Better squat, Rippetoe or Squat Rx?

Foot positioning has more to do with your hip mobility than anything. My hips naturally have a lot of external rotation but limited internal rotation, causing me to prefer to have my toes out. I think you'd be better served to go with what feels most comfortable for you, rather than worry about the semantics of foot angle.

Nurse, and has hurd!!
LOL

ALso about the feet postioning, mine are slightly, and I mean slight pointed out but its far more comfortable that way so I stick with it...

haha true, I should have thought of that.

Anyway, everyone knows the best squat is JACK SQUAT!

snl-bestof-1.jpg

neither do squats and play with the form until you find the best squat for you.

I'm not a huge fan of Rippetoes technique on Squat or Press.

I always good-morning the fuck out of my squats when I do them with Rippetoe's cues.

I agree. I also tweaked my right hip trying to have my toes angled out to the extent Rippetoe recommends. Ultimately, the best squat form is the form that allows you to accommodate increasing weight without injuring yourself, so you can keep squatting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sherdog taught me how to squat.

The video of the Chinese lifters squatting at the Arnold's helped too.

Edit: holy shit, the video is no longer available?!? I really hope someone has that saved.

Sherdog taught me how to squat.

The video of the Chinese lifters squatting at the Arnold's helped too.

Edit: holy shit, the video is no longer available?!? I really hope someone has that saved.

I fuckin hate when that shit happens

I don't particularly like the 'so you think you can squat' videos.
Far too many details and cues to remember them all or even distinguish which ones are most important.
Also, walking out from a monolift to do a high bar box squat, wtf?

Rippetoe's squat advice had me all fucked up. The hardest part of the squat for most of us is not falling forward. Rippetoe's practically makes you if you're not perfect at it.

and what he calls "hip drive" is basically the opposite. If you are driving your hips up instead of forward, you're driving with the legs. Annoys me each time I watch it.

You mean be born with the perfect anthropometry? Dem short femurs and dat long torso.

I know. How old do you think he was when the Chinese government identified him and stuck him in a power rack? Still, the squats are nice.

Big fan of the SquatRx series.

After 30 years of Squatting I'm still learning and recently (last few years or so) SquatRx has done more for my Squat 'well-being' than most other instruction.

Granted, my goals are now different.

Yes, I still want to squat 'big', but now with more consideration for my joints etc.

Ultimately the choice will be a personal preference and down to goals and body structure....etc

Why not experiment with each?

and what he calls "hip drive" is basically the opposite. If you are driving your hips up instead of forward, you're driving with the legs. Annoys me each time I watch it.

The hip drawve cue is not incorrect. It is actually a great way to get people thinking about the movement coming from the hips. However it can be confusing because people can end up GMing the bar instead of extending forward...

I know. How old do you think he was when the Chinese government identified him and stuck him in a power rack? Still, the squats are nice.

Chinese lifters don't need power racks. Just squat stands. If you die from failing a squat, you are honored as a revolutionary martyr.

Chinese lifters don't need power racks. Just squat stands. If you die from failing a squat, you are honored as a revolutionary martyr.

One who dies failing a squat will surely be received into Valhalla.

I don't particularly like the 'so you think you can squat' videos.
Far too many details and cues to remember them all or even distinguish which ones are most important.
Also, walking out from a monolift to do a high bar box squat, wtf?

How can any person who has not seen you squat tell you what cue is most important for you? You have to look at your own squat and see what's wrong. You can then watch this video and figure out which cue will help your squat.

What's wrong with walking out of a monolift?

How can any person who has not seen you squat tell you what cue is most important for you? You have to look at your own squat and see what's wrong. You can then watch this video and figure out which cue will help your squat.

What's wrong with walking out of a monolift?

I just think it's information overload. And he spends several minutes talking about how the bar should be centered/balanced on your back, not tilted to one side. No shit!

The whole (high bar box squats walked out from a monolift) setup is just so bizarre. No one would do that in real life, and it could confuse beginners.

Back