• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Big Dead Bodybuilders

Here's a Slate that claims Grimek and Paul Anderson were on the first steroids: article (link).

Here's an ad for methyl testosterone (link) you could buy in the 1940s.

Here's a steroids article (link) on a blog concerning their history. I'm thinking the Slate article might be more trustworthy than this blog article.

Maybe take this last article with a grain of salt. I think most people assume Reg Park was on steroids:

Reg_Park1.jpg

image002b.jpg

reg_park_021.jpg

Reg_Park_photo80.jpg

Here's a fascinating article (link) from the journal of sports history concerning steroids in the sixties.

bullshit.

BJJ is actually a sport, whereas bodybuilding is the male equivalent to putting on makeup.

It's the tenuous recess for pseudo-men desperate to claim an identity as man. It's a sure sign of a complete pussy.

If you go to the gym to get stronger or to train, you're a man. if you go there to bodybuild - to adorn yourself with a nicer-looking package, then you're a complete wiener.

This is the equivalent to the perception that BJJ is a bunch of grown men wearing pajamas rolling around with each other. There is a reason a lot of BJJ competitions are at old high school gyms with people sparingly in the bleachers. Just like bodybuilding, it's not exactly a spectator sport. Most of the people that actually give a shit about it are the ones competing in it, unlike sports like football, baseball, basketball, etc.

I'm not a fan of bodybuilding by the way, nor do I train for bodybuilding. I'm also not anti-bjj, but I just think the superiority complex from some people who train in it is laughable. You see it a lot with mma guys too. Someone displays strength or athleticism or looks big, they'll say "yea, but I could tap him in under two minutes". Can you imagine a baseball player seeing someone move a lot of weight and counter with "I doubt he can even hit a homerun"? A lot of bjj and mma guys also act as though what they are doing means something and is more functional in daily life. Yep, I'm sure being able to snag a triangle or sweep someone really aids you outside of the gym daily.

BJJ and bodybuilding are both just activities that people do for fun or whatever other reason. Maybe it's competition, maybe it's for the self discipline, maybe it's because it's something they enjoy. Regardless, neither are something you'd consider a major sport with a large audience. Neither have direct applications that you'll use in daily life.

This is the equivalent to the perception that BJJ is a bunch of grown men wearing pajamas rolling around with each other. There is a reason a lot of BJJ competitions are at old high school gyms with people sparingly in the bleachers. Just like bodybuilding, it's not exactly a spectator sport. Most of the people that actually give a shit about it are the ones competing in it, unlike sports like football, baseball, basketball, etc.

The difference is BJJ can be " a bunch of grown men wearing pajamas rolling around with each other" and also be a sport worthy of intrigue on the part of the spectator and self respect on the part of the participant because its an actual, bonafide competition in which the objectives arent simply looking good. Categorically different, obviously, than body building, which does not whatsoever carry any claim to the description of "sport."

I'm not a fan of bodybuilding by the way, nor do I train for bodybuilding. I'm also not anti-bjj, but I just think the superiority complex from some people who train in it is laughable. You see it a lot with mma guys too. Someone displays strength or athleticism or looks big, they'll say "yea, but I could tap him in under two minutes". Can you imagine a baseball player seeing someone move a lot of weight and counter with "I doubt he can even hit a homerun"? A lot of bjj and mma guys also act as though what they are doing means something and is more functional in daily life. Yep, I'm sure being able to snag a triangle or sweep someone really aids you outside of the gym daily.

You are patently and completely wrong here. If someone "looks big" because they spent a bunch of time training toward excellence in a sport or passtime and in the process gained an impressive physique, thats impressive, because subliminally that's what it means when we see someone with an impressive physique - it means that person must spend serious time in pursuit of a healthy goal. Lifting weights for the sake of looking like you actually have a need for that kind of body is the equivalent of a skinny woman suddenly getting a huge fake set of tits. It's total baloney and speaks not to a rock solid work ethic and diet - which is what this physique is supposed to denote -but instead demonstrates the person likes to spend their free time in dogged pursuit of their own solipsistic ideals... It means body builders are superficial douche bags.

BJJ and bodybuilding are both just activities that people do for fun or whatever other reason. Maybe it's competition, maybe it's for the self discipline, maybe it's because it's something they enjoy. Regardless, neither are something you'd consider a major sport with a large audience. Neither have direct applications that you'll use in daily life.

murder and feeding stray dogs are likewise comparable. Let's not pretend that they are the same. Body building is the primitive responses of an inadequate, juvenile brain wrapped up in egocentricism and magazine advertisements. It truly is, as I started out in this thread saying, a mental disease. It's like bulimia for dudes. It's saddening.

The difference is BJJ can be " a bunch of grown men wearing pajamas rolling around with each other" and also be a sport worthy of intrigue on the part of the spectator and self respect on the part of the participant because its an actual, bonafide competition in which the objectives arent simply looking good. Categorically different, obviously, than body building, which does not whatsoever carry any claim to the description of "sport."

