Biggest hype train derailments in UFC history?

No shit. Karelin wasn't hype, he was legit and his loss to Rulon was just the end of an era of pure dominance.

not just him, but i see people listing wand, fedor, cro cop, and machida. these guys are all former champs who proved time and time again how skilled they are. just because they lose doesnt mean they werent great. shit machida is still a top ranked lhw

I don't think Machida constitutes as a 'hype train'.

I would say Duffee, or Lesnar.

He compared him to AS as well? LMAO. I liked Nover though, even though I couldn't remember his name off the top of my head.

Haha, I don't remember Dana referring to Nover as the next GSP...not saying it didn't happen or that I don't believe you. Dana is funny.

I like him too, I think the hype worked against him too.

not just him, but i see people listing wand, fedor, cro cop, and machida. these guys are all former champs who proved time and time again how skilled they are. just because they lose doesnt mean they werent great. shit machida is still a top ranked lhw

I only said Crocop because there was considerable hype for him coming into the UFC. And that hype was made by both fans and even by the UFC itself.

I only said Crocop because there was considerable hype for him coming into the UFC. And that hype was made by both fans and even by the UFC itself.

I can see your logic here....UFC hype-train. The argument against it is that he was already well accomplished though.

yeah but i feel like once youve proven how good you are for a long period of time the hype should stop being hype. he proved many times how good he was in both k-1 and pride. i'll agree that maybe his ufc hype got blown away, but some act like because he declined in the ufc that he was shit. and i dont feel brock was a hype train when he lost either. he was a champion and beat good competition. now maybe to his fan base his mystique got destroyed but i wouldnt call his wins hype

yeah but i feel like once youve proven how good you are for a long period of time the hype should stop being hype. he proved many times how good he was in both k-1 and pride. i'll agree that maybe his ufc hype got blown away, but some act like because he declined in the ufc that he was shit. and i dont feel brock was a hype train when he lost either. he was a champion and beat good competition. now maybe to his fan base his mystique got destroyed but i wouldnt call his wins hype

I agree with this.

Lesnar had the biggest hype train derailment times multiples.

"Brocktober" anyone?

Fedor scared to fight a guy with 4 fights? anyone?

Fedor would've got killed by Brock's size and athletism.

Ellenberger should have an honorable mention.

brock lesnar. soon to be hw goat, he was 3-1 when these talks started lol

carwin exposed him, cain took his title then reem retired him.

Definately Duffee straight from "holding" the record of fastest KO to being the butt of one of MMAs best jokes.

thumb3_ufc_114_mike_russow_vs_todd_duffee_ko__1.jpg

I think thats hard to say. Is a hype train really derailed when the fighter won the title and defended it twice before losing?

Not at all. Brock is without question the most unfairly criticized/hated on fighter in MMA history. Over a year after his retirement and you still see people crying over him from time to time. He entered MMA very late in life with legitimate collegiate wrestling credentials. He had gaping holes in his game (like panicking when hit) but he was a legit fighter who deserved every bit of acclaim that he got. MMA fans just tend to be bitter, hating fucks.

I remember people thinking Papy Abedi was much better than he actually turned out to be. People creamed over his physique (lol) and just assumed he was a killer. Now he's 0-2 against a perennial gatekeeper and an unknown.

brock lesnar. soon to be hw goat, he was 3-1 when these talks started lol

carwin exposed him, cain took his title then reem retired him.

Everybody point and laugh at the hating dummy that doesn't know what a hype train is. 3-1, but take a look at who made up that 3-1. Would you have accepted him if he'd crushed a handful of cans first so his record could have had some pretty numbers (which is most important!), like oh say Fedor? Brock jumped immediately into the shark tank and did very well for himself. The man deserves respect and credit for that

Brock was flawed and entered MMA too late, but he was legit. A year after his retirement and here you are still crying.

I don't think Machida constitutes as a 'hype train'.

I would say Duffee, or Lesnar.

Yeah but Brock defended the title...against some legit comp. so if you say Lyoto doesn't warrant hype train then neither does Brock.

Pete Sell comes to mind as well as Houston Alexander and Tank Abbot.

Back