Bhop v Calzaghe- BS of a decision

1999-2000 B-Hop would pound out a decision against Joe Cal though. Maybe even a late round KO.

I had first half of the fight for Hopkins. He was using his ring dexterity. Giving him angles, clinching, countering effectively. But he lost steam on the second half and Joe Cal picked it up. I saw Joe Cal throwing a lot in the second half, but not a lot of that stuff landed. But if you don't retaliate from an onslaught, you lose the rounds. I hate to say this, but B-Hop most likely took the low-blow breaks because he needed a second wind. I was pulling for the old lion. But even though he lost, the old lion still had a lot left in his tank.

Very fair post! Bravo.

I think a lot of people are giving Hops too much grief and are not putting this in perspective.

This is a 43 year old man in the ring against one of the game's very best.

Obviously Calzaghe isn't young, and nor Hops really very undersized versus Joe, but I have painful memories of Duran having nothing against William Joppy and gotten smacked around.

From Yahoo Sports:

Ask yourself this question. If a white fighter (MMA or boxing) said there is no way he will ever lose to a black man, do you think the white fighter would have been in a lot of hot water in the media and lost sponsors?

When the buy numbers come back, if this fight does well, i'm sure we'll see a white guy follow Bhop's lead and say something similar. Whitey been copying the black man forever.

When the buy numbers come back, if this fight does well, i'm sure we'll see a white guy follow Bhop's lead and say something similar. Whitey been copying the black man forever.

Please. Elvis was the first rapper.

Hell I was really impressed with B-hop. Defensively the guy is a master. He didn't really take any significant damage the whole fight and to nullify a fighter of JC's class at 43 years old was astounding. Pity he couldn't muster any offence.
I'm a JC fan btw but B-hop made him look clumsy and awkward in there and clearly showed who was the superior ring technician. Did I think JC won the fight? Yes clearly. Boxing isn't about defending for 12 rounds and if Cortez wasn't in the pocket he'd have had a much harder time. He'd have lost by a much bigger margin if he wasn't allowed to clinch at will and grind his face into JC every other second and fake low blows. He looked old in there which was no surprise given the nature of the fighter he was facing.

JCHopkins1.gif

I had it 115-113 to Calzaghe and the stats clearly reflect that he won.
I was impressed by B-Hop but people are forgetting that he trades fitness for experience in fighting a younger man like this.
Great professional performance by Calzaghe

1999-2000 B-Hop would pound out a decision against Joe Cal though. Maybe even a late round KO.

Would be a different fight from both guys, in that era Calzaghe was hitting much harder. I've always thought Calzaghe would beat Hopkins & nothing on Saturday showed me otherwise. I do definitely see where you're coming from though.

I had it 1 point for calzaghe. But this fight was dead even to me. Calzaghe clearly won 5 out of the last 6 rounds to close it. I almost wanted to give it to joe after all the acting hopkins was doing.

Hopkins gave away rounds in this fight. He was dodging a lot of Calzaghe's shots, but he wasn't throwing back. Pity. Being old is a sonofabitch. Whattado?

Hopkins gave away rounds in this fight. He was dodging a lot of Calzaghe's shots, but he wasn't throwing back. Pity. Being old is a sonofabitch. Whattado?

That's what Hopkins does. He gives away rounds and expects his reputation to win those rounds based on "ring generalship".

"Ring generalship" seems to be the preferred term for when a "legendary" fighter or a perceived "smart" fighter does nothing and fans don't want to admit he lost the round.

That's what Hopkins does. He gives away rounds and expects his reputation to win those rounds based on "ring generalship".

"Ring generalship" seems to be the preferred term for when a "legendary" fighter or a perceived "smart" fighter does nothing and fans don't want to admit he lost the round.

Biggest bs ive read on this site.

I just got to watch the fight in its entirety and I had Calzaghe ahead 115-112.

Calzaghe should of had a UD, what was one judge thinking, after the 5th Calzaghe took over and controled the pressure. Hopkins is always sore loser.

qft.

hopkins needs to do some serious research into joe's genetics to discover he's got some asian, african, or hispanic background.

otherwise, he just lost to a white boy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back