Better squat, Rippetoe or Squat Rx?

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I've only been squatting for a few months and I'm still trying to perfect the technique. What's certainly not helping though, is the conflicting info I'm getting from different sources. Like the two videos below which seem to conflict with each other.

Which method is right? Is it all just a matter of preference? I don't want to get injured by doing the wrong form.

in my experience, I would say Rippetoe only because the book is far more detailed than the Rx vids, and for someone who has absolutely no clue what they're doing, reading all 70 pages or whatever it is on the squat would be more beneficial.

In terms of actual technique tho, I think the RX vids are "better" in the sense that they cover more "styles" than the very bent over style Rip advocates for that only a very small percentage of trainees will end up sticking to over their lifting career.

neither do squats and play with the form until you find the best squat for you.

That Rippetoe video isn't the best example to watch because the hip drive is exaggerated but the cue of pushing your hips up against his hand can help with hip drive. I haven't had someone push down on my lower back/hips like that but keeping the idea in mind helped me with hip drive. It might not be what everyone needs though.

I'm not a huge fan of Rippetoes technique on Squat or Press.

Look up so you think you can squat. It's a 6 part series of videos that's very detailed. Rips style is very polarizing and typically not favored with other highly qualified coaches. Is it going to kill you? No, but it's probably better to learn a more efficient style from the get go.

My squat is weak still but squat rx was a little better for me. I like the short video by rippetoe that talking about low bar placement, though.

I always good-morning the fuck out of my squats when I do them with Rippetoe's cues.

I like the 'so you think you can squat' video series, very in-depth.

Rippetoe's squat advice had me all fucked up. The hardest part of the squat for most of us is not falling forward. Rippetoe's practically makes you if you're not perfect at it.

That Rippetoe video isn't the best example to watch because the hip drive is exaggerated but the cue of pushing your hips up against his hand can help with hip drive. I haven't had someone push down on my lower back/hips like that but keeping the idea in mind helped me with hip drive. It might not be what everyone needs though.

I learned my squat the way Rip discusses in his book and on his vids, so I am more partial to his "technique." However, I agree that the hip Drawve cue is a little confusing and he doesn't focus enough of hip extension...

But as far as a better technique I think you should find what works best for you...

Rippletoe advises turning your feet out 30 degrees. I asked another CSCS certified trainer at my gym and he said that he prefers keeping his feet straight forward and really sitting back onto the heel.

Rippletoe advises turning your feet out 30 degrees. I asked another CSCS certified trainer at my gym and he said that he prefers keeping his feet straight forward and really sitting back onto the heel.

I started feet straight forward, but found it was limited by my calf flexibility, and didn't engage my hip adductors (a weak area of my hips). So, I loved switching to 30 degrees once I read Rippetoe's technique.

Rippetoe's squat advice had me all fucked up. The hardest part of the squat for most of us is not falling forward. Rippetoe's practically makes you if you're not perfect at it.

That's the way I'm leaning too (no pun intended). I can't seem to stop myself from tipping forward with Rippetoe's method. I think I'm going to try that "so you think you can squat" method and see if it works for me.

I just wanted to make sure that whatever method I tried was safe. I'd hate to end up in the hospital and have one of the nurses tell me "Oh you used the xyz squat method? No wonder you blew out your asshole. Everyone knows that method does that...."

If you end up in the hospital they will probably tell you that you were lifting too heavy, squatting too low, or simply should not have been squatting at all (use the leg press or smith machine, they are safer!). I'd be shocked if your doctor or nurse has even heard of Rippetoe, Squat RX, EliteFTS and the like.

If you end up in the hospital they will probably tell you that you were lifting too heavy, squatting too low, or simply should not have been squatting at all (use the leg press or smith machine, they are safer!). I'd be shocked if your doctor or nurse has even heard of Rippetoe, Squat RX, EliteFTS and the like.

Nurse, and has hurd!!
LOL

ALso about the feet postioning, mine are slightly, and I mean slight pointed out but its far more comfortable that way so I stick with it...

That's the way I'm leaning too (no pun intended). I can't seem to stop myself from tipping forward with Rippetoe's method. I think I'm going to try that "so you think you can squat" method and see if it works for me.

I just wanted to make sure that whatever method I tried was safe. I'd hate to end up in the hospital and have one of the nurses tell me "Oh you used the xyz squat method? No wonder you blew out your asshole. Everyone knows that method does that...."

Both work. If you are writing a research paper or something, do you only use one source? That would limit your results quite substatially. I would take what works from what you read and see and go with that...

Back