Biggest hype train derailments in UFC history?

Old Man Couture beating the shit out of Gonzaga, when everyone was riding high on his KO win over Mirko.

Randy_Couture_vs_GabrielGonzaga_1000379.jpg

the hype even got to gonzaga-spaming head kicks over and over

Werdum beating Fedor. For me nothing else is even close. Fedor's hype train was out of control for a guy that hadn't faced a legit HW contender for over 4 years leading up to the Werdum fight.

Werdum beating Fedor. For me nothing else is even close. Fedor's hype train was out of control for a guy that hadn't faced a legit HW contender for over 4 years leading up to the Werdum fight.

How is Fedor a hype train, you retard?

Seeing Gonzaga lose like that was actually amusing, mainly because people were completely doubting Randy again.

Hate to say it but, Cro-cop. I remember that one UFC where they had the announcement that "the most feared heavyweight in the world today" was coming to the UFC.

There were threads like these . . .

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/top-ten-reasons-cro-cop-coming-ufc-480212/

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/ufc-has-approached-cro-cop-470975/

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/why-would-anybody-want-see-crocop-ufc-476039/

With posts like

This would be awesome. I would love to see him rule the UFC HW division.

Unfortunately there is no competition for him in the UFC.

But how the fuck can any moron want to see Crocop in the UFC? I don't get it? you guys would enjoy watching a shark released into a goldfish bowl? Seriously, we will never get to see Crocop fight another decent fighter ever again.

Fizzled in his debut in a gimme fight in Sanchez. Then Gonzaga . . .

16-gonzaga-o.gif

Last edited:
Just wondering what you guys think was the best hype train derailment we've seen. There have been some great ones I was just discussing it earlier. My favorite had to be when cro cop got knocked out by Gonzaga. And in more recent time Machida getting beat by Shogun in the rematch.

Remember when Machida was an unbeatable legend and his era officially started? Yeah. I thought he was too.. we were wrong.

hey hey hey. Settle down there. In 06 Machida was an octopus with bricks on the end of each tentacle. 06 Machida would have beaten the entire UFC roster won a pride open weight gp then saved Tokyo from Godzilla and he wouldnt even need a day of rest. Seriously, back in 06.....

I know theres another oldtimer out there who remembers the "who is this Ryoto guy" threads

Mirko didn't lose to Kongo before losing to GG.

If he would have, obviously that would have been the derailment.

After Sokodjou KO'd Arona and Lil Nog in back to back fights tonnes of people thought he was gonna be the next big thing and that UFC were low-balling him on his contract.

Then he made his debut Vs Machida and has been pretty inconsistent ever since.

SOKOUDJOU-predator.jpg

ufc79_machida_vs_sokoudjou.jpg

Nate Diaz is a top lightweight, but he had a lot of hype going into his fight with Bendo (people were treating him like the uncrowned champ)
he then proceeded to get mercilessly tooled

How are UFC champions hype trains?

Barboza was a hype train
Duffee was a hype train
Do Bronx was on a verge of being a hype train (Jim Miller)
Erick Silva was on a verge of being a hype train (Jon Fitch)

If you lose to good fighters you are not hype.

hey hey hey. Settle down there. In 06 Machida was an octopus with bricks on the end of each tentacle. 06 Machida would have beaten the entire UFC roster won a pride open weight gp then saved Tokyo from Godzilla and he wouldnt even need a day of rest. Seriously, back in 06.....

I know theres another oldtimer out there who remembers the "who is this Ryoto guy" threads

My new sig :icon_chee

How are UFC champions hype trains?

Barboza was a hype train
Duffee was a hype train
Do Bronx was on a verge of being a hype train (Jim Miller)
Erick Silva was on a verge of being a hype train (Jon Fitch)

If you lose to good fighters you are not hype.

I would say that if he beat Fitch it would have no longer been a hype train. Even after the Hendricks loss I still considered a win over him a good way to show where you are in the division and as a fighter.

Sokoudjou has not been mentioned yet?

The guy knocked out Little Nog and Arona back to back and people thought this guy was going to destroy the entire LHW picture for years to come...then people figured out he was 3 minutes of fury, 12 minutes of gasping for air...just have to weather the storm and he is yours.

Another one was Antoni Hardonk...people(me included) looked at who this guy was, and more importantly, who was training him and they jumped all over his nuts...when honestly he was never someone that was worth the hype.

Bob Sapp pre Mirko....need I say more?

everything Vera after Sylvia

God I still remember when some folks thought he was gonna hold titles in two divisions just because he said so.... I'm not immune to hype but with Vera you had to be a bit "touched" if you actually bought into his foolishness.

Vera, Duffee, and Houston in that order. I guess you could include Kimbo for casual fans at the time. But you can't call a guy who legitimately wins a title a hype train and unfortunately (for me, anyway) that includes Brock. And someone listed Wand? Really? Christ on a fucking bike, people ...

Back