Biggest hype train derailments in UFC history?

GriffinLHWChamp

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys think was the best hype train derailment we've seen. There have been some great ones I was just discussing it earlier. My favorite had to be when cro cop got knocked out by Gonzaga. And in more recent time Machida getting beat by Shogun in the rematch.

Remember when Machida was an unbeatable legend and his era officially started? Yeah. I thought he was too.. we were wrong.

Belcher/Palhares easily.

And soon Rampage/Glover.

Houston Alexander is the most memorable one I can think of. Followed by Todd Duffee.

I would say Duffee but he had to absorb this hellacious shot..

28iumw4.jpg

Wand had the biggest hype train in the history of the internet. It lost some steam in his loss to Arona, but he "avenged" that later on. His controversial decision to Hunt didn't hurt him really. However, he lost some serious steam after the Cro Cop KO. And finally, it came to an epic derailment at this moment:

knockouts_Hendo_KOs_Wanderlei_PRIDE_33.gif

That train had so many casualties it should be considered a hype genocide.

Just wondering what you guys think was the best hype train derailment we've seen. There have been some great ones I was just discussing it earlier. My favorite had to be when cro cop got knocked out by Gonzaga. And in more recent time Machida getting beat by Shogun in the rematch.

Remember when Machida was an unbeatable legend and his era officially started? Yeah. I thought he was too.. we were wrong.

When Randy spanked Tito...

That title will always belong to Houston Alexander.

You have to love, "Houston Alexander is FOR REAL PEOPLE!"The guy even had Affliction making his T-shirt.

Duffman was pretty funny, just because he was on all the covers of muscle mags and people were claiming he was a top 3 striker in the division off of one KO. But really, losing to a 13-1 Mike Russow isn't a bad loss for a young prospect.

Old Man Couture beating the shit out of Gonzaga, when everyone was riding high on his KO win over Mirko.

Randy_Couture_vs_GabrielGonzaga_1000379.jpg

Todd Duffe, the way Joe Rogan hyped him up for that fight, i thought this guys was the next big thing! lol.

Lesnar had the biggest hype train derailment times multiples.

"Brocktober" anyone?

Fedor scared to fight a guy with 4 fights? anyone?

Wand had the biggest hype train in the history of the internet. It lost some steam in his loss to Arona, but he "avenged" that later on. His controversial decision to Hunt didn't hurt him really. However, he lost some serious steam after the Cro Cop KO. And finally, it came to an epic derailment at this moment:

That train had so many casualties it should be considered a hype genocide.

Kinda weird to refer to that as a "hype train derailment" as opposed to one of the legends of the sport simply losing. The way I see it, hype train refers to someone who hasn't quite proven himself at the elite level yet.

So imo Wandy doesn't belong in this discussion.

Also, didn't happen in the UFC.

Back