Bhop v Calzaghe- BS of a decision

BS in the sense that it should have been 116-111 on every card for Calzaghe.

I think Hopkins has himself to blame for the score cards. He was very inactive and was constantly holding. He would let JC flurry, then Hopkins would throw one punch and then hug JC forcing Cortez to separate. I thought I was watching an MMA fight as Hopkins kept clinching JC over the neck like he was going for the standing guillotine choke. JC threw and landed twice as many punches as Hopkins just about every round per Compubox and for the fight overall. Calzaghe was the aggressor, moving forward and throwing and landing more punches. Hopkins is a crafty fighter, in that he is a great counter-puncher and its hard to hit him, but he let too many rounds go to JC. I don't think JC ever hurt Hopkins, but even the knock-down in the 1st didn't really bother JC as he popped right back up and Hopkins didn't force the issue like he had the guy hurt. The HBO staff (Stewart, Kellerman, Lampley and Lederman) all had JC comfortably ahead on points.

Joe took it. I wanna know what the judge wqho gave it to Hopkins was smoking

I was in a bar watching the UFC. I finally noticed one small TV in the corner showing this fight.

I picked it up in round 10. What I saw was:

1. Joe pressing the action.
2. Hopkins looking like he was trying to get out of the fight via receiving some "low blows".
3. BHop is a shell of his former self. Age has REALLY caught up to him now. The fighter that tore up Tito is long gone.

I could be wrong as I was trying to watch two screens at a time...

Hopkins landed the cleaner blows. Calzaghe landed more glancing shots. It was a close fight that went pretty much according to ******. I was a little surprised that Joe was as strong down the stretch as he was compared to Hopkins. Having said that, Hopkins got the nod on my card.

He'd be stupid not to.

It'd be one of the last big paychecks for taking an ass-whoopin' hell receive. And better Joe than Dawson.

I know im ranting like a hater, but i give joe no credit whatsoever,he cant even beat a 43 year old conclusively and could have gone the other way which it should have, and why are they putting him against washed up fighters such as rjj and de la hoya? he needs to fight raw, hungry, young talent.

BS in the sense that it should have been 116-111 on every card for Calzaghe.

Holy shit. I agree with you for once. 116-111 was my card. The end of the fight was very telling, Hopkins trying to bitch his way to a DQ and Calzaghe playing to the crowd and riding Bernard's tired ass. Calzaghe was the more effective fighter throughout the night. Hell, the first round could've been a 10-9 round because Hopkins did so little other than the right hand.

Calzaghe is king.

I don't know what Adalaide Byrd was thinking when she gave the fight to Hopkins. My scorecard pretty much turned out like a replica of Howard Lederman's. B-Hop still isn't done yet, I would believe he'd still fight guys like Clinton Woods or Glen Johnson. Calzaghe said that he wants to leave boxing on top. I would think that maybe Calzaghe is considering retirement.

That low blow was a low blow. What up with the idiot Max Kellerman implying it wasn't low????

PLease explain to me WHY Hopkins won the fight. With constant grabs and clinches and faking a low blow?

That low blow was a low blow. What up with the idiot Max Kellerman implying it wasn't low????

It was a low tap that landed with the open palm. I think kellerman was implying that Hopkins reaction was over dramatized.

I think the implication was that it wasn't a vicious low blow that required Hopkins to overreact like a 14 year old girl, buying time for his tired old body to rest so he could have a snowball's chance in hell of stealing a decision.

Bernard himself said that it wasn't the impact of the blow itself, but that the hard piece of his protector was jostled loose.

Getting hit in the nuts isn't fun even if it's soft. So fuck all this shit about "faking a low blow." Let me slap you in the ballz and see how fast you're ready to fight a unified World Champion. When ANY low blow lands that was obvious, you get 5 minutes, and no Fighter should be ashamed of taking it.

Back