore.

gilbert melendez will be

Definitely. The man gets away with highway robbery over Josh Thomson and people still want to deem him the number 1 LW in the world. Bendo will mop the floor with him.

Everybody point and laugh at the hating dummy that doesn't know what a hype train is. 3-1, but take a look at who made up that 3-1. Would you have accepted him if he'd crushed a handful of cans first so his record could have had some pretty numbers (which is most important!), like oh say Fedor? Brock jumped immediately into the shark tank and did very well for himself. The man deserves respect and credit for that

Brock was flawed and entered MMA too late, but he was legit. A year after his retirement and here you are still crying.

I agree with your views on Brock but I disagree with you when it comes to Fedor.

i really cant understand why people cant differentiate the two. Anthony Johnson is an example of a hype train de-railment. Everyone was talking about how he was gonna be the guy to beat GSP until Koscheck came along. Then you never heard from him again and he isnt even in the UFC anymore.

He's on a fast track back though as a light heavyweight.

I agree with your views on Brock but I disagree with you when it comes to Fedor.

I didn't mean to knock on Fedor, I only used him as an example because 'Idonotbelieveit' chooses to ignore Fedor's padded record while criticizing Brock for being a 3-1 rookie over some top talent.

Yeah but Brock defended the title...against some legit comp. so if you say Lyoto doesn't warrant hype train then neither does Brock.

Yeah, but Brock's striking defense got exposed pretty badly in the Carwin fight, and then he lost two back to back, very one-sidedly. I don't think Lesnar could hang at the top of the division like Machida has for so long. Plus I feel Brock had more hype than Machida, amongst casuals at least.

Fedor can't handle a 280lb man GnPing him. Just ask Bigfoot.

u mad?

You could take 25 wins off of Fedor's record and he still looks better than Brock Lesnar's dart board like hits at the UFC HW's (the two years he could manage to hang in there that is)

You could take 25 wins off of Fedor's record and he still looks better than Brock Lesnar's dart board like hits at the UFC HW's (the two years he could manage to hang in there that is)

The blind hate is strong in this one.

lol

fedor would have destroyed brock, he can't handle the pressure.

One of the few times I've ever read something you posted that I agree with.

I'm confident Fedor would've ran through Brock.

Machida and CC are proven fighters, they're not close to being hype.

My choice would be Varner-Barboza, people were way too sold on Barboza because a couple of nice KO's.

Yeah, but Brock's striking defense got exposed pretty badly in the Carwin fight, and then he lost two back to back, very one-sidedly. I don't think Lesnar could hang at the top of the division like Machida has for so long. Plus I feel Brock had more hype than Machida, amongst casuals at least.

I don't think you would be going out on a limb in assuming Brock had more hype than Machida. Secondly, you could also safely say that Brock's fall from glory was much faster, much more miserable, and all in all, a bigger exposure of a one dimensional fighter who was running out of time and easy match ups.

It wasn't Lesnar's fault though, he didn't start out against the lower end guys like JDS and Cain got to but in the end it was the rusty Couture match up that lead to his downfall, forced into a championship fight and forever relegated to hanging in with the top guys, which he couldn't do and it was apparent.

ITT: people that understand what hypetrain means, and people that THINK they know what hypetrain means.

LOL @ sherdog.

Back