You are patently and completely wrong here. If someone "looks big" because they spent a bunch of time training toward excellence in a sport or passtime and in the process gained an impressive physique, thats impressive, because subliminally that's what it means when we see someone with an impressive physique - it means that person must spend serious time in pursuit of a healthy goal. Lifting weights for the sake of looking like you actually have a need for that kind of body is the equivalent of a skinny woman suddenly getting a huge fake set of tits. It's total baloney and speaks not to a rock solid work ethic and diet - which is what this physique is supposed to denote -but instead demonstrates the person likes to spend their free time in dogged pursuit of their own solipsistic ideals... It means body builders are superficial douche bags.

murder and feeding stray dogs are likewise comparable. Let's not pretend that they are the same. Body building is the primitive responses of an inadequate, juvenile brain wrapped up in egocentricism and magazine advertisements. It truly is, as I started out in this thread saying, a mental disease. It's like bulimia for dudes. It's saddening.

I can understand why people think bodybuilding isn't a sport, but the abnormally personal attacks and value/character judgements of those that participate in it is entirely unwarranted.

You are making a ton of baseless claims and assumptions about what people's motives are, and who they are as individuals.

As posted earlier, I have been a competitive bodybuilder for more than a decade. I do it, because I enjoy it - ego, narcissism, compensation for some perceived inadequacy etc. are not conscious motivators for why I choose to do it.

You have also reduced an entire subset of people into a superficial characterization (and an insulting one at that). There is no one archetype for a "body builder", we are as a diverse group of people as anyone else. Sure, you have your typical meat heads, but there are also doctors, lawyers, cops, family men...heck, you name it, and I can probably find a bodybuilder that does it.

As hard as this is to believe, but we are more than our bodies (and we care about more than our bodies).

murder and feeding stray dogs are likewise comparable. Let's not pretend that they are the same.
Body building is the primitive responses of an inadequate, juvenile brain wrapped up in egocentricism and magazine advertisements. It truly is, as I started out in this thread saying, a mental disease. It's like bulimia for dudes. It's saddening.

Lol - I'd love to hear how someone can compete in bodybuilding without a rock solid work ethic and diet. I'd love to know how they magically got the build without a work ethic and diet. As many have mentioned here (that aren't even fans of bodybuilding), they can at least admire the work ethic and dedication that it takes. There is no denying that.

The last bolded part shows how ridiculous of a person you are. It's as ignorant as people saying that people pursue BJJ because they have an inferiority complex and feel the need to be able to submit someone else physically. As someone who has had several hobbies throughout my life that seem completely different from eachother (baseball, playing instruments, skateboarding, golf, weightlifting, etc.), I can tell you that there isn't some grand importance of any of them. Unless you are competing at the highest level and earning decent money from them, they are just activities that you have fun with. It's all about measurable progress and the feeling of accomplishment. Someone grinding in the gym every day and watching their diet for a bodybuilding competition isn't much different from someone grinding in the bjj gym everyday and watching their diet for the next bjj competition. They are both after the same goal - to get better at something they enjoy.

I can understand why people think bodybuilding isn't a sport, but the abnormally personal attacks and value/character judgements of those that participate in it is entirely unwarranted.

You are making a ton of baseless claims and assumptions about what people's motives are, and who they are as individuals.

As posted earlier, I have been a competitive bodybuilder for more than a decade. I do it, because I enjoy it - ego, narcissism, compensation for some perceived inadequacy etc. are not conscious motivators for why I choose to do it.

You have also reduced an entire subset of people into a superficial characterization (and an insulting one at that). There is no one archetype for a "body builder", we are as a diverse group of people as anyone else. Sure, you have your typical meat heads, but there are also doctors, lawyers, cops, family men...heck, you name it, and I can probably find a bodybuilder that does it.

As hard as this is to believe, but we are more than our bodies (and we care about more than our bodies).

Says that, but has a Douchey Mc Douche belt...

giphy.gif

The last bolded part shows how ridiculous of a person you are. It's as ignorant as people saying that people pursue BJJ because they have an inferiority complex and feel the need to be able to submit someone else physically. As someone who has had several hobbies throughout my life that seem completely different from eachother (baseball, playing instruments, skateboarding, golf, weightlifting, etc.), I can tell you that there isn't some grand importance of any of them. Unless you are competing at the highest level and earning decent money from them, they are just activities that you have fun with. It's all about measurable progress and the feeling of accomplishment. Someone grinding in the gym every day and watching their diet for a bodybuilding competition isn't much different from someone grinding in the bjj gym everyday and watching their diet for the next bjj competition. They are both after the same goal - to get better at something they enjoy.

Nailed it

Dude, that's basically all competition is.... Aka the sports that you enjoy so much.

