Big Dead Bodybuilders

I have switched between BJJ and bodybuilding for many years but I never do them at the same time because I don't want to pay two separate gym memberships.

I think progress in bodybuilding is actually more difficult than BJJ progress. You plateau pretty quickly in bodybuilding and it's incredibly hard to get past that. Sometimes impossible without injury. Then there's the whole dieting factor.

In BJJ you basically just need to show up to class and participate. Do it 3-4 days a week and you will improve. Guaranteed.

I have to agree with this. I've been in several sports before, football, wrestling, judo, mma, and yes, if you keep showing up and you aren't stupid with your outside life, you'll make progress.

Now that I'm a strength athlete, its a back and forth battle now that I'm in that advanced intermediate place in my training.

Lol. dude is not natty

That I s true but This thread has exposed a lot of guys with similar inspirations. what kid watching Conan the Barbarian in the 80's didn't want to look like Schwarzenegger, lets not even get into the health benefits, and the poon that it was going to attract I remember looking a t my He man dolls and thinking I want to look like this Master at Arms guy. when Lou Ferrigno first hit that "crab most muscular pose" with the green paint and green contacts on and didn't want to look like the incredible Hulk?

So I guess what I'm trying to say is most normal guys want to be jacked, swole, strong what ever your euphemism is for the body builder look. our favorite GI JOE was sgt slaughter why ? because he had muscles(the toy not the wrestler lol) favorite action hero's Arnold, Sly, because they where jacked.

I actually think if you're a man it's mentally healthy, and normal to want to be as jacked as possible. cant tell you how many bouncers I've worked with that were 6'2 and jacked but couldn't actually fight. their physical presence alone meant 95% of dudes at a club aren't going to try them.

Women some body posted earlier ITT that women don't like super swole guys. now if were talking Big Ron type swole maybe. but my boy was a 6'4 315 pound jacked O Lineman with massive traps and a big ass belly roll. and he was banging more young hot college girls then he knew what to do with. so if these chicks are shagging offensive lineman you telling me a guy like Flex Wheeler was having problems uh ..... me know think so.

great thread dredd.

Anyway this is all me repeating myself at the moment. To sum it up, put these dudes out of their comfort zone and they quit almost immediately. It's weak, it's pathetic, I'm out.

It's kind of amazing how you keep talking about how you're a real man who doesn't quit.

...... and then you basically go "yada, yada, I quit, I'm out"

Meh, I'm in shape and slender. Some people would pay good money to be huge. I'd pay good money not to be...

Thanks but no thanks.

This is the guy I admire:

29.jpg

johngrimek5.jpg

grimek3.jpg

This guy looks pretty big. What year are the pics?

Anybody have a general idea when the steroids area began? Who do you think is the biggest natural bodybuilder before steroids?

Last edited:
This guy looks pretty big. What years are pics from?

Anybody have a general idea when the steroids area began? Who do you think is the biggest natural bodybuilder before steroids?

Well one if the stories I heard was after the holocaust, survivors were given steroids to help them gain weight to fill out their gaunt bodies. I heard they were developed in Germany.

This guy looks pretty big. What years are pics from?

Larry Scott was the one I mentioned before. Don't really hear about steroid use in the early 60s, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. So Larry was either the last clean or first dirty.

Larry Scott was the one I mentioned before. Don't really hear about steroid use in the early 60s, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. So Larry was either the last clean or first dirty.

scott05.jpg

At least post a pic of the man. Hell he 5'7, im 5'5. I might have a chance.

They were first made in the 30s but use history is extremely vague for performance. Athletes were first known (key word known) to be using in the 50s. They were revolutionized from there and really hit the map for performance enhancing.

Most the early body builders were around 200-220 range.

Folks have to realize that not every BB is a 100kg or 100kg+ competitor. Not everyone is Jay Cutler or looks like a Belgian Blue bull. This is a small portion of competitors.

The lower classes have much more "natural" looking physiques.

Its the same thing when people think of powerlifters. The mental image is a 300lbs monster who cant whipe his own ass. Small portion of the competitors.

Thats why they need to keep it All Natty like The Great Mike O'hearn.

