Biggest fall from grace in UFC

I cant accept Chael saving himself. He is a repeat offender when it comes to PEDs, a convicted fraudster and proven liar.
He talked up a tsunami of bullshit against fighters, while all the time juicing...what a complete and utter moron. The guy is a disgrace.

I can fully accept your other point though!!

Chael was never a guy others aspired to be like Anderson. People knew he was a walking shuck and tuned in hoping to see him get schooled. Anderson is the epitome of falling from grace.

And yeah, a lot of guys Chael fought were as doped as he was.

Nice
Post and my thoughts echo yours. A couple of other things to add to that are; it was rumored that crocop was badly KOd before the Sanchez fight in training. It was also rumored that his foot was absolutely smashed after his head kick KO of wand and then the fact
He fought on it right afterwards against josh. If true, im sure those would also affect his movement.

Hmm, I never heard about him being KO'd in training before the Eddie Sanchez fight. I guess I'll go look it up later on tonight or something.

And I also didn't know his foot was messed up after he nearly murdered Wand's soul. Was it the head kick that fucked his foot up? I remember it being Cro Cop's shin sliding up Wand's temple. Looked like one of those grazing kicks, not as brutal as his head kicks on Igor Vovchanchyn and Alexander Emelianenko, fucking love those head kicks. Or was it his right foot that got messed up?

You're right, though, it could've effected his movement. Only he really knows - but, the octagon definitely did make a difference. I don't see Mirko as a guy who would make bullshit excuses for his losses and stuff. He really doesn't like the cage and I don't believe he dislikes it because he doesn't do as well and isn't as comfortable in terms of movement and such like he was in the ring, but because he thinks it's disgusting. I remember him saying how the fence is just gross and stuff.

He really doesn't like that cage, lol. I fully understand, though. Fighting in a cage like that.. you know.. it seems very barbaric, right? but, it's whatever. The cage really is the best stage to show MMA at it's fullest - but, I do prefer a ring because then you wouldn't see guys doing that wall n stall crap all the time. If it was in a ring, a lot of fighters who just want to wall n stall would get KTFO because they can't push them against the ropes and keep them there, or at the turnbuckle.

So, just imagine if Randy Couture was fighting in Pride, lol. He wouldn't be able to push his opponent against the ropes and do what he usually does.

Oh, and Claudia Gadelha would've been KTFO by Joanna Jed because she wouldn't have been able to push Joanna against the fence, hold on for dear life like she did in the cage.

Fuck, in other words, I just hate how there's so many guys who want to wall n stall. I hate that shit. LnP is one thing, that shit is boring as all hell, too, but wall n stall is the worst.. the absolute worst. I'd rather way somebody take their opponent to the floor and rely on control instead of watching something like what Johny Hendricks did against Robbie Lawler in the rematch.. sticking his head between Lawler's legs to avoid being hit in the head, looking like he's trying to put his head up Lawler's ass.. man, it's just awful.

Sorry for the long post. This didn't need to be as long as it was, I just can't say enough how much I hate wall n stall.. and how much I dislike Travis Browne..

He may not be #1, but did no one mention Brock Lesnar? I mean his diverticulitis was a huge factor, but Cain made him look like he didn't belong in the cage. His career wasn't long but he WAS the HW champ. Speaking of Cain, if he loses in the rematch to Werdum, you can add him to the list. These guys aren't at the top, but a lot of other fighters have been mentioned ad nauseum.

Others who come to mind who (I think) haven't been mentioned:

Forrest Griffin
Ken Shamrock
Carlos Newton

Since a lot of the good ones have been said, I'll submit George Sotiropoulos. He had a 7-fight win streak, possibly the longest active streak in the UFC at the time after Anderson and GSP, and was on the cusp of title contention. He then loses 4 in a row, gets cut, and loses a 5th to Mike Ricci =\

Mark Coleman I guess.

Had to sell his Pride GP trophy right? That sucks

Mirko Cro Cop has had the biggest fall from grace, in my opinion.

He was destroying everybody so badly in Pride, then when he came to the UFC, he wasn't the same fighter at all. His movement wasn't even close to being the same and that was a HUGE part of his game. He got KO'd by Gonzaga and was never the same, wasn't even half the fighter he was in Pride and just fell off from there rather quickly.

Mirko simply wasn't comfortable with fighting in the cage. Some people act like that's an excuse - but seriously, Mirko had been fighting in a ring for his entire career until he got to the UFC. Mirko had been fighting professionally in a ring for 11 years by time he was signed to the UFC. He started his pro kickboxing in 1996 and when he went over to MMA, he was still in a ring up until 2007, so he was in a ring for 11 years, pretty much.

So, all of Mirko's training had been in a ring. I'm pretty sure the guy didn't even have an octagon in his gym to train in for his debut in the UFC and his first 3 fights there. He then went back into the ring after his loss to Kongo (didn't Kongo just assault his nutsack with knees the entire time? I forget) and eventually came back to the UFC not that long after since that's where the real money and competition is.

