Biden administration expected to emphasize climate science over lunar exploration at NASA

The drive for space exploration is the drive for innovation. And if these assholes were really serious about solving global warming they would push for nuclear. You don't even need every country to do nuclear energy. The biggest producers of carbon emission also happen tobe the ones most capable of a robust nuclear energy program. If even the top five pushed hard for nuclear energy then all the real issues with carbon would vanish.

But we know the truth. They don't really want to fix things because they are power and money hungry grifter pieces of shit.

The drive for space exploration is the drive for innovation. And if these assholes were really serious about solving global warming they would push for nuclear. You don't even need every country to do nuclear energy. The biggest producers of carbon emission also happen tobe the ones most capable of a robust nuclear energy program. If even the top five pushed hard for nuclear energy then all the real issues with carbon would vanish.

But we know the truth. They don't really want to fix things because they are power and money hungry grifter pieces of shit.

hi ocfightfan,

who will pay for the nuclear plant you wish to build?

what state do you envision as the final resting place for nuclear waste? the containment mechanism to store this waste will have to hold for 100,000 years, and of course, someone is going to have to guard it.

*muses*

if Julius Caesar had nuclear power plants, we'd still be guarding the waste from that plant today.

- IGIT

Last edited:
hi ocfightfan,

who will pay for the nuclear plant you wish to build? what state do you envision as the final resting place for nuclear waste?

- IGIT

A robust energy infrastructure is always a mix of public and private investment, especially at the startup. Thorium reactors can use nuclear waste as fuel.

There are a number of problems with so called "green" energy. The first is that it will never produce the amount of energy we need to have a modern society. The second is that it just can't produce that energy on demand, which is what we really need. Do you really want to be on the operating table when a cloud passes over the hospital solar panels?

Thorium reactors can use nuclear waste as fuel.

hi ocfightfan,

the thing is, commercial scale Thorium reactors don't exist. you might as well just say we can use Unicorn power.

anything else?

also, you blame this entity called "they" for all of this. who are "they"? who are you referring to?

- IGIT

hiya Cirris,

one question; are you a big fan of deficit spending?

i'd like to see NASA continue its earth studies, particularly as they relate to Agw. at the same time, i'd like to see Artemis continue.

how is this paid for?

- IGIT

I'm all for pulling some funding from military spending and funneling it towards NASA and space projects.

Considering we now have a "space force." Developing NASA is a sideways way of developing support for the Space Force branch of the military.

Our military budget is at around $700 billion dollars, NASA and space spending is barely 3% of that. You could take just 2.5% of the military budget and send it to the NASA programs and literally double their spending.

This is basically the metamorphosis of Joe Rogans brain.
Nameless devine entity made us, realized it may have made a few mistakes, then it figured it would just correct those mistakes on another planet a few billion light years away. It knew we were too retarded to even get to a Type 1 civilization so he didn't have to worry about us finding "them".

hi ocfightfan,

who will pay for the nuclear plant you wish to build?

what state do you envision as the final resting place for nuclear waste? the containment mechanism to store this waste will have to hold for 100,000 years, and of course, someone is going to have to guard it.

*muses*

if Julius Caesar had nuclear power plants, we'd still be guarding the waste from that plant today.

- IGIT
AFAIK, nuclear waste is actually very tiny and even if it gets out into the environment in 200-300 years, we’re talking about a temporary local disaster, Chernobyl today has a lot of wildlife because humans don’t go there anymore.

The first generation of animals got mutations but the survivors pushed through and the environmental impact was not that serious.

France has handled nuclear energy well, it’s not one of those things where it’s theoretical.

hello Yehudim,

AFAIK, nuclear waste is actually very tiny and even if it gets out into the environment in 200-300 years, we’re talking about a temporary local disaster, Chernobyl today has a lot of wildlife because humans don’t go there anymore.

a local disaster that's temporary? you'll have to define temporary, i think.

France has handled nuclear energy well, it’s not one of those things where it’s theoretical.

i don't know what "France has handled nuclear energy well" means. if you mean they haven't had a 3 mile Island type meltdown, i agree.

if you mean they have solved what to do with their high level waste long term, you are incorrect. that stuff will have to be sealed and guarded (for all practical purposes) forever.

if Julius Caesar had nuclear plants, we'd still be guarding the radioactive waste from those plants in the here and now.

- IGIT

hello Yehudim,

i don't know what "France has handled nuclear energy well" means. if you mean they haven't had a 3 mile Island type meltdown, i agree.

if you mean they have solved what to do with their high level waste long term, you are incorrect. that stuff will have to be sealed and guarded (for all practical purposes) forever.

if Julius Caesar had nuclear plants, we'd still be guarding the radioactive waste from those plants in the here and now.