46 yrs old and still shredded like champ
mike-rich1.jpg

Apparently Mickey Rourke has been on the "program" recently.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

How about being a good father? How about being a good husband? How about being a productive member of society?

Your view of the world is very naive.

ehhh, there are literally millions of decent fathers out there. Its a low bar and anyone can do it with little effort.

But try being 250 lbs at 7% bodyfat, thats the true test of a real man.

Ya I dont get why some people feel the need to show a superiority to others, but I guess that comes down to the mental complexes.

Dude, that's basically all competition is.... Aka the sports that you enjoy so much.

This guy looks pretty big. What year are the pics?

I think they were taken in the forties. I've heard Grimek called the last clean bodybuilder.

EDIT: since I wrote this I found articles (linked below) claiming Grimek was on roids.

AJackJohnsonJimJeffries.jpg

johnson-jack-22.jpg

%D0%9F%D0%B5%D1%82%D1%80%20%D0%9A%D1%80%D1%8B%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B2.jpg

george_hackenschmidt.jpg

georghackenschmidtx.jpg

primo_carnera.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a Slate that claims Grimek and Paul Anderson were on the first steroids: article (link).

Here's an ad for methyl testosterone (link) you could buy in the 1940s.

Here's a steroids article (link) on a blog concerning their history. I'm thinking the Slate article might be more trustworthy than this blog article.

For these reasons it can be stated with near certainty that Steve Reeves, Clancy Ross, John Grimek, Jack Delinger, Reg Park, John Farbotnik, George Eiferman, etc - who all won major physique titles before the Soviets began using testosterone and before synthetic steroids were introduced in 1956 - were not using bioavailable testosterone or synthetic steroids at the time of their Mr. America, Mr. USA and Mr. Universe wins. Furthermore, it is unlikely that any major title winner was a steroid user before 1957-58 (Pearl won the Mr. USA and Mr. Universe titles in 1956 before his knowledge of Nilevar). Some athletes' careers from the era, such as Reg Park's, do span the introduction of steroids into bodybuilding. In Park's case, he weighed 226 lbs when he won the Mr. Britain title in 1949, 214 lbs when he won the Mr. Universe title in 1951, 215 lbs when he won it the second time in 1958, and 216 lbs when he placed 3rd in 1971 (at age 43 - he returned again in 1973 to place 2nd). If Park did jump on the steroid bandwagon when he learned of them in 1960, then they produced one pound of muscle in 11 years for him.

Maybe take this last article with a grain of salt. I think most people assume Reg Park was on steroids:

Reg_Park1.jpg

image002b.jpg

reg_park_021.jpg

Reg_Park_photo80.jpg

I wouldn't go that far. Just like any physical activity or sport, it can be good or bad.

most sports are about putting an object - ball, puck, whatever - into some kind of receptical. Body building is about the direct path toward looking like you've spent your whole life training for something important - but you haven't.

Personally, I can stand on a boat all day holding a rod and not catch anything and totally enjoy it. I can fuck around all day in the general pursuit of something and enjoy myself the whole way through but when it comes to lifting hunks of metal up and down for hours on end in order to simulate actually having done something useful with your body - that doesn't make a shred of sense to me, except for understanding this kind of behavior as a mental disorder.

It's true. I'm sorry. If you go to the gym for the express and distilled purpose of looking like you go to the gym, you suck. body builders are the worst. A muscular body should come only as a result of pursuing hardship in a different avenue. A super strong brick layer is more impressive - and likely a better human - than a super-shredded bodybuilder.

it's the fetishization of the worst part of humanity, attaining a visual end point that is completely contrary to the very idea of what should put a human in shape to attain such a physique in the first place.

Bodybuilders are self-conscious man-ladies.

It's more of a comment on him thinking BJJ is much more of a "real sport" than bodybuilding. Both are considered fringe sports at best.

bullshit.

BJJ is actually a sport, whereas bodybuilding is the male equivalent to putting on makeup.

It's the tenuous recess for pseudo-men desperate to claim an identity as man. It's a sure sign of a complete pussy.

If you go to the gym to get stronger or to train, you're a man. if you go there to bodybuild - to adorn yourself with a nicer-looking package, then you're a complete wiener.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Konster1
Back