He just wasn't used to the octagon. He couldn't move around as freely as he did in the ring, where he always trained and always competed. Mirko was sensational in the ring. His movement was just crazy to watch. The way he cut angles around his opponent and countered them with that straight left and how he was able to set up his head kick, man, he was truly something to watch. Then, in the UFC, he didn't move around like he used to at all. He just couldn't, he wasn't comfortable with being in the cage, he wasn't used to the environment and I really do believe that effected him.

He was KTFO by Gonzaga and was never the same after. Mirko was never the same after that head kick loss to Gonzaga, that was a brutal loss. After that, he just declined. He just wasn't the same fighter, wasn't even half the fighter he was in Pride.

The fact he had such a long career already by time he got in the UFC is something to take into consideration, along with not being comfortable in the cage and IIRC, didn't even have a cage to train in for quite awhile, then getting KTFO by Gonzaga via head kick, if karma exists, then that's fucking karma right there.

Some may call it an excuse and that the competition in the UFC is just better, but seriously, he lost to Gonzaga via head kick KO after having an amazing career in Pride fighting the best HW's in the world. Pride had THE best HW's in the world for many years. He fought Fedor and went to fucking war with him. Fought Nogueira and went to fucking war with him. He fought TONS of HW's in Pride that would've destroyed Gonzaga so easily.

The ring was a HUGE thing with Mirko. The ring is his home. Some people are better in a ring, some people are better in a cage. Every fighter is different. If Mayweather had to fight in a cage (yes, in boxing), I'm sure he would still win but I bet he wouldn't be as effective and dominant as he is in the ring. He has spent his entire career in the ring. Training there and fighting there. Making a sudden switch to a completely different stage, from a ring to a cage that has such a different shape to it that short of a time, and also because he (Mirko) didn't have a cage to train in (I'm pretty sure he said he didn't have a cage in his gym to train it for a good while, not sure if he even has one now, honestly), that's a pretty big factor and can change a lot of things. Let's not forget about the different rules, too. Gonzaga's elbows were a big factor in his fight with Mirko, Mirko wasn't used to that and got destroyed by them on the mat and then demolished by that head kick on the feet after taking a beating on the mat.

So, if I have to pick any fighter who has had the biggest fall from grace in not just the UFC, but in all of MMA, I would say Mirko Cro Cop. He went from one of the most feared HW's in the world to not even top 10 in quite a short while, honestly. It's pretty sad, too. It's actually sad seeing Mirko lose by KO.

Anyway, this msg is long enough. See ya later by's!!!

i love how you said the same thing three different ways, in three separate instancees. But great points made here, tho. Also, Mirko had probably the toughest murderer's row to start off an mma career of anyone, his first ten or so fights.

A few that I haven't seen mentioned...

Royce took a hit with the hardcores when he popped for roids.

Bob Sapp went from a legit freakshow fighter to an absolute disgrace whose name is synonymous with throwing fights (not a UFC guy though).

Mark Kerr had a Tim Sylvia-like career trajectory but worse.

this is a solid post here imo, especially since the most obvious and current have already been mentioned multiple times.

i'd like to add ken shamrock who has fallen pretty far, and josh barnett who at one point really looked like the next big thing.

Wand, Jones, Anderson take the cake. From all-time greats to fuckup laughingstocks. So much salt.

Chael saved himself by just manning up at the end, admitting and taking his punishment.

Anderson yesterday turned himself into a laughing stock.

Wtf? Chael didnt man up or admit shit and his defense was even worse than Silva's. Chael not only failed multiple tests but he used a FEMALE fertility drug as an excuse.

He talks trash in the media and speaks English though so I guess the WWE fan base find no fault with his actions.

Wtf? Chael didnt man up or admit shit and his defense was even worse than Silva's. Chael not only failed multiple tests but he used a FEMALE fertility drug as an excuse.

He talks trash in the media and speaks English though so I guess the WWE fan base find no fault with his actions.

Sonnen admitted in the hearing to using PED's, he certainly admitted to the HgH and Epo use. So yes, he did admit.

As for the rest, I think Chaels an arse and dont watch WWE and am fairly insulted by the insinuation of racism.

i love how you said the same thing three different ways, in three separate instancees. But great points made here, tho. Also, Mirko had probably the toughest murderer's row to start off an mma career of anyone, his first ten or so fights.

Lmao I actually noticed that after I read over it once I posted it last night. I was too lazy to go back and edit it, though.

I would say Josh Barnett should be in this convo. From youngest hw champ to freelance journeyman due to steroid abuse. Considering how competitive he's remained thru his career, I feel safe saying he would've had an epic resume in the UFC if he hadn't been booted

Not even close. He was 4-4 in his last 8 fights in Pride before coming over. He stayed around .500 in the UFC and had Top 10 wins against Bisping, Stann, and Jardine, and a nice win over Cung Le.

Liddell fell harder. He went 1-5 in his last 6. He got dropped in all 5 losses and got KOed cold in 4 of them.

Tito also fell harder.

Had to scroll to page 5 until Tim Sylvia was mentioned... Really Sherdog?

Back