No. That is competing during sports. Were talking about being dicks to other people just because.

most sports are about putting an object - ball, puck, whatever - into some kind of receptical. Body building is about the direct path toward looking like you've spent your whole life training for something important - but you haven't.

Personally, I can stand on a boat all day holding a rod and not catch anything and totally enjoy it. I can fuck around all day in the general pursuit of something and enjoy myself the whole way through but when it comes to lifting hunks of metal up and down for hours on end in order to simulate actually having done something useful with your body - that doesn't make a shred of sense to me, except for understanding this kind of behavior as a mental disorder.

It's true. I'm sorry. If you go to the gym for the express and distilled purpose of looking like you go to the gym, you suck. body builders are the worst. A muscular body should come only as a result of pursuing hardship in a different avenue. A super strong brick layer is more impressive - and likely a better human - than a super-shredded bodybuilder.

it's the fetishization of the worst part of humanity, attaining a visual end point that is completely contrary to the very idea of what should put a human in shape to attain such a physique in the first place.

Bodybuilders are self-conscious man-ladies.

That is a pretty ridiculous statement. Who are you to decide what is an acceptable goal of ones hard work, or what is important....? How is scoring a goal in a sport more important than them going on stage? It isnt.

Its not for you and thats ok. Its definitely not for everyone. Neither is baseball or any other sport. No reason to shit on the people for taking part in it.

bullshit.

BJJ is actually a sport, whereas bodybuilding is the male equivalent to putting on makeup.

It's the tenuous recess for pseudo-men desperate to claim an identity as man. It's a sure sign of a complete pussy.

If you go to the gym to get stronger or to train, you're a man. if you go there to bodybuild - to adorn yourself with a nicer-looking package, then you're a complete wiener.

Get off your high horse.

Lol this dude. Training to be able to hurt another person isnt an inferiority complex but training to look good is.

Holy fucking hypocrisy.

BJJ is a funny thing. It's one of the few 'sports' where a guy can train three times a week for a year and get a massive superiority complex over the rest of the general population. Then they'll whine and moan on the internet about a wrestler coming in and using too much 'strength'.

This is coming from a guy that's competed in BJJ for 7 years by the way and never once did bodybuilding.

A muscular body should come only as a result of pursuing hardship in a different avenue. A super strong brick layer is more impressive - and likely a better human - than a super-shredded bodybuilder.

Funny example, given that Arnold's first business he ever started in the states was a brick laying business and he employed several of his bodybuilding pals. My question for you: Are body building brick layers good humans? lol

Body building is the primitive responses of an inadequate, juvenile brain wrapped up in egocentricism and magazine advertisements. It truly is, as I started out in this thread saying, a mental disease. It's like bulimia for dudes. It's saddening.

Are you sure you're not talking about martial arts?

I understand hating on BB, but it takes so much damn dedication and discipline. Way more than Bjj, unless you are a full time Bjj'er who is medaling at worlds or something.

Body building Top Ten

1.Arnold
2.Frank Zane
3.Flex Wheeler
4.Dorian Yates
5.Lee Haney
6.Kevin Levrone
7.Jay Cutler
8.Ronnie Coleman
9.Shawn Ray
10.Greg Kovaks (personal fav R.I.P)

Ronnie at 8? Lol... maybe just a personal opinion, but it's hard to argue against Ronnie being the GOAT.

tumblr_mv8dwc4MWJ1s9sgkco2_r1_400.gif

Yaaa buuddy!

I like the physiques of Hodgetwins & mike Chang. I know hodgetwins are 100 % natural, I believe mike Chang is as well, but not sure.

Never understood it.

I've met shitloads of girls who are turned on by big, muscular guys. I have yet to meet a single girl who finds bodybuilders' physiques attractive - quite the opposite in fact, majority of girls I've asked have found it repulsive.

Ronnie at 8? Lol... maybe just a personal opinion, but it's hard to argue against Ronnie being the GOAT.

tumblr_mv8dwc4MWJ1s9sgkco2_r1_400.gif

Yaaa buuddy!

I think Ronnie was arguably the strongest bodybuilder that we've had given his Squat Dead, and Bench numbers, Columbo was freaky stong too. I just always felt Ronnie's Calves and distended Belly took a away from him. if he did more ole skooll vacuum posing with his gut sucked all the way in he'd be higher in my book. and tbh I got the chance to meet him in person last year. ....he didn't look that big and looked like he was struggling to walk.....i'd probably tap him wicked quick

Never understood it.

I've met shitloads of girls who are turned on by big, muscular guys. I have yet to meet a single girl who finds bodybuilders' physiques attractive - quite the opposite in fact, majority of girls I've asked have found it repulsive.

Lol@thinking top level bodybuilders(i.e. the 'freakishly' big ones) are doing it to impress girls.

Back