- IGIT
I think if Julius Ceasar had nuclear plants, the Romans would have found a way to dispose of it in the next 1400 years of the Roman Empires existence.

I don’t know that is a good argument when we are talking about such long time frames where people may not be able to read the warnings of a nuclear waste site.

I don’t know that is a good argument when we are talking about such long time frames where people may not be able to read the warnings of a nuclear waste site.

hi Yehudim,

i just think its relevant to remind folks posting about nuclear power that we are indeed talking about long time frames - and these time frames pose questions that no one has the answers to.

- IGIT

hello Yehudim,

- IGIT
Apparently there is a new type of nuclear plant that produces far less waste that just got approval. @Whippy McGee made a thread about it not too long ago.

Apparently there is a new type of nuclear plant that produces far less waste that just got approval. @Whippy McGee made a thread about it not too long ago.

Small Modular Reactors (SMRs).... it should be interesting to see if Biden does gain the Presidency if his administration will throw out this amazing technology. China was ALL IN with the Gates Foundation, until Trump saw it, didn't want China having that before the U.S. and stomped on the deal, but at least Trump ensured a U.S. company NuScale (Fluor Owns) would move forward with it. Good on Trump for these moves.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...or-revolutionary-nuclear-power-plant.4140984/

Enjoy.

hello Headkicktoleg,

if its the wave reactor that Mr. Gates was working with China on, or a plunge into developing a Thorium plant, terrific.

i am all for it.

- IGIT

it should be interesting to see if Biden does gain the Presidency if his administration will throw out this amazing technology.

hullo there Whippy,

it does not seem as if President-elect Biden plans to throw out this amazing technology.

enjoy!

The idea that Republican Administrations are pro-nuclear and Democratic ones are anti-nuclear is one of those enduring myths, like the idea that Republicans are better for the economy than Democrats.
Biden’s plan calls for development of small modular reactors, specifically because SMRs are ideal for load-following or backing up wind, even better than natural gas. The Plan calls for “leveraging the carbon-pollution free energy provided by existing sources like nuclear and hydropower.”
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesc...ration-do-for-nuclear-energy/?sh=1c14eee31dd9

-
IGIT

hey there OC,

A robust energy infrastructure is always a mix of public and private investment, especially at the startup.

we'll have to see the Senate is in the mood to spend, my friend.

Thorium reactors can use nuclear waste as fuel.

yes, i know this. large scale commercial Thorium plants don't exist, though.

- IGIT

hullo there Whippy,

it does not seem as if President-elect Biden plans to throw out this amazing technology.

enjoy!

The idea that Republican Administrations are pro-nuclear and Democratic ones are anti-nuclear is one of those enduring myths, like the idea that Republicans are better for the economy than Democrats.
Biden’s plan calls for development of small modular reactors, specifically because SMRs are ideal for load-following or backing up wind, even better than natural gas. The Plan calls for “leveraging the carbon-pollution free energy provided by existing sources like nuclear and hydropower.”
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesc...ration-do-for-nuclear-energy/?sh=1c14eee31dd9

-
IGIT

That's good news for the nation, but I have already seen how the Democrats shut down San Onofre and will do the same to Diablo Canyon in 2024.

That's good news for the nation, but I have already seen how the Democrats shut down San Onofre and will do the same to Diablo Canyon in 2024.

hiya Whippy,

lets just, for at least a few months, agree to agree Whippy.

we tend to disagree on so much, and this seems to be an idea that you and i can both get behind.

- IGIT

Good move by President Biden.

Long distance space exploration is a childish endeavor when the world is facing real problems that we need to solve.

It's like they're actively looking for a backup planet so they can say fuck it and leave the rest of us here.

Nope. Its so we can move our earth polluting industry elsewhere and find out exactly how our planet works. Thats hard to do if you ignore space. There are no back up planets in the solar system.

Its like living on a island where there isnt a lot of food and then bashing anyone that tries to explore the waters around it knowing its full of fish. 'We have problems here!' Ya no shit. We're just shooting ourselves in the foot by ignoring space. At least private space companies are picking up the slack.

I'm all for pulling some funding from military spending and funneling it towards NASA and space projects.

Considering we now have a "space force." Developing NASA is a sideways way of developing support for the Space Force branch of the military.

Our military budget is at around $700 billion dollars, NASA and space spending is barely 3% of that. You could take just 2.5% of the military budget and send it to the NASA programs and literally double their spending.

military and NASA are two sides of the same coin. When NASA creates technology to look out to the stars, the military uses it to look at the enemy. When the military makes advances in rocket technology, it’s also applied to rockets to go out in space. Autonomous vehicles used for war establishes the technology used in space